What's new

Sorry - another seized rear brake calliper thread - calliper replacement recommendations please :-)

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hi Guys,

I know there are loads of threads about seized callipers, but I can't find the info I'm sure seen on here in the not too distant past.

Both my callipers are seized, however they're seized up without rubbing on the discs (because my pads are so worn :huh: ). My discs are unevenly worn as a result of this also.

I wanna just replace the whole lot. Discs, pads, callipers and fit braided lines while I'm at it. Obviously OEM costs the earth and I'm looking for a sensible solution. Does anyone have any recommendations.

Also, I've been browsing the internet for alternative parts. Do all the 7th gen tourers share the same rear brake calliper part or does it differ between 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4?

Cheers,

I suggest you compare the Lings part numbers for the various tourer options on the LingsHondaParts website... convert schematics to show Honda part numbers by deleting '_pfk' from the page URL, so you could search eBay, etc for those Honda parts.

But I would recommend refurbishment of your current callipers at Bigg Red. I have used them recently and can definitely recommend their service.

Cheers Jon

Cheers guy. Just to be on the safe side, should I get the slider pins as well. And am I right in thinking I don't need the carrier, as that's just a block of metal and the new calliper will work with the existing carrier?

I haven't ever felt the need to change slider pins. I wouldn't expect them to wear if it's always be adequately greased. No, the carrier doesn't get changed, it stays on the car.

Just realised we're discussing the rears! Here's the Lings diagram for my diesel tourer (converted to Honda part numbers)...
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__1910&block_03=608&block_05=hcr

The only extra things I've had to replace was the bolts that hold the callipers on (item #18) because the heads rounded badly, meaning that I had to remove them with molegrips. If they're very old then the anti-squeal (backing) shims may be a bit tatty, although some pads come with them anyway... I just fitted Brembo discs and pads to my fronts and they came with shims (pretty sure that Pagids do as well).

My rear callipers are Nissin. I couldn't see any in your link?

EDIT - that one you linked to in your edit is for an older Accord model.

Cliffordski said:
Did it happen in that order ? ^_^
I think I rounded them to some degree the previous time I fitted them. Subsequent removal finished the heads off! In my defence, your honour, the heads are disproportionately small for the thread size. This unfortunately meant I had to buy the replacements from Honda, where they were disproportionately expensive...

Cheers Jon, I'd been looking at that. The Lings prices are way too high! Are you sure that Nissin calliper is for a 6th gen? It says it fits the Accord VII Tourer (CM) 2.4 (CM2) at the top of the page when go to it?

Stevearcade said:
Cheers Jon, I'd been looking at that. The Lings prices are way too high! Are you sure that Nissin calliper is for a 6th gen? It says it fits the Accord VII Tourer (CM) 2.4 (CM2) at the top of the page when go to it?
The table gives different info to where I was looking (next to the photo)!

EDIT - but the OEM number does match. I think the picture is wrong?

Hmmm, well that's nice and confusing! Down below it lists the OEM compatible part numbers and they match up with the Lings parts. Do you reckon it's worth the risk. I mean, while I'm all for saving money, I know if something's too good to be true (price wise), it usually is! No such thing as a free lunch and all that!

Stevearcade said:
Hmmm, well that's nice and confusing! Down below it lists the OEM compatible part numbers and they match up with the Lings parts. Do you reckon it's worth the risk. I mean, while I'm all for saving money, I know if something's too good to be true (price wise), it usually is! No such thing as a free lunch and all that!
Yes, I noticed the OEM numbers were correct too (just edited my post). I think it's worth the risk, at least you can check they're right before fitting. Although i guess you're up against the clock (so to speak) in relation to the MoT retest?

Yeah, also, when you start adding to your basket, those prices are on the condition you return the old ones, which will be a very heavy parcel (expensive) and extra time/effort for what will work out to be a saving of between £10-20, whereas the other site Saj linked, there's none of that, so whilst the parts a little more expensive on the listing, the checkout price is lower.

I think I'm gonna order the callipers and discs now. Gonna get some better quality pads from eBay though, and while I'm having so much done with the brakes, might as well get some braided hoses fitted too ;)

Personally I'd go for the Budweg ones - for the blurb about a complete strip and rebuild. 2098 & 2099, not the handbrake ones.

Cliffordski said:
Personally I'd go for the Budweg ones - for the blurb about a complete strip and rebuild. 2098 & 2099, not the handbrake ones.
Yeah, that's what I've done.

Cheers for your help fellas. Very much appreciated. So that's callipers, discs, pads and braided hoses all for under £300. The best Honda could offer me was calliper rebuilds (from their own calliper people) and OEM discs and pads which would have come in close to double what I've just paid!

Let's just hope it all fits ok :blink:

Also, based on my personal observation in the past, sometimes Honda dealers use the wrong type of grease on the sliders and other areas, which can cause problems (though this won't affect whether the piston seizes)

Great Steve where did you order from in the end I used brakes company i sent link to, i spent around £300 that was 2 rear calipers, mtech discs and trw pads. I returned the old ones for £35 refund i believe it was and they gave me refund prompt. Not sure about other links as have not used them

sent using tapatalk

Cheers guys. Saj, I ordered from brakeparts like you recommended.

:lol:

Jon_G said:
...So it's your fault if there's a problem.
haha

sent using tapatalk

Sorry to butt in on your thread Steve, but I'm confused. The site says there are two options fitted to the tourer. I'm ***uming I need the NON-handbrake calliper?

Im gonna replace both near and offside calipers whilst I take the hub apart to check my grinding noise. Are these the right ones?

https://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/HONDA/ACCORD/03-08/ACCORD%20CL7~CM1%202.0%20PETROL%20SAL~ESTATE/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders

Please help me as I have a history of ordering the wrong parts for every car I've ever owned.

Yep, as Bri says. The hand brake on the tourer is a drum brake.