What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

MankyManning

Members
Reaction score
Car
Fiat Punto
As I am getting around 36mpg on my tourer, I have a mixed bag of journey types, some motorway, a fair bit of city driving too. It is just reading around some people reckon they can get 600 miles from a tank!! Last one I managed about 420 :) I am driving carefully as well...

Can't remember how many miles per tank but my mpg according to speedo mpg is 57 and that is booting it all over the place since remap, I was advised by Fahad to give it some beans to settle it in ;) honest :lol:

Hi Mark

I average around 43-46mpg in my tourer and that includes the odd spirited run here and there.

I will add about 50% of my journeys are motorway and Ive got a facelift so benefit a little from the 6th gear.

Andy

My Trip says around between 48-50mpg quite often, but using an iphone app to calculate it, this says I am usually averaging about 38.

These seem low?

I do travel in 50 zone for a bit of my way in to work so maybe that helps loads?

After remap I do get more mpg on a run but because the turbo is open all through the rev range now it uses more in town.

Mmm, well I'll keep an eye on it. I need to get remapped again by Fahad as Honda kindly unmapped me a couple of weeks ago after doing my timing chain. I'll get that done and see how I fare afterwards.

Is there any common problem that I could/should investigate which could result in high fuel consumption?

(oh and what was that iphone app btw?)

Yep at the moment i'm probably getting around 540 on a full tank but i'm seriously hammering it everywhere I go.

Mark your MPG does seem a bit low, but this is such a hard thing to diagnose as everyone's driving style is different..

hmmm.... i think i have the wrong car for the climate... i only do 240 max

I got 550 miles on a full tank of V Power all motorway driving keeping within the limits... 47.5mpg... not bad for a petrol eh! lol normally I get around 320-350ish... local driving ;)

I get around 42 mpg after the remap, before that it was 38-39, but most of my trips are short town driving and in the winter colds the diesel is not the best car for short journeys... Also my clutch was a goner so it might influenced the mpg (I have a heavy right foot)

I tend to get 520 miles per tank and still have 10ltrs, on a long run (French holidays) get about 600 per tank. Looking forward to seeing how many I get on the next French holiday with remap.......

my adverage tank = 560 miles

when im going quicker on the m/way then im getting about 450 -500 and if im a granny then i have seen 672.6 miles JUST as the red light came on

Mine says 70 miles to fill up when light goes on, never been that low so not sure when it would pack up.

How long do you get once the red light comes on? <_<

to be honest with you i have never found out... neither would i like to.

since i use VPD i like to make sure i ALWAYS have enough in the car so i never run out.
Im like a maniac once the red light comes on, i head straight for the nearest shell station.... man i should buy some shares to get my money back!

As I am getting around 36mpg on my tourer, I have a mixed bag of journey types, some motorway, a fair bit of city driving too. It is just reading around some people reckon they can get 600 miles from a tank!! Last one I managed about 420 :) I am driving carefully as well...
Same here mate. I usually get the exact figure you have there - 420 miles to around 55l of diesel. Mixed driving. Switched to v-power now, on my first tank at the moment. Will see if that helps.
If I dont drive in town lets say go from taunton to dover (around 230 miles) A303-M3-M25-Dover It will use around 23l of fuel. So I think its the town driving that affects the fuel economy.
dan

Yeah I think you are right about the town driving. I just checked my tyre pressures and discovered the front LHS was way off so just topped them all up, very useful that little pump they give you. I have fairly new front tyres on it so perhaps I have a faulty valve or something that means it goes down slowly....

Bad tyres pressures and lots of town driving will definitely hammer your economy guys..

The best way to get economy out of this engine is to sit just below 2k rpm on cruise - that's a good steady motorway speed and the engine is hardly working at all. Optimum economy is probably around 1750 RPM = maybe 55 - 60 mpg (that's a guess not tested).

What Im worried about is why there is such a difference between almost identical cars? Some get 46MPG mixed driving some (like me) just 36MPG...There must be sth that affects fuel economy so much. I always suspected EGR valve or the MAF. But on computer my ECU is clean, no errors at all. Im planning to clean inlet manifod and part of EGR soon. Will report back if done.
dan

Bad tyres pressures and lots of town driving will definitely hammer your economy guys..

The best way to get economy out of this engine is to sit just below 2k rpm on cruise - that's a good steady motorway speed and the engine is hardly working at all. Optimum economy is probably around 1750 RPM = maybe 55 - 60 mpg (that's a guess not tested).
If you drive like this, you'll always be late... I prefer spending a little bit more money and a little bit less time....
Also, when I drive slowly, I get distracted by the scenery and tend to crash.... two cars written off due to slow driving...B)

Also, when I drive slowly, I get distracted by the scenery and tend to crash.... two cars written off due to slow driving...:(
:D that is a good one:)

MankyManning - I plugged my honda to my laptop thru elm 327.

I used a free software easyobdII ver 2.3.0. It tells you generic stuff and you can reset the fault codes (ones that dont light the EML) and EML as well. Found it pretty good must say. ELM 327 works with many cars but you have to have different software for it to work. Tested on astra but had to do it thru vauxcheck (different protocols and so on). I am happy to post some info from my car if wanted.
dan

I get about 450 out of a tank, though I say tank I fill up before the light comes on, so I think i'm getting low 40mpg but that is a lot of local driving its only 10 miles to work so it hardly gets warm

Hi Mark,

I'm getting somewhere between 530 and 540 miles on a full tank of VPD. I've had stage 1 map put on by Fahad & do a real mixture of motorways, A-roads & town.

On avg 44mpg but on a good run like the tech meet i had 56.3 :angry: