What's new

VSA Modulator Light

If the cluth is slipping, get it looked at sooner rather than later. Dont let it get to a stage where is overheats the DMF otherwise it will get damaged.

You guys have got to be kidding me :eek:

It only seems to happen on fifth gear. The others seem fine. There is no way I can afford to spend another 900+!! Already spent 1k and only owned car for 9 months. It was driving all fine before I got it repaired, so ***umed it might be something related to VSA and would go away.

Plus the MOT is due next week!

Frustrating :(

The VSA failure has just been confirmed on my April registered 2005 Accord Tourer iCDTi with 53K on the clock.

Obviously out of extended warranty by some 7 months but within the 62K mileage limit.

Aylesbury Honda contacted Honda UK immediately without any prompting and came back within 30 minutes with a £700 contribution to the part cost.

I resent having to pay anything for a defective component but I am very impressed with Ray at Aylesbury Honda.

Bad news mate, you're better off buying second hand in my opinion.

The VSA failure has just been confirmed on my April registered 2005 Accord Tourer iCDTi with 53K on the clock.

Obviously out of extended warranty by some 7 months but within the 62K mileage limit.

Aylesbury Honda contacted Honda UK immediately without any prompting and came back within 30 minutes with a £700 contribution to the part cost.

I resent having to pay anything for a defective component but I am very impressed with Ray at Aylesbury Honda.
Sorry to hear this mate but a good result from HUK

Bad news mate, you're better off buying second hand in my opinion.

why would you rather risk buying 2nd hand bud,when you dont know what you would be getting/how long it would last?the new ones as far as i know have modified pressure sensors to prevent a reoccuring failure so surely a 2nd hand one is quite a high risk?

Have finally got fed up with looking at the VSA light - it has been on for well over a year - on my 2006 Accord with 84k miles and decided to take it off the road post Xmas and send part off for repair. Can anyone suggest where I can find what used to be called a "parts book" or exploded diagram so I can see what I am doing / need to do? Thanks for any help.

Have finally got fed up with looking at the VSA light - it has been on for well over a year - on my 2006 Accord with 84k miles and decided to take it off the road post Xmas and send part off for repair. Can anyone suggest where I can find what used to be called a "parts book" or exploded diagram so I can see what I am doing / need to do? Thanks for any help.

have you had a quote for repair of the unit?be interesting to hear bud.

Be mindful of repairs dude... there have been more problems than solutions reported here.

I suppose that is par for the course with the interweb.... but still double and triple check the warranties and promises.

I know this is the diesel faults section, however I have an issue with the VSA light so thought it was best to post in this thread.

Have an 03 2.4 type s tourer and every now and again the VSA light and exclamation light come on & stay on, always after turning engine off and back on again it goes out and has only happened 3 times in as many years. Have seen the exclamtion come on in snow etc when the VSA system is working so I am guessing it's functioning correctly. Just wanted some advise of what to do, if anything. cheers...

Have an 03 2.4 type s tourer and every now and again the VSA light and exclamation light come on & stay on, always after turning engine off and back on again it goes out and has only happened 3 times in as many years. Have seen the exclamtion come on in snow etc when the VSA system is working so I am guessing it's functioning correctly. Just wanted some advise of what to do, if anything. cheers...

If the light comes on, but then resets itself when you turn the car off and on again, it's probably a sensor mis-read rather than anything. To determine the actual sensor fail you'll need to get a diagnostic error code dump from the car and this generally can only be done by equipped Honda diagnostic equipment (e.g. SnapOn, etc). The Petrol VSA units seem more solid than the Diesel ones, but the ABS sensors can still fail.

have you had a quote for repair of the unit?be interesting to hear bud.

Quote is for £165+VAT and 2-3 day turnaround with 2 year warranty from ECU Testing LTD.
Unit 7, Slack Lane
Heanor Gate Ind Est.
Heanor
Derbyshire
DE75 7GX

Have done some research among local garages and the company seems to have a good reputation - time will tell if I agree or disagree with this. Certainly phone and email seem very professional. They also say they test unit before trying to repair to confirm the fault - just in case...

Now all I need is some warm weather (ha!) post Xmas and a few gallons of brake fluid..... and am hoping to have car back on road towards end of January. Will post how I get on.

Does anyone know if the 66-1 fault clears itself when a unit is fitted or do I need to connect a tester to do this?

Have a good festive season.

That's a good price with a 2 year warranty.
This guys might be a break through and a way forward for the problem.

If the light comes on, but then resets itself when you turn the car off and on again, it's probably a sensor mis-read rather than anything. To determine the actual sensor fail you'll need to get a diagnostic error code dump from the car and this generally can only be done by equipped Honda diagnostic equipment (e.g. SnapOn, etc). The Petrol VSA units seem more solid than the Diesel ones, but the ABS sensors can still fail.

Ok cool, thanks, will keep an eye on it and just get it checked out next time it's in the garage. Anyone know if the OBD2 USB readers from eBay will read the Accord codes?...

Obd readers won't touch abs related faults. You'll need Honda hds or snap-on readers.

I think its usually the pressure sensors.

Hi

I have a 2007 accord which the vsa light has just come on last week

I went to a local garage and they have found a fault code 66-1 which having read further appears to tbe the doomed modulator . I see that the warranty has been extended but I have 170 k on the car . What do you guys think the best outcome will be , I have read about costs of £1600 .
I am going to contact Honda on Tuesday to see what they say ?

The only thing you can do is ring Honda uk and hope for a good will gesture.
Or there was one for sell on hear I'll try and find it if not try a breakers yard.No just checked and it has been sold .

Interested to hear if anyone has success with ECU-testing or similar. Been driving around with my VSA light on for a year now, but going to have to get it fixed this year due to the MOT change. Not happy. Mine failed at about 75k miles, Honda have said they will contribute (I have full dealer history) but won't discuss how much until I have the fault code read by an official dealership (for which they want £50). If I could get it sent off and repaired for £200-£300 then that's the option I'd go for.

I am taking the modulator off the car on Sat and sending it to ECU for repair. All being well, I should have it back and on the road 2 weeks later. (Most of that delay is my time availability). I will let the forum know how I get on.

Interested to hear if anyone has success with ECU-testing or similar. Been driving around with my VSA light on for a year now, but going to have to get it fixed this year due to the MOT change. Not happy. Mine failed at about 75k miles, Honda have said they will contribute (I have full dealer history) but won't discuss how much until I have the fault code read by an official dealership (for which they want £50). If I could get it sent off and repaired for £200-£300 then that's the option I'd go for.

ECU Testing repaired my ABS/VSA pump for £350. It was back with me within the week along with a 2 year warranty. Been on the car a few months now and so far so good. Go for it!

Cheers, Jerry

Jerry

That's helpful to know. How much did it cost you to have the unit removed/refitted? Or did you do it yourself?

Also, does the fault light just go out by itself once the unit is repaired, or do you have to get it reset somehow?

Joe

With ***istance of a mechanic, we / he had the VSA modulator off the car is about 75 mins without bumper removal . Did need to move a few brackets holding things like power steering reservoirs around as space is very much at a premium. Needed to take care with aluminium pipe for aircon. - also having small hands seems to be a help!! Would expect to remove it quicker next time (!) as this was very much a learning experience. Also, had to make up some blanking plugs for the brake lines to avoid them "dripping" over the time the unit is off.

Left the modulator into ECU this morning and was told it should be ready by Thursday. Expecting a call tomorrow to advise costs of repair so time will tell.

With ***istance of a mechanic, we / he had the VSA modulator off the car is about 75 mins without bumper removal . Did need to move a few brackets holding things like power steering reservoirs around as space is very much at a premium. Needed to take care with aluminium pipe for aircon. - also having small hands seems to be a help!! Would expect to remove it quicker next time (!) as this was very much a learning experience. Also, had to make up some blanking plugs for the brake lines to avoid them "dripping" over the time the unit is off.

Left the modulator into ECU this morning and was told it should be ready by Thursday. Expecting a call tomorrow to advise costs of repair so time will tell.

Excellent - please post back with the cost and whether it was successful!

Hi all,

I was reading this super long thread but I still have a question. My VSA light is on but so it the '!' light. I have had the 66-1 code read by a dealer but could it be something else? Does the standard VSA modlator fault relate to only having the VSA light on or do both lights neeed to be on?

66-1 is the modulator confirmed mate :(

By the way, did you possibly leave me a missed call this week? Someone missed call me and I got their voicemail when calling back for someone called Luke.