What's new

Spare / Replacement Key

kingnesh

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-ctdi EX
Right, when I bought my car (directly from a company, used as a company car) the owner of the company and the sales rep that had used the car both claimed that neither had the spare key. Company owner said he had given it to rep when he first got the car and rep said he never got it. To cut a long story short I need to get a spare key and naively thought a replacement would be about £50... How wrong was I!

Well I have been looking at the options and am now looking for advice:

Option 1 - Buy a new key from the dealership, which I have had 2 quotes both around £200. This is a little expensive for a key that I will probably never use. (Unless I loose or break mine or lock it in the car)

Option 2 - Buy a second hand used key (poss from ebay) with transponder inside for around £10-£20 and then buy the blank key from Honda, put transponder in and get it reprogrammed and recut at a dealership. Not 100% sure on costs but I expect it to be considerably cheaper than £200. If anyone has done this, could they let me know of the success and cost?

Option 3 - Buy a second hand key off ebay with transponder, also but one of those flick keys off ebay and get it cut at a local shop and then get honda to reprogramme the transponder to put in the new key. Again not sure what it would all cost, but alot less than a new one from Honda. Also not sure how good the flick keys are on ebay.

If anyone has tried any of the options above or knows of any better cheaper methods of sorting out a spare key it would be much appreciated as I would like to sort one out at somepoint.

Cheers Nick

I had the same problem when I bought my car. I rung a few local dealers and an auto locksmith and ended up paying the dealer about £200. The auto locksmith would have been slightly cheaper but the key he provided would not have the extra tailgate opening button.
It was pretty expensive but it was minimal hassle.
I had read about the blank from ebay idea but thought it would be lots of hassle for a key that may not work in the end.

I bought one of those flip keys from Ebay about 3 years ago and its still going strong. I didn`t get a transponder, I had to transfer it over from my Honda key. I managed to find a locksmith near me who could cut the supplied blank but it took a few attempts and quite a bit of grinding/filing to get it to work.

Option 3 mate. That way you have the 3 buttons and a flip key shell too.

A decent auto locksmith can do these keys, I had some done for the Polo recently and they even supplied the transponder.

Take your existing key to a locksmith and get them to plug it into their machine to see which transponder it needs. Get the transponder ID and then buy a blank one off Google.

On some cars, such as ealier VAG's, their transponders were reprogrammable meaning you could buy a second hand key and reprogram it to work with your car - all you needed was a new blade.

I'm really interested in the flip shell for the key just been looking on ebay and there's this one I ***ume it'll do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-3-Button-Flip-Key-Conversion-key-shell-/390038699227?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad01e3cdb

Mine has been great - although there is a locking pin that has come loose, but it ain't a problem.

The metal they made the blades out of is tougher than normal though and some locksmiths will struggle to mill it to shape.

Whats the locking pin do? does it lock it in the out position or in the closed position? Could you use some superglue on the pin to stop it coming loose? Can you remember where yours came from China or Australia? or do you have the link or ebay seller id still?

I think it holds the blade to the hinge.  It slips out slightly and stops the flip from opening.  I am sure a bit of super-glue will fix it, but you know how it goes with these things.  Normally I just bite the corner of the hinge and it goes back in for another week.

Bit like my love life really.  ho hum.

It is defo Chinese - here is the item number  -  140348011367

Wow that looks really smart, how is it wearing? is it painted? Are the buttons metal or plastic? My buttons are really worn does anyone if we can buy just buttons from Honda?

Buttons are chrome plated plastic, and the whole front and back is a rigid sticker that you apply once the internal gubbins is transferred from the original key.  Remember this is just a shell so won't be much good for you as you'll need the original buttons and transponder.

You get a couple of spares and some Honda "H" stockers to goes on there as well.  The missus hated the idea until I bought it and made up the set...  Now she agrees it works well.

I've got 2 working keys its the original poster who was after a key. I'm just fancying the flip key as I have one for my truck and its really good but no point going down that route if I cant get replacement buttons from Honda.

Thanks guys, might buy a second hand key and a flip key off ebay then and try an auto locksmith nearby to see if he can cut and reprogram :lol:

Right then, hit a bit of a brick wall. Spoke to two auto locksmiths about them reprograming a key (second hand from ebay) and they both said we cant do that but can get you a new one (for £170) so I might as well get a new one at that price. Has anyone had a key that didnt come with their car reprogrammed by Honda and at what cost? as this maybe another option!

Really dont want to pay £200 for a spare key!

Well, you can get the blade cut by the autolocksmith - will Honda do the transponder on its own - it is just a tiny thing, about the size of a hamster ****.

Oooh sneaky Ed :wub: I can see a few new memberships being taken out.. with keys mysteriously being lost over the next few weeks... all for Honda Accords :wub:

It looks like I need to register the code of the fob though! I only have one :(

I have called around 5-6 auto locksmiths in the last couple of days and they are all giving me the same story. Fobs off ebay cant be reprogrammed. Need to know what your current fob is or Honda key number, most order a genuine key from Honda and supply. Cheapest I have found is a place in Nottingham £120 all in for genuine new Honda 3 button fob, cut and programmed.

Might do a bit more investigating of that site though Ed :)

Waiting on a flip key to be delivered from China. Are the accord keys easy enough to get the transponder out? I take it the transponder is the small fuse look alike device that's seperate to the buttons?

Yes and yes - get yourself a set of jeweller's screwdrivers from screwfix...

Awesome, did just look like the case of carefully prying it out. Where does the transponder get it's power from? Thought it would be linked to the battery somehow. Hate not knowing how something works. lol

Dunno - perhaps it is induced current - or just a built in battery of some sort.

I did the whole thing is abotu 20 minutes - but wished I had changed the battery in my alarm innards at the same time :).

The transponder are basically RFIDS, they get the power off the device trying to enquire it. one reason they have to be within close range to disarm the immob

Mine seem to be covered on both my house insurance AND my credit card cover, I'd check yours if you have it....

Use the credit card one first if I were you.

its not worth claiming on your home ins, you may find it hard to find another provider for the next 3-5yrs.

Just summarising my understanding...

I have bought spare key with transponder from Ebay which I am supposed to take to Honda dealer to get it reprogrammed and afterwards get blank key cut from locksmith and Bob's my uncle!!!

Just summarising my understanding...

I have bought spare key with transponder from Ebay which I am supposed to take to Honda dealer to get it reprogrammed and afterwards get blank key cut from locksmith and Bob's my uncle!!!

If its one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-for-HONDA-ACCORD-CRV-etc-NEW-/261017045210?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3cc5d408da#ht_1401wt_1163

DONT GET TIMPSONS TO CUT IT.

Take it to a auto locksmith. I learned a £1400 lesson by letting them cut a key for me. Resulted in 2 weeks using a hacksaw blade to start the car until a new ignition barrel came from Japan. To there credit Timpson's picked up the bill but it was a lot of hassle.

Oh and Honda will code it for £25.

Thanks ,will get auto lock smith to cut it but For me it is more complicated as I have a FRV so it is this one for me..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330629682230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1576wt_656

Get it programmed from Honda for 36 ( thats best quote in W.London)and get a blank from bay and get it cust from Auto Locksmith...

If its one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-for-HONDA-ACCORD-CRV-etc-NEW-/261017045210?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3cc5d408da#ht_1401wt_1163

DONT GET TIMPSONS TO CUT IT.

Take it to a auto locksmith. I learned a £1400 lesson by letting them cut a key for me. Resulted in 2 weeks using a hacksaw blade to start the car until a new ignition barrel came from Japan. To there credit Timpson's picked up the bill but it was a lot of hassle.

Oh and Honda will code it for £25.

I got my last blade cut in a traditional locksmiths shop - he said the metal was rock hard and would have charged more had he known.

Most auto-places near me were not interested in the least. Mind you in London there will be far more choice, Just make sure they have their own indemnity insurance.