What's new

VSA Modulator Light

Thanks brett. Called Honda UK and they will get back to me within 3 working days. Guys at the dealer said to have a moan to HUK and hope for the best.

They also identified that my sidelight needed replacing and 0.5 lt engine oil needed topping up. Said no thanks and Will do it myself :)

To make things worse my check engine lights just come on!! Coincidence after handing it over to them it decides to pop up?

The dealer should be acting on your behalf really - surprised they told you to go it alone.

If you have a FSH from Honda, it apparently works in your favour, although strictly speaking that shouldn't matter.

The mechanical repair in labour for me was £185 so dunno where they're getting their costs from, as the part is £1700.

The dealer should be acting on your behalf really - surprised they told you to go it alone.

If you have a FSH from Honda, it apparently works in your favour, although strictly speaking that shouldn't matter.

The mechanical repair in labour for me was £185 so dunno where they're getting their costs from, as the part is £1700.

I did ask them but they said I had to get in contact with HUK myself which was disappointing. I am hoping that my full Honda service history comes to some use.

How much did you end up paying out of your own pocket?

When I start my car sometimes I get "CHECK VSA SYSTEM" on the instrument panel, then it disappears. I press the VSA button and the warning triangle lights up. I'll get HH to look at it at the meet.

Don't panic... this is all normal.

@Kashim I paid only for labour and mine was out of warranty too. Mine was a special case however as honda cs made so many mistakes in handling my case they eventually accepted their faults and gave me the part for free. £185 labour cost all in.

@Kashim I paid only for labour and mine was out of warranty too. Mine was a special case however as honda cs made so many mistakes in handling my case they eventually accepted their faults and gave me the part for free. £185 labour cost all in.

Guessing I wont be as lucky as you were. But reading from previous posts I see you went through a LOT of trouble with this VSA issue. Admire your perseverance!

How difficult is it to change the VSA?

I am considering buying an 05 Tourer which was around 95k miles and is quite clean looking but has no service history.

The VSA light is on but the car runs normally and the engine sounds good and performs well.

The check engine light is also on and the ABS light is on.

I was planning to buy an Cat C damaged car for parts and change the relevant parts.

Any ideas?

How difficult is it to change the VSA?

I am considering buying an 05 Tourer which was around 95k miles and is quite clean looking but has no service history.

The VSA light is on but the car runs normally and the engine sounds good and performs well.

The check engine light is also on and the ABS light is on.

I was planning to buy an Cat C damaged car for parts and change the relevant parts.

Any ideas?

From what i've read in the past it isn't a major job, however the main issue is finding a working module, there has been loads of cases where people have either sent them off for repair, or got one from a breakers, only for it not to work. Some have been lucky also, however with fitting the revised part, it effectively is a waiting game.

Finally got a call from HUK this morning. Got quoted £450 plus vat for the part and labour is an additional charge for 2.3 hours. They took into consderation that I had FHSH. The woman was very kind and helpful so I am happy about that. Slipped a message saying today is my cars 4th birthday :) so kinda broke the ice lol!

I have AA parts and labour cover of upto £500. Will the AA cover this? Thinking of calling them out.

great result

Finally got a call from HUK this morning. Got quoted £450 plus vat for the part and labour is an additional charge for 2.3 hours. They took into consderation that I had FHSH. The woman was very kind and helpful so I am happy about that. Slipped a message saying today is my cars 4th birthday :) so kinda broke the ice lol!

I have AA parts and labour cover of upto £500. Will the AA cover this? Thinking of calling them out.

Just replied in the other post mate but will copy here too!!

Kashim, you need to be very careful with the AA mate, if you read the small print on your breakdown cover it stipulates you have to break down and then be recovered to a VAT registered garage to complete the repair, the garage has to contact the AA for authorisation to go ahead with the work.

As the car is still perfectly drivable even with the VSA light lit, all the repair man will do is advise you to this effect, there is no way on gods green earth that the AA will pay for this repair under your breakdown warranty without some very inventive and elaborate story from yourself as to why the car cannot be driven with it lit, also once you call them out, the fault is logged and any future claim of a similar nature will be questioned.

Basically, what i am saying is that the warranties issued by the AA/RAC etc are fine as long as the car suffers a problem that renders it undrivable, anything else they class as wear and tear and they will not cover the repair.

As an example, my last car, Mondeo estate, i had an intermittent fault that caused it to cut out/fail to start, it happened a few times and i called the AA to get me mobile again on two occasions, on the 3rd occasion i refused to drive the car home even after the patrol man got it started again and insisted on it being recovered to my mates garage, when i contacted them to get authorisation they questioned why repairs had not been carried out on the previous 2 occasions, it took some negotiation to convince them that the starter motor had failed on the 3rd occasion, in the end they paid for the investigative work and a new starter motor which in total was coincidentally just over £500

Just replied in the other post mate but will copy here too!!

Kashim, you need to be very careful with the AA mate, if you read the small print on your breakdown cover it stipulates you have to break down and then be recovered to a VAT registered garage to complete the repair, the garage has to contact the AA for authorisation to go ahead with the work.

As the car is still perfectly drivable even with the VSA light lit, all the repair man will do is advise you to this effect, there is no way on gods green earth that the AA will pay for this repair under your breakdown warranty without some very inventive and elaborate story from yourself as to why the car cannot be driven with it lit, also once you call them out, the fault is logged and any future claim of a similar nature will be questioned.

Basically, what i am saying is that the warranties issued by the AA/RAC etc are fine as long as the car suffers a problem that renders it undrivable, anything else they class as wear and tear and they will not cover the repair.

As an example, my last car, Mondeo estate, i had an intermittent fault that caused it to cut out/fail to start, it happened a few times and i called the AA to get me mobile again on two occasions, on the 3rd occasion i refused to drive the car home even after the patrol man got it started again and insisted on it being recovered to my mates garage, when i contacted them to get authorisation they questioned why repairs had not been carried out on the previous 2 occasions, it took some negotiation to convince them that the starter motor had failed on the 3rd occasion, in the end they paid for the investigative work and a new starter motor which in total was coincidentally just over £500

Thanks for the advice Paul. I just read the T&C and bit bummed, but cant really complain as HUK have done me a huge favour by taking off a substantial amount of the repair bill. Just going to appreciate that gesture and work extra shifts at work and scrap holiday plans to make up for it! :D

UPDATE: Just got told that the whole repair will cost £805 all in. Labour £262??

UPDATE: Just got told that the whole repair will cost £805 all in. Labour £262??
Great mate good old HUK you will nether get from any German company's.
That is about 45% of the cost that they are paying your very lucky as lots of other members has had no luck.

That is true Brett and I am grateful for that but looking at what others have been chargedfor labour, seemsto be quite bit more

I rang the dealer where I got my last service done to see if they can better it and got quoted 275!! Rob she did mention being in London. Though she said she will speak to her supervisor and see if they can lower the price if at all and let me know tomorrow. Will spend tomorrow ringing Honda dealers around London.

I am though planning a trip up north in the next week to collect family. Considering calling Holdcroft Honda and see what they can do :D they seem very helpful!

£120 an hour is a little high even for London village. Try Norton Way Honda (Letchworth) - I think they are around the £80, but HH would be an even better bet.

£120 an hour is a little high even for London village. Try Norton Way Honda (Letchworth) - I think they are around the £80, but HH would be an even better bet.

Thanks for the heads up mate, does their price include VAT?

Can't remember bud, but HH will no doubt do you a deal if yo mention TA. Why not try and squeeze yourself in on the meet? Might be an interesting one for people to watch.

Can't remember bud, but HH will no doubt do you a deal if yo mention TA. Why not try and squeeze yourself in on the meet? Might be an interesting one for people to watch.

Will give HH ring and speak to the team. I'm going up north most likely next Wednesday so if the meet was then, I would be more than happy for everyone to have a look.

if you fancy giving me a hand aswell that would be great allso. plenty of spanners to go round.

Lol, dude I'm a tool and really useless when it comes to cars, therefore will be leaving it the pros such as yourself :)

Hi All,

I know its been months, but only got round to getting my tame mechanic to fit the new ABS/VSA pump just over a week ago. Everything works - first time in 6 months with no VSA warning light on the dash. Result! So, total cost was: £250 eBay pump (turned out to be faulty - sh*t happens; had to get another pump as couldn't afford for car to be off the road for more than a day at a time), £350 for ECU testing to repair (2 year warranty), £90 to fit. Not cheap, but way cheaper than going to a Honda dealer!

Cheers, Jerry

Hi Guys,

Sent my unit to ECU Testing. Posted last thing on the Tuesday, it arrived with them sometime Wednesday. Thursday got texts and emails from them saying they'd got it, tested it, repaired it and dispatched it (after a call from them to take my credit card details!). Got it back on the Friday. That's what I call a prompt service. Total bill £350+postage+VAT. They also confirmed that the repair was carried out in the metal block part of the pump and not in the black plastic box part (although this now has anti-tamper seals stuck across the joins).

Haven't had it fitted yet - will wait until after the Easter break. Will report back when fitted.

Cheers, Jerry

Glad you got it sorted Jerry.

You should have sent the faulty one back to the ebay seller - my guy refunded mine as it too was faulty.

Hi Rob, Did consider that, but getting hold of one with the right part mumber was tricky, so thought I'd just get it repaired. Figured that getting a 2 year warranty was worth it considering the hassle of fitting/removing. I was surprised at the £90 to fit, thought it would be more the way he described the pain it was to remove/fit. He didn't go the remove-bumper route, but (apparently) removed the aircon pump/pipework (so had to re-gas that after) and used over a galon of brake fluid bleedingthe system! Just worrying about a rattly timing chain now (Honda dealer 'listened' prior to 125k and said sounds OK for an engine with that mileage!) but that's another thread! Jerry :)

Glad you got it sorted Jerry.

You should have sent the faulty one back to the ebay seller - my guy refunded mine as it too was faulty.

Hey guys, just got back from HH. New VSA modulator put in. Had a few hiccups with HH for a week or two, but that's all in the past and would like to thank the team for all the hard work especially Tony for fitting me in on a Saturday.

I don't know if this is normal, but as I was driving back after repair, in fifth gear and when I put my foot down, it would rev to 3k and then drop down to 2k and climb again? I hope its just a normal thing and just driving it around, it will eventually stop. Spent 700 quid today, can't afford anymore!!

Hi Kashim, had the same problem in 5th and 6th gears turned out to be dual mass flywheel. Hope you've not got the same problem cost me £900 .