What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

And in my opinion Tesco Diesel is a pretty good way to kill your engine :eek:

Switch to Shell V Power Diesel and feel the difference for yourself..

I'll do the calc when I next fill up - and I normally use Esso Diesel, was just handy last week. I'll give Shell a go as there's one in Berwick. Out of interest, having worked for an oil blending and additive company, what's the benefit of VPower? I know that supermarket fuel has less additives hence the price...

V Power Diesel is a Gas To Liquid Synthetic, doesn't come from the standard distillation process. Highest cetane rating out there, most pure diesel and then has additives added to it.

These engines are very fussy over their oil and fuel, only use the best - you will come to appreciate it after a while.

Esso/Texaco/Supermarket diesel - all bad in my opinion.

From my own experience, I've only ever found BP and Shell to have good regular diesel fuel, and then there's the premium BP and Shell fuels. BP Ultimate is good, but is regular diesel with additives. Shell's V Power Diesel is a genuine unique in the marketplace.

And in my opinion Tesco Diesel is a pretty good way to kill your engine :eek:

Switch to Shell V Power Diesel and feel the difference for yourself..

I love your confidence in V-Power but I don't quite share your confidence !

I have been using v-power for the last few tanks - last week I filled up with regular shell and I'm really not sure I could tell much difference. If I really try hard I might be able to say the car is a bit more responsive but I'm not sure...

And as it costs a fiver more to fill a tank I want to be more than 'not sure'....

If petrol was cheaper I would definitely use it all the time but in these times...

Well mate, consider that a new engine fully fitted may end up costing you over £8k

For the sake of a fiver extra per tankful, I like the peace of mind to know my injectors, fuel system, engine internals etc are all as clear as can be and free from contamination.

I spoke to one of the Shell forecourt guys a while back about VPD and he was explaining the lengths they have to go to have a VPD pump installed in their garage - it needs major investment, completely new tank and pump and pipework to ensure the fuel is pure and free from any contamination.

I've also dabbled with different fuels before settling on VPD, and I could tell a marked difference between Tesco diesel and Shell regular diesel. Once my car started to run on VPD, the engine has been noticably quieter, smooth and responsive and any smoke out of the back is minimal even on full throttle.

But that's just me.. if you find it doesn't work for you, don't use it :eek:

I've just got 463 miles out of a tank (fuel light hadn't come on) computer on the dashboard said 42.1mpg and I worked it out to be 39.9mpg but I did brim the tank and got more in than the last fill up so that effect the calculations.

Mainly round town driving with a bit of heavy right foot.

Just worked out my mpg using Shell Fuel Save - Did 555 miles before I refilled with 52 litres of fuel so thats just over 48 mpg

This includes a 320 mile round trip to the Lakes (mostly Motorway although stuck on the M6 for about an 1 hour) and then my usual slow journeys to work with lots of stop starts...

So i'm very happy with that - for a big ish car thats pretty good going !

I am doing in my Tourer average of 42 mpg :D driving around town so I think it is OK especially where the previous car (laguna 1.8) was 30mpg :lol:

Filled up with 48 litres after that so that was 49.5mpg

Have filled up with vpower to see if I notice anything, but will have to give it a couple of tanks to find out. Only works out a couple of quid extra for me as work pay for the fuel.

Simon

I'm still not convinced the trip computer is very accurate fellas...

Your not wrong there Dan, my computer is ALWAYS at least 10mpg out making me think oh I have done well... then put the figures into my iphone app or on my spreadsheet and it 10-15mpg less :)

Not sure exactly where it gets its figures from but it something to do with the fuel pump. I suspect it is thus:

Car knows how hard the fuel pump is running.
ECU is programmed with performance data from said pump.
Car calculates MPG from expected fuel flow from pump based on throttle position, RPM yadda yadda,

Tyre condition/inflation, FF condition, Air filter condition, fuel type/temp/level are all variables that throw off the trip computer.

Therefore peeps, only trust real figures such as those above and in my remap related post where you input figures over a serious number of miles.

Well that's 3/4 of a tank to start and a refill today of v power diesel and I've got to say I'm impressed. For my style of driving, which is all A1, it's noticeably better. In 6th at 1.5k revs there's no more 'pinking' when I accelerate - it isn't but it sounded like it - gone now and better low revs power delivery. Also overtaking in 4th is noticeably better. Either my engine was full of crud (suspected) or there's something going on. I gave it an italian tune just after filling up today and being stuck behind some rubbish, I managed to get home after 62 miles with the trip reading 60mpg.

I'm off on my hols but I'll keep an eye on things and might swap back to Esso to do a negative test.

About 600-620 miles to a tank. Computer says 52mpg but I'm getting about 47-48mpg by my reckoning.

Most I ever got from a fill was 52.5mpg.....average for the last 2 years is ~46mpg

Got some good mileage out of the Accord this week so thought I'd update this thread. Filled up in Newstead (Nottingham) and covered this much before the needle moved to the full position B)

16112010002.jpg

Then moving into the rest of the week, currently on 592 miles and the light isn't on yet - I've had 70 miles from this point till empty before so I know I can hit an easy 650 miles

18112010.jpg

Not bad for a remapped car with 19' rims :( I have to say most of it was cruise control at 65mph with some spirited bursts and a mostly full load in the car.

Faddy where on earth can you do 65mph on CC for a long stretch :(

:( The M1 mate, weather's been terrible this week and having a baby in the car just automatically restrains you to cruise control in the slow lane..

I've given this up as a bad job :rolleyes: I'll just get pi$$ed off if I measure my mpg I have decided. If I get more than 400 to a tank then I'm happy and stop worrying after that. It's never gonna be a massively efficient car I reckon so I'll just forget it for now. It was cheap enough to buy in the first place so I'm probably even!

Hi guys,

I travel from Bedford to Heathrow for work and Bedford to Chesterfield 4x a month. I get around 540-550 from full until the light comes on, driving normally. If I drive economically I get around 600. Having said that I have only had the car about a month, I have replaced the filters (used genuine honda fuel filter). I had it remapped, but the car has just come back from honda as the manifold had cracked and It feels like it has been put back to standard ecu settings, so im going back to have the remap reinstated tomorrow.( unfortunately I was unaware of Fahad's map when I had mine done). I put BG244 in this morning when i fillled up. I will update my finding.

Fahad is your speedo/mileage still reading correctly with the 19's on your car?

I've found in the passed that the OBC read around 10% over on fuel consumption.

Sean, yes of course - I've fitted 225/35/19 tyres to maintain the correct rolling radius.

Mark, is your car still smoking quite a bit? It might actually be the IMRC solenoid valve - check the diesel faults section.

It doesn't smoke much at all now since Honda did the timing chain warranty work (at which point they fitted a new set of injectors)

37mpg out my last tank... that is calculated and no spirited driving, cracked manifold, jerking a bit 430miles when the light came on :) mostly trips between 30-60 miles.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet over the last 6 months since buying the car.

Results based on brimming the tank at each fuel stop:

- Average mpg 41.8 based on city and motorway driving

- Best mpg 48.8 on same mix

- Worst 34.9 - checked my tyres and found them all down by approx 4 psi

- Best trip reading is about 55 mpg on the motorway on cruise at an indicated 67-68 mph, it drops dramatically as the speed goes up. The trip computer always over reads.

Its working out about 12ppm on fuel which is half what I paid with my previous car so I'm pretty happy in this respect.

Ade

But you don't have the same grandad :ph34r:

Also worth mentioning that your friend's car is also Stage 1 tuned.. Zika, also worth bearing in mind that cold weather doesn't help with economy, especially on a diesel engine.