What's new

Totally transformed by xenons!

Solvalou said:
Isn't the issue retro-fitting these is that the lenses need to be swapped too for correct light refraction? I have to agree, there's ALOT of drivers putting daft bulbs in their cars and making me squint far too often. Once saw a Freelander with them in and thinking the person was using high beam due to the insane dazzle, I flashed them to turn them down only for him/her to flash back. Not good especially considering the lights are higher. It's so common here that I am thinking on getting a pair of anti-dazzle shades for night driving.

I would advise (like most here) to remove them unless you intend on somehow making them refract correctly. I hear Philips X-Treme Visions are the best for visability without annoying other road users. I am planning on investing in some for my 6th gen...
The 6th gen does not have projector lamps so yes do not install on them. The pattern is all over the place.

The issue, is when HID's are fitted to REFLECTOR lamps, people seem to be mis guided here! Its the reflectors which cause the light splatter and blind everyone

Fit HID's of the correct spec, to a PROJECTOR, and it does exactly that, PROJECT the light in the correct fashion... Your slaughtering the OP for dazzling people because of what you have witnessed by people dazzling you with REFLECTORS, the 7th gen does not have REFLECTORS, it has PROJECTORS..

Hope that is clear enough :)

Not speaking for everyone but I think most of us know that difference. The problem is that there are different types of projector, those designed for filament bulbs as in the case of the gen7 have a different internal set of reflectors and shields than projectors designed for HID bulbs, so even with projectors the light output is different to 'correct' projector lamps with factory fit HIDs.

However, IMO the difference is negligible, and primarily pointed towards the nearside where in proper lamps the beam has a step whereas in filament designed projectors the light goes up to the left at an angle. This difference doesn't cause dazzle to oncoming drivers.

HuskyMan said:
Not speaking for everyone but I think most of us know that difference. The problem is that there are different types of projector, those designed for filament bulbs as in the case of the gen7 have a different internal set of reflectors and shields than projectors designed for HID bulbs, so even with projectors the light output is different to 'correct' projector lamps with factory fit HIDs.

However, IMO the difference is negligible, and primarily pointed towards the nearside where in proper lamps the beam has a step whereas in filament designed projectors the light goes up to the left at an angle. This difference doesn't cause dazzle to oncoming drivers.
Yeah that was what I did mean, but maybe I went in 2 footed haha.

dragging this up from the past but just wanted to add a couple of points.

I've been an MOT tester for 7 years and seen a lot of beam patterns in my time. My 7th Gen with HID's is one of the best beam pattern I've seen and is a lot better than most standard lamps.

As for MOT rules with regards to HID kits, it is actually not possible to fail a car for a HID upgrade as it states that both self levelling system must be working and headlamp wash must be working IF FITTED. If they're not installed then they can't fail it.

The tester may fail for not emitting a white light from the front but this is down to the colour output of the light so as long as you don't go too blue then this shouldn't be an issue.

Hid lights in a reflector lamp normally cause issues. But retro fitted into a projector lamp like those on the 7th gen are nearly as good as factory hid.

I agree completely.

This is taken from the MOT manual for anyone who may have issues with MOT fail and HID kits.

Section 1.7 - Headlamps.
2 Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

Information
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.
In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
HID lamps may be identified by: · taking a few seconds to reach full intensity · having a bluish tinge to the light · having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp · having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.

Our CL7 EuroR has factory hid lights but no
Headlight washers. This may be that it's because the car wasn't intended for the UK market and therefore not fitted with the washers..

If you followed the logic of most of the myths on the Internet, the car shouldn't pass an mot.

7th Gen Tourer said:
Information
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.
In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
HID lamps may be identified by: · taking a few seconds to reach full intensity · having a bluish tinge to the light · having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp · having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.

There's ample vagueness to converse with your MOT inspector here. I know as I've been through my fair share of MOT issues due to faulty headlamp levelling system with factory fitted, self levelling HIDs.

My interpretation of this is: if the car does not have self levelling headlamps or headlamp washers installed, it can still legitimately run HID lamps without issue, providing they're focussed/angled appropriately. Therefore retro fitting HIDs to a car without self levelling and/or washers isn't an issue in my opinion. If the headlamps have projector lenses, the angling and light dispersion normally isn't too much of an issue. Older headlamp housings you'll be blinding everyone, probably unable to focus the beam within legal limits.

Furthermore, is your car lowered? If so, it can be very hard to bring about headlamp movement significant enough for the test (cue the benefit of the doubt). For example, my car is lowered and they gave me the benefit of the doubt one year on account of that they couldn't get the rear to drop enough with the weight of the mechanic standing in the boot (due to stiff springs). Although they knew one of my headlamp adjustors was seized, but the beam angle was good and they were helping me out on the proviso I sorted it for next year, which I did.

So if you don't have factory fitted HIDs and want to run HIDs, it's my opinion, you should be ok to do so. If your MOT inspector gets funny, show him the guidelines online. "Where such systems are fitted" in other words, the system doesn't have to be fitted, but if they are, they must work (as was the case for me)! It's the spare tyre thing. You don't need one, but if you have one, it must have sufficient treat etc...

Well ive been running hids for the last 8 years and never had an issue with MOT.

It's not an MOT issue. Some say it takes the headlights outside their e-marking which would make them not road legal, but the MOT doesn't care about what's road legal or not.

Stevearcade said:
There's ample vagueness to converse with your MOT inspector here. I know as I've been through my fair share of MOT issues due to faulty headlamp levelling system with factory fitted, self levelling HIDs.

My interpretation of this is: if the car does not have self levelling headlamps or headlamp washers installed, it can still legitimately run HID lamps without issue, providing they're focussed/angled appropriately. Therefore retro fitting HIDs to a car without self levelling and/or washers isn't an issue in my opinion. If the headlamps have projector lenses, the angling and light dispersion normally isn't too much of an issue. Older headlamp housings you'll be blinding everyone, probably unable to focus the beam within legal limits.

Furthermore, is your car lowered? If so, it can be very hard to bring about headlamp movement significant enough for the test (cue the benefit of the doubt). For example, my car is lowered and they gave me the benefit of the doubt one year on account of that they couldn't get the rear to drop enough with the weight of the mechanic standing in the boot (due to stiff springs). Although they knew one of my headlamp adjustors was seized, but the beam angle was good and they were helping me out on the proviso I sorted it for next year, which I did.

So if you don't have factory fitted HIDs and want to run HIDs, it's my opinion, you should be ok to do so. If your MOT inspector gets funny, show him the guidelines online. "Where such systems are fitted" in other words, the system doesn't have to be fitted, but if they are, they must work (as was the case for me)! It's the spare tyre thing. You don't need one, but if you have one, it must have sufficient treat etc...
Correct, if your car doesn't have them, they don't need to be there or be tested.

As for "It's the spare tyre thing. You don't need one, but if you have one, it must have sufficient tread etc..."

This is just a myth too as the spare tyre isn't a failure point for the test.