What's new

(Tutorial) Painting Grill Euro-R Style

Blong91

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport 2.0
Hi guys, done this to my car so thought I would throw up a guide :)

First of all, gather the supplies. I got around 200-1200 grit.

IMG_20140326_142049.jpg

To remove the grill, pop off the clips using a flathead screwdriver and pull it out.

IMG_20140326_144313.jpg

Flip it over, there are a few screws here to take out. I have highlighted some of them, they are obvious.

moS6khJ.jpg

Once these are took out you are left with this:

IMG_20140326_144655.jpg

Then to get the other strip of chrome, pop the bonnet and towards the top you should see four 10mm bolts. Remove these and slide the strip off, be very careful here as the chrome is easy to break like I did to mine...

KCJU7AV.jpg

Then heres how I did it:

Sand, starting with the roughest and moving up
Clean and dry it off, mask if needed
1 layer of etch primer
2-3 layers of grey primer:

_20140326_221220.JPG

3 layers of Arctic Blue:
2-3 layers of clearcoat:

IMG_20140326_183744.jpg

All back together: :)

IMG_20140327_222212.jpg

IMG_20140327_222234.jpg

Will get some pics of it on the car tomorrow. Cheers

Oh, and as I said the chrome is easy to break, here is mine snapped in 2:

IMG_20140327_190132.jpg

If anyone could help me get this strip at a decent price it would be greatly appreciated. Honda are looking £40+ lol

If I can get good condition bonnet,I can sell you chrome bit.

my chrome bit didn't snap in half, one of the nuts seized and snapped the stud, hasn't affected it, lucky

Does your paint colour match up ok? thats the only concern when it comes to colour coding is that its always a slightly different shade when using rattle cans!

pyQ9pt1h.jpg

That's it on! Very happy except the cracked part. It is very very close and you wouldn't know unless attention was brought to it. I'm very picky but am happy with the match. Will also look closer when everything has been washed at the same time.

Wow very nice! Your shade of blue is unique, not seen an accord of that colour before!? the colour match seems very good too! nice work buddy!

It's reasonably common. I think it's Electric Blue or something like that. It's my second Favourite colour Accord after the Red one.

Great work by the way. Looks awesome!

Great work, looks much better. One of the best Accords i've seen in this colour is James's from South West Tinting. :)

Very nice indeed.

Just to note, your font isn't a legal one on your plates, not sure if you bought it like that or not. If a copper fancies it, you may face a £60 fine. Plus they are phasing out tax discs next year (info is going to be recorded electronicly on reg reading machines) it might make it even more likely that you are pulled over if you havn't yet. I'd change it as soon as you can personally, plates can still be made cheaper than the minimum fine.

Ahh right ur last pic made ur car appear a lighter shade of blue, which looked odd.looking at ur build thread show the true colour! Looks good buddy, where did u get ur coloured paint from as I also want a good colour match?

johnny 5 said:
Ahh right ur last pic made ur car appear a lighter shade of blue, which looked odd.looking at ur build thread show the true colour! Looks good buddy, where did u get ur coloured paint from as I also want a good colour match?
Just a local paint shop mate, gave them my colour code. They actually mixed it very badly the first time so I had to paint this twice

Blong91 said:
And about the plate, I put the metros on, tidies it up so much IMO. And in Ireland half the country had them on lol
Fair enough, just thought i'd let you know just in case. Around here, you would get knicked for it in no time, though you would be amazed what some people (or Barry's) get away with in terms of plate fonts.

What's next? I should think getting "EuroR" badging can't be easy...

This looks great, same colour as my wagon too. I need to find somewhere that can mix it because most places don't stock it.