What's new

Totally transformed by xenons!

Pacman8184

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 cdti sport GT
I've just completed fitting my 55w 6000k xenon kit, and wow what a difference, especially with led side light bulbs, they look fantastic, I've got a facelift sport GT in pearl white so looks the nuts!
Should be a standard feature on cars these days.
Will post a pic tomorrow. Thanks!

55w too bright dude, you should have stuck to 35w

Looking forward to the pics. whats the colour like? white or are they on the verge of turning blue?

Ryan they have a slight blue colour to them. Just a clean look. As for mot purposes there illegal if not fitted as standard, as they are supposed to have headlight washers and self leveling built into the headlights, but I've got the projector style headlight so the beam is a good pattern and the cops would think they are standard as I've hidden the wiring under the headlights and used the factory blanked off hole in the bottom of the headlight to fit wiring through, so looks totally OEM, as I think the executive models come with them as standard so you can retro fit them
Like me.

But they can't be adjusted correctly if retro-fitted into a halogen housing... the beam 'spill' will be too great.

Jon_G said:
But they can't be adjusted correctly if retro-fitted into a halogen housing... the beam 'spill' will be too great.

I've looked in these and you are totally correct. They cause light scatter and really p1ss people off. Also too from what I understand 4300K are the ones to have if used with the correct head lamps.

Being a cynical old git, I suggest that the retro-fitting of xenons is mostly about make the car look good... functionality is probably also a consideration, but dazzling other drivers isn't!

Hopefully the MoT test will be significantly tightened in the near future to close this daft loophole where VOSA are failing to enforce DoT requirements in this regard.

Jon_G said:
Being a cynical old git, I suggest that the retro-fitting of xenons is mostly about make the car look good... functionality is probably a consideration, but dazzling other drivers isn't a concern!

Hopefully the MoT test will be significantly tightened in the near future to close this daft loophole where VOSA are failing to enforce DoT requirements in this regard.
TBH within the 7th gen the projector lamps aimed slightly down are spot on and does not dazzle the other driver. Also with 4300k it should be very OEM. Also the difference in light is amazing and probably the best mod I did in my Accord. Standard lamps were very poor to say the least

TypeR said:
TBH within the 7th gen the projector lamps aimed slightly down are spot on and does not dazzle the other driver.

I'm getting a bit confused. Is there no real need to have the correct headlamps if you use Xenons in the projector lamps?

Yep! Halogen and Xenons focus very differently. Xenon lenses cut off the beam with a dead straight line on the top. This is done because Xenon's are so damned bright and have a different beam patter (light dispersion is different), the risk of dazzling is very real. Halogens simply don't. Therefore, put Xenons in Halogen lenses and the dispersion of light goes too high. When you're being blinded in your mirrors or by oncoming cars with Xenon, it's usually aftermarket bulbs in Halogen lenses. Cars with proper, working Xenon setups from factory shouldn't dazzle in theory (although they still do over bumps, hills and undulations etc).

Looks like we posted at the same time, but yeah, your link supports what I'm saying. Nice find man.

TypeR said:
TBH within the 7th gen the projector lamps aimed slightly down are spot on and does not dazzle the other driver. Also with 4300k it should be very OEM. Also the difference in light is amazing and probably the best mod I did in my Accord. Standard lamps were very poor to say the least
How can you say they do not dazzle other drivers when you sitting behind the lights? if it's your mate with hid's as well he probably does not want to offend you.

So, that's my mind made up 100% now, no HID kit for the 6th Gen. It's pity because as most know the h/lights are cr4p, even the woman's little Mazda puts the Accords lights to shame. I better get another lot of Osram, Philips etc superduper H7's so, even if they only last 3 months!

The halogen beam pattern only shines up to the left as it's supposed to light up the pavement. I've never been flashed by anyone in mine and had 3 different people I've asked said it's only bright in their mirrors when going round a left hand bend at a certain distance away - but it's not especially dazzling and no different to driving in front of any other car.

I am seeing a growing problem with cars that generate HID dazzle, but I don't believe it is caused by cars that were originally manufactured with them.

Far too many anti-social owners are thoughtlessly (and illegally) retro-fitting HIDs to their cars and are either oblivious to the problems they are are causing, or they simply don't care. And I doubt they inform their insurers about this modification (which technically renders their car unroadworthy).

IMHO, TypeAccord should be advising against the inappropriate retro-fitting of HIDs.

I've aimed mine lower than usual and so far dazzled no one. I understand what people are saying about dazzling. But with
Them aimed down they shouldn't dazzle anyone. And I apologise if people don't like them but they make the road a lot clearer when driving down a dark country road.

MY 7TH GEN TOURER had remarks passed on my first MOT they were very dim after a tip from JonG got some osram night night burners Amazon the cheapest offers, and following skinned knuckles and not a few strong mutterings I can now see as far as I need to, and can blind those HIDS should I feel the need. The worst offenders are those chelsea tractors on unlit roads.

edgeoftime said:
How can you say they do not dazzle other drivers when you sitting behind the lights? if it's your mate with hid's as well he probably does not want to offend you.
Because i have followed and seen my own car approach me and there is no dazzle. No 7th gen has ever dazzled me with HID conversion. Its cars without projector lamps that have the real issues as the pattern is all over the place. The 6th gen is not a car I would put HID's in at all as they are the traditional lamp style.

Neil Pascoe said:
I've aimed mine lower than usual and so far dazzled no one. I understand what people are saying about dazzling. But with
Them aimed down they shouldn't dazzle anyone. And I apologise if people don't like them but they make the road a lot clearer when driving down a dark country road.
Totally agree, Osrams just scratch the surface. HID kits make a massive difference.
Same here, mine aimed slightly lower and I have never once in the 5 years of HID's in this car received a beam from an on coming car to indicate a dazzle

Isn't the issue retro-fitting these is that the lenses need to be swapped too for correct light refraction? I have to agree, there's ALOT of drivers putting daft bulbs in their cars and making me squint far too often. Once saw a Freelander with them in and thinking the person was using high beam due to the insane dazzle, I flashed them to turn them down only for him/her to flash back. Not good especially considering the lights are higher. It's so common here that I am thinking on getting a pair of anti-dazzle shades for night driving.

I would advise (like most here) to remove them unless you intend on somehow making them refract correctly. I hear Philips X-Treme Visions are the best for visability without annoying other road users. I am planning on investing in some for my 6th gen...