What's new

What is your manual gearbox like?

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
Just want to gauge some info on what everyone elses manual gearbox is like, as mine seems to be hit and miss which ruins the pleasure of driving, which might indicate problems with it.

The problems I have on mine is trouble selecting gears, 1st and reverse are the main ones aswell as 4th which I don't bother using anymore. The gear selection is very notchy and 'not a nice feeling', yet sometime its really smooth and slides into gears. My cluth also makes a squeaky and metllic grindy noises, and grindy noises when going over 3-4k.

Anyone else have similar issues or yall got nice buttery smooth boxes?

Buttery smooth mate, check your clutch fluid.
Also there is a common problem of the original clutch slave cylinders not having enough pre-load on the release bearing which can cause a squealing usually at low rpm and can be solved by replacing the slave cylinder as the new slave cylinders put more pre-load on the release bearing.

..............My cluth also makes a squeaky and metllic grindy noises, and grindy noises when going over 3-4k.

Is it slipping aswell? When you accelerate hard or uphill do the RPMs climb yet road speed remains relatively static.

The clutch fluid is the same as brake fluid right in the same reservoir? Where is the gearbox fluid?

The noise is more of a squeak with a metallic grindy texture and it only does it when i depress the clutch, seems like something to do with the pedal and wherever it connects to, quite audiable can hear it from outside with the windows open, its not always there which is odd, like today when I was driving the noise weren't the yet the other day it was making the noise all day.

Clutch isn't slipping it, shifts normal with the revs, also again sometimes when revving it over 3-4k it is hesitant and makes a krrtch metallic noise.

Clutch fluid is seperate from the brake fluid. Gearbox fluid is in the gearbox, it may be worth changing it but i dont think it will be causing the issues you describe. It sounds more like a clutch release bearing or pilot bearing issue.
I had a mazda mx5 that destroyed its release bearing after about 60 miles of it being fitted, it sometimes shifted fine and was quiet, other times it was noisy as hell, squealing & grinding and could feel the judder through the pedal.

How many miles have you got on the clutch? I've had two Hondas were the clutch wore, but they didn't just fail. They made changing gears harder and harder till they did fail.

Car has 82k on the clock and ive only done less than 1500k in the 2 years ive had it, not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced by previous owners.

I looked up clutch release bearing on youtube with vids other people have posted and the sound and everything is different.

The sound and the way it comes about is more similar to these although the tone of mine is different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFViLuqLonQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_ZQxVnHGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8kkEoLi10

Note sure what to do with it as car needs servicing and some maintenance, but would be waste of money if anything expensive fails. :(

I probably don't know enough, but I'd hazard a guess at master cylinder for the clutch. Have you tried re-greasing your O-Ring though? (Wow that sounds smutty when I read it back to myself :lol: !) It's a quick an easy job, you just need the right grease (some O-Ring safe grease). Have a read of this

Liberal amounts of lubricating oil / maintenance spray all over the pedal pivot & master cylinder joint.
Definitely check the fluid level. Barring that...without seeing it in person it's very difficult to diagnose further.

Like I said above, make sure you use O-Ring safe lubrication as otherwise you could end up with more issues.

Did u get this sorted?
mines doing the same now lol. Im 99% sure its the thrust/clutch bearing ;)

Yes and no. The noise is very intermittent, hasn't happened in a few weeks and occurs more when its sort of wet and damp, although does do it in other weather conditions too. But I had a look in the engine bay to see where the noise comes from and its around the slave cylinder area, so probably some of the linkages needs some greasing. Definitely not a thrust bearing or the like as I can't hear any noise usually ***ociated with bearing issues.

Does your one sound like the Subaru vid I posted up? Thrust bearing noise usually dampen when you depress the clutch.

was squeaking on the clutch fork. so i re-greased that and the squeaking stopped.

I have thrust bearing noise when the engine is running then it goes when i press the clutch.
I ***ume the reason im have issues when changing gears sometimes and jolting at high rpm is the clutch isnt disengaging proper due to the release baring :)