What's new

Shell Fuelsave

I-S

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Now that Shell's fuelsave fuel has been out for a little while, has anyone else tried it and if so what are your thoughts?

Once some discussion is going I will present the figures I have on it, I'll be interested to see other people's.

I tried it once on a full tank compared to the V Power I normally use and I lost out on 70 odd miles.... V Power it is for me! I got 550 miles on a full tank of V Power when I went to London!

i've used it a couple of times (almost always use shell, not always V power though)

Not seen marked improvements / reductions either way yet

I think their claim maybe based on the fuel additives /cleaning agents thus making the engine a little more economical , just like a bottle of Red-ex would! afterall the claim is 1 litre of fuel to a tankful so it wouldn't be a massive saving anyhow.

Although had to use Morrisons fuel to get back from Scotland and the needle was on a quarter and done 430 miles, whereas on the way up with shell did around 460 miles and it was just off half so theoretically there must be some saving, drove pretty much them same each way.

Haven't used it myself but i always use VPD which i don't think will ever be beaten

I didnt do any specific figures ect.... but my experience on one take was the car wasnt as smooth altho I had a 2mpg improvement over my normal weekly travel.

I don't thing you will beat VPD although from my understanding (until i read Fahad rather detailed ****ysis of the actual makeup of it ) i thought the VPD just had the additives in and the standard shell didn't and that was the main difference, however it turns out that it is a completely different marvel of diesel wizzardry!

however now the fuelsave has come out it is going to be interesting to see what happens to the VPD as at 6p a litre difference it has always been harder selling it and alot of the marketing was on how it helped clean the engine, now they are marketing fuelsave in the same manner so will VPD stay?

Not tried it.. and not even been tempted to. Both my Polo and Accord get ONLY V POWER :)

I want to live in Spain.... Just filled with VPD and the price is.....1.164 euro per litre!!! That's around 0.98 pence...

Always used VPP in my 1.8 i s and could tell the difference in performance and smoothness compared to FS.
Just put £20 @ 1.14 p/l of Fuelsave in my new 2.0 ('03) so will see how it get's on and will then try VPP and see what the difference is and report back.

Just finished 100000 miles of VPD in my Tranny so will switch to fuel save for another 100K. Should be a good test....

Just completed a 390 mile round trip from Rhyl to Cardiff and back,mainly good A roads(single and dual carriage) and a little bit of M/way(M4). Overall averaged 38-40 mpg and car ran like dream,so very pleased.

Using mainly FS at moment

Sorry - sticky 000000000 button.... Should be 10000000000K :D. 10K... Still good enough methinks! :p

Consistently use it, find it pretty good as can't afford the V-Power diesel, but every fifth fill up is with vpower diesel.

I started using this as soon as it came out and I had used Shell's standard diesel before. Straight away I saw the difference - the MPG started dropping tank by tank until I stopped using it (probably about 10 tank fulls in all)! The MPG dropped from about 49 to 41 MPG driving the same way on same routes. Just put a few tanks of diesel in from local garage of no-name diesel and back up to 44mpg (and seems to be going up - well according to inflated on-board computer figures). Car due a service but I am convinced this fuel was to blame. Maybe its a way of getting more people to buy VPower!. Note this is in a 2006 i-CTDi with 108k on the clock.

Still using this. MPG down to 41.1 mpg. But not been doing the long runs. Some town driving. In the cold weather, lots of starting the car before deicing it. Heated seats. Lots of air con, etc. Not bad. Due the 150k mile service in 500 miles.

Not tried this, and not going to. You can't beat V Power :(

*edit* deleted reams of fuel stats* Upshot was an average cost of 19p per miles for the Tranny. The same as vPower

Fairly non descript changes for me... Performance is roughly the same. Smoking sightly heavier.

thought i would input in to this thread as i have been doing a fair bit of driving recently.

A drive to ramsgate and back to my house is 300miles.
I have done this 6 times in just over the last 8 weeks.

3 trips where done with VPD
3 trips where done with FS.

sounds silly but, all trips where done with 4 adults in the car + bits, tyrs inflated to 35/36psi.
All journeys done out of traffic hours so basically as fair as possible.

VPD got me on adverage 58mpg ( i saw 60.3mpg and 56.8mpg and 57.9mpg)
FS got me on adverage 52 mpg (seeing: 55mpg(first trip after filling with FS), then 53mpg, then 48 mpg)

now prices.....
VPD here is 138.9p/l
FS here is 127.9p/l

'full' tank is 55L so:
VPD = £76.40
FS = £70.35

to be honest, im not buying this whole 'save up to a litre per tank' rubbish...
I really wish VPD would come down in price, but at the same time i honestly think the engine does run better on the VPD and the fact you do get around 6mpg more isnt that bad :(

Im also running the map that most of you lot are running.
I did want to try this with the eco map but I wont be doing that much driving for a while.

That's interesting Adam, and good results with VPD. It's not always a paper decision though as it's hard to quantify the other benefits of using VPD and you need to factor that into the equation.

The Stage 1 remap definitely prefers VPD as it can compress the diesel much quicker and this really helps with the low down torque - which translates to better economy.

Yes, the engine deffinately felt better, especially when the revs where above 2.5k it was more smooth and a much better power delivery, running FS did feel like the engine had lost a few ponies and was a bit 'gutless'.

im going to try running the eco map for a while as im very interested in the mpg gains of that over this stage 1 tune. i would like to see how it delivers etc.

What are the headline figures of the eco map?

I would think the refined S1 map carefully driven could be just as efficient, or does the Eco map remove the need to "try" and be more economical?

Will be very interested to see how it goes!?

I found not much difference in economy in the old Stage 1 which was more eco emphasised. We just spent time calibrating the settings carefully, taking the best of the eco and the performance of the Stage 2 (without taking a hit on economy) and made the current Stage 1 which has been an Elite best seller for over a year now.

But I'd still be interested in your findings Adam.

I seem to remember you saying pretty much the same thing when we test drove my S1 now actually matey...

It's all down to the right foot in the end ;).

I seem to remember you saying pretty much the same thing when we test drove my S1 now actually matey...

It's all down to the right foot in the end ;).

Sure is mate mines a bit heavy lately :D

I started using this as soon as it came out and I had used Shell's standard diesel before. Straight away I saw the difference - the MPG started dropping tank by tank until I stopped using it (probably about 10 tank fulls in all)! The MPG dropped from about 49 to 41 MPG driving the same way on same routes. Just put a few tanks of diesel in from local garage of no-name diesel and back up to 44mpg (and seems to be going up - well according to inflated on-board computer figures). Car due a service but I am convinced this fuel was to blame. Maybe its a way of getting more people to buy VPower!. Note this is in a 2006 i-CTDi with 108k on the clock.
Ok I thought I would just qualify my view on Fuelsave. I did a search on Fuelsave and found another person moaning about it (on an RAC forum) wrecking the valves in his Merc. I read on carefully.......he reckoned that his fuel was contaminated....... I read on and then ................... I found out that he bought his fuel at the very same filling station that I was buying mine at. Apparantly they had to close the station down for a bit to clean out the tanks. My MPG is now up to 46 (I have been putting some redex in hoping that it will clean any rubbish out. Next stage is to change the fuel filter )........... that said still not putting fuelsave in...

Adam said:
"VPD got me on adverage 58mpg ( i saw 60.3mpg and 56.8mpg and 57.9mpg)
FS got me on adverage 52 mpg (seeing: 55mpg(first trip after filling with FS), then 53mpg, then 48 mpg)

now prices.....
VPD here is 138.9p/l
FS here is 127.9p/l

'full' tank is 55L so:
VPD = £76.40
FS = £70.35"

So, if we take the above figures and extrapolate as per the following computations, we arrive at some very interesting results:

55 litres = 12.98 gallons

VPD: 12.98 x 58mpg = 752.84 miles per tank

FS: 12.98 x 52mpg = 674.96 miles per tank

752.84 – 674.96 = 77.88 more miles on VPD

77.88 / 58 = 1.34 gallons (i.e. 6.09 litres)

6.09 litres @ 138.9p per litre = £8.45

£76.40 – £8.45 = £67.95 (the actual equivalent cost per mile over the same distance)

So, unless my calculations are wonky (please check my figures and tell me if you agree or not) it would appear, that VPD is actually the cheaper fuel, by £2.40 per tank to be precise (using the above figures). In other words, using VPD is cheaper mile for mile, as well as being better for the engine.

Unless Counsel for the Fuel Save Defence can see a flaw in the above, then I rest my case!

Having tried both fuels, my gut feeling on how the engine sounds & feels, is that VPD gives a smoother and less noisy ride.

Having tried both fuels, my gut feeling on how the engine sounds & feels, is that VPD gives a smoother and less noisy ride.[/font][/size]

I rest my case.

Were these readings taken from the highly inacurate trip computer? If so, then I would suggest doing these properly with a Tank fill. 752 out of a tank sounds very ambitious to me, as doe 58mpg. I have had my computer telling me 61 mpg once and as I fill the tank and note the miles and litres each time I know exactly what mpg mine does.

However, I always use VPD anyway and have always used VPP in my prelude an motorbike.

Were these readings taken from the highly inacurate trip computer? If so, then I would suggest doing these properly with a Tank fill. 752 out of a tank sounds very ambitious to me, as doe 58mpg. I have had my computer telling me 61 mpg once and as I fill the tank and note the miles and litres each time I know exactly what mpg mine does.

However, I always use VPD anyway and have always used VPP in my prelude an motorbike.

Good Point. I too note miles & litres each time I fill up. It's the only way to get a really accurate mpg reading.