What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

I usually get 500 to a tank, my wife gets about 550, You may of read that on another thread I am having EGR problems, as part of that fix it has a new MAF and they are cleaning all of the components round the EGR too, so it will be a good benchmark test, ***uming it gets fixed. Oh and I notice from Fahad's pickies above that he does not wear his seat belt.

Nigel
PS I have lost my remap too after an ECU reflash grrrr

I normally get around 51-52. Mostly motorway with some city driving. I find keeping it below 2k in 5th helps a lot and lifting off the throttle at every opportunity! I have a scangauge, better in some respects to the onboard computers, as you can manually adjust it to match what you're putting in at the pump. Manual calcs obviously are showing a good agreement. This morning I was getting near 70mpg going into work! On the way home, a lot more traffic and I only averaged 50. Going to work is more "downhill" and coming home is "uphill" so I'll never get those high figures going home.

Here are my milage and temp readings readings. I usualy get 250-270 miles to the half tank (well the needle is in the middle).
IMG_9630.jpg

IMG_9631.jpg

dan

Dan, don't rely on the fuel needle, what I have noticed is that when the tank is full, the needle moves very slowly, when it goes towards empty, the needle just drops like a stone... I can do 140 miles before the needle even starts to move, and then it is 250-270 on half tank, and then 470ish is the moment when I expect the reserve lamp to light (not that I ever leave it this long to refill...)

So same here then. I can usualy get around 90 miles before needle moves. It seems that you get the same sort of milage on half tank, so why I get like 50 miles less from a tank than you? I dont drive like a madman after it hits half a tank to make that sort of difference...
dan

Ouch Dan... That is bad. I have seen all of the cleaning that has been going on with your intake so hopefully that should help. What sort of journeys are you doing? Also does your car smoke alot?

My mate who is a mechanic swears by changing MAF's on diesels if you are getting low mpg, infact he does his every couple of years... but his is an Audi and they only cost him around £60 trade price. Not quite the same when the MAF for the accord is £200+ :D

Actually bad MPG, smoking and even missing can quite commonly be attributed to a MAFS problem.. It's just an expensive way of doing trial and error though.

The MAFS are also around £250 for VAG cars if you buy new from the dealer. The £60 items in the trade are refurb items (trust me I know people in this trade).. They're not bad items, but personally I'd stick with OEM.

Darn...I replaced the MAF few days after i bought my car. Reconditioned part but it worked well. What I dont understad is how the hell this time it burned 0.9l more on 60miles... My driving style didnt change.

Dan why did you replace the MAF?

Do you have your original one? If so, try the BG MAFS cleaner and see if it makes a difference.

Does anyone know if the MAF will show as faulty/failing on the diagnostics I am having at the HH meet. I have two MAF meters, couldnt afford a new one but was ***ured the one I bought was OK, as the person I got it off bought a new one to try and remedy a fault and it made no difference on their car.

Will bring both to the meet just incase though and I have bought the BG MAF cleaner... but still not done it yet. Sorry :lol:

Dan why did you replace the MAF?

Do you have your original one? If so, try the BG MAFS cleaner and see if it makes a difference.
Does anyone know if the MAF will show as faulty/failing on the diagnostics I am having at the HH meet. I have two MAF meters, couldnt afford a new one but was ***ured the one I bought was OK, as the person I got it off bought a new one to try and remedy a fault and it made no difference on their car.

Will bring both to the meet just incase though and I have bought the BG MAF cleaner... but still not done it yet. Sorry B)
To answer your and Faddy question in full there is my story :)
Shortly after purchase I noticed I was getting very low MPGs. I replaced all filters (with blueprint parts - I still regret it, changed to OEM quickly) but it didnt help. So I went to my friends garage, hes got a proper diagnostic equipment, plugged my car to his laptop and run his software. There were no fault codes stored all came up clean. He said I can check all parameters against Honda defaults. So I started one by one to check things like fuel mixture, temperatures, air intake, fuel intake, pressures and so on. Car was idling all the time. All values came up correct or within tolerances. Then he told me to put a slight pressure on "go faster" pedal and try to keep it @1.5k RPM and check the values again. If i remember correctly all was fine as well. Then I increased RPM to 2k and this was the point when I noticed that one value was out of telerance. It was AIR INTAKE. I dont remember the exact values but I think it was like 200% of what it should be. Upon increasing RPM to 2.5k it reached almost 250-300%. Diagnose was a faulty MAF. Replaced shortly and tested again showed values that were very close to Honda defaults. MPG had risen as well. I tested it on motorway and @80MPH it resulted in 40MPG average. I asked me friend why fuel intake wasnt showing as incorrect. He said it was ok as the mixture is based on air intake and the fuel percentage was correct for the amount of air taken in.
So to sum up. MAF fault may not show on diagnostic at HH. Best way to check it is to do what I did. i still have the original one, might be worth having a go at it later on (got to purchse another MAF cleaner as I used up the one bought). If I manage to HH I will bring it over. I think thats all:) Thanks for bearing with me, dan

Dan I think I remember this now..

So the MAFS you now have is a refurbished item? As suggested before, I'd try cleaning the original one and using that again to see if it works/helps.

Dan I think I remember this now..

So the MAFS you now have is a refurbished item? As suggested before, I'd try cleaning the original one and using that again to see if it works/helps.
Yes it is a refurbished unit. I got to order another can of MAFS cleaner now, ehhh. But to test it properly I will have to fill up my honda again and do like a 150 miles run and keep RPMs above 2k. Will try to find faulty unit tomorrow, it is worth a try:)

Do you have a note of the honda default values for the air intake? You've no binding brakes (check for pink edges on the discs as a quick guide)?

I get about 52 - 53 but then all I do is sit on the A1 in Northumberland for 120 miles a day - have managed 650 miles on a tank with another 30-40 possible on what was left! I'm very impressed. I used to have a Pug 306 Hdi and that got 37 at best when I worked in town and did mostly town driving - diesels are only really any good if you do long runs. Also hard acceleration is the death of fuel efficiency.

Yep, these cars have the potential to be exceptionally economical but its just so hard sitting at those speeds in the left lane for hundreds of miles :)

Plus, you really need to boot it occasionally to clear the soot out!

42 MPG on average for me but I usually commute by train so this comes from a third city, a third motorway and a third having fun on country roads.

Just thought I'd stick this up - achieved this without even realising. I wasn't driving terribly economically, lots of accelerating, braking, some cruise control and lots of mixed speeds but mainly motorway..

Achieved 120 miles before the needle even moved :(

Gotta love the diesels.. 300 lb/ft of bruising power.. and better MPG than my mum's Yaris B)

08092010.jpg

I recently downloaded an app on my phone that calculates the mpg for you its brill. All my driving is local stop start driving and I do drive my car hard every now and then at the moment I'm averaging 40.2mpg I'm well chuffed with that.

I average about 580 miles on a full tank. I do about 50 miles everyday, about half of it on the motorway. Trip computer averages at about 50mpg, highest I've had is 57mpg.

Once took a trip up to the Lake district in the missus' Golf 1.9 GT TDI. Decided to see what the best MPG I could get with a 'steady' journey was and was surprised to get 72mpg! Hell of a long drive at 55 miles an hour! ;)

finally worked out the mpg for my Accord remapped CDTI.

Just by filling to the top etc. (with V-power)

Drove down to the new forest and back - 3 people in the car and luggage - Stuck between 70-80 on the way down but on the way back - well lets just say I drove a little more enthusiastically :p

I've then driven to work and back (14 mile journey return in fairly heavy traffic) and then used my car at work - this involves very short start stops so the very worst kind !

Did 543 miles and filled back up with 55 litres so that works out at 44.9 mpg.

Under the circumstances I am well happy with that !

I am away again this weekend to the Lakes and have filled up today with normal Shell Fuel Save diesel - lets see if there is a difference !

That's about the same as mine Justin with similar journeys... and the same remap. Not bad for the performance is it?

I cant get much more than about 41mpg no matter how I drive it, long short journey etc and this is all calculated not on the OBC ;)

Plus I have the 6th gear :wub:

That's about the same as mine Justin with similar journeys... and the same remap. Not bad for the performance is it?

for the performance its brilliant - thats the beauty of turbo diesels !

I reckon in a petrol car that offers similar performance you'd be struggling to get 30 mpg in those conditions..

I cant get much more than about 41mpg no matter how I drive it, long short journey etc and this is all calculated not on the OBC ;)

Plus I have the 6th gear :wub:

hmm - well i suppose all cars and drivers are different

surprised you cant get more than 41 on a long run - unless you have a heavy right foot ?

I've had about 5 *** turbo diesels (Ibiza's, Fabia's and Leons) and always got between 44-52 mpg. The Fabia Vrs being the best and a 2.0 Leon TDI 140 being the worst.

Mind you compared to the Leon Cupra I had (1.8t) which would never do more than 28 mpg that still doesn't sound bad !

New Tesco near my work just opened and on a tank of their fuel :

photo.jpg

Also got stuck behind a few lorries!

I would be interested to know when you next refill what the *actual* mpg is. Seeing as though pretty much everyone who has done the calculation by hand and has the trip computer has found it to be way out...