What's new

Where to buy replacement exhaust manifold

Ian.H

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 2005
Hi all, my 2.2 accord has had the dreaded exhaust manifold leak. I took it off and had it re welded but doesn't seem to have fully cured it.
Getting it off and on is a bit of a rubbish job but obv need to do it again.
I'm looking at replacing it rather than rewelding as don't really want to have to do it a third time.
My question is where to get a new one from. Other than honda direct (expensive) where have people bought there's from and has anyone had any problems particular problems with ones they have bought or can recomend. ? Obv would like to be a cheap as possible but not at the expense of it failing again or not fitting correctly etc.
Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Is the exhaust manifold the same as the intake manifold? Bolted on the front. If so I have one which has been cleaned out of all the gunk.

Shouldn't Honda uk be footing the bill for this? I've seen many posts on here of people claiming the part and labour through Honda due to it being a known fault or similar ?

It should be covered by Honda but i think the warranty claim for it has no expired. Definitely worth asking your local Honda dealer though just in case.

I wouldn't trust anything else other than a genuine honda part.
As you have done the job twice now - its better to just fork out the money for the genuine part, do it once and never again.

Heres the part on coxmotorparts
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-diesel-exhaust-manifold-kit20042008-p-1828.html

but might be worth phoning Holdcroft Honda to see if they can beat the price.

Thanks for the replies people

f2raf - They are different , but thanks for the offer anyway.

Cliffordski - I have seen some on ebay but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience ( good or bad) with parts form different places.

Accord_n22 - I may contact the local dealer on the off chance but pretty sure now the extended warranty for this had expired.

I would normally agree with using genuine parts but to be fair if they had done a better job on this particular part in the first place I wouldn't be needing to change.

I'm not completely against getting a genuine part but was just curious as to other peoples experiences using parts from other ( cheaper ) sources if I can avoid paying Honda prices .

Cheers

FYI the honda warranty used to be that the car in question had to be no older than 7 yrs and not yet covered 125000 miles. I had mine done at 119000 when the donkey was 5 1/2 yrs old

Unfortunatly although under the mileage mine is a 2005 model so quite a bit over the age.

The civic has the same manifold if it helps you find a used one. I have a whole civic motor in my pre-facelift accord in fact.

Thanks goodluckmonkey. Is it true the heat shields are different on the newer (cast type) manifold to the original 2 piece welded one ?

Anyone else have any experience with non honda replacement manifolds ?
Cheers

The heat shields were the same between the Civic and Accord. My civic engine came from an '09 car, and the accord's an '04.

I need to buy manifold. I went Honda dealers about this they said coz car is out of warranty it's gonna be just below €1000.
Went to exhuast garage where I got catback done they said to bed and fit €600 but offered to buy on ebay which are between 150-200 euros and fitting 100-150. So now gonna but from ebay and get it fitted. It's sicorning the mell comes into cabin

Was it mig welded? We do them regularly, they're fine if done right. Did you fit a new gasket set?

Hi F6HAD, I'm not sure if it was mig welded or not to be honest just a local garage who did it for me.
I didn't use a new exhaust gaskets when refitting (they looked ok) but perhaps I should have a better check to see if the gasket is the culprit or not.
Would you be able to do the welding (or not now someone else has tried) and if so what sort of cost (I'd need to post to you as your quite a way away from me).
Thanks in advance

No one got any experience of a non honda manifold ?? (Good or bad )

Thanks crown.

Being a common fault I ***umed there would be people who have had to do/pay for work themselves and must be some people who have gone for something other than genuine parts.
I was just after people's personal experiences of anything other than pricey honda replacements.
Thanks in advance

I bought manifold from Ebay and got it fitted by local garage. I read a lot here and there changing by themselves stuff like that. The manifold I bought didn't fit straight away as mech said. It took him very long. From morning what ever time he started ton 5pm. I left car night before when I went back next day 5 pm he got only done manifold just about. I bought manifold with full kit(gaskets all that stuff) for €150Inc post. And got it done for €150. If new one is for that price I don't see valid point to weld old one. Best of look

Thanks midaev1
When you say it didn't fit straight away so you mean the manifold wasnt quite correct/a bad fit, or more just in reference to how much of a pain the job is to do.
Also how long ago and how many miles have to done since and is it all ok ?

Ian.H: he(mech) said he had to grind it to fit and the heat shield wholes werent in same place so he had to make a whole so sheild wont be lose. i got it on ebay here is the link:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/162140157643?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i done it 2 days ago. my car is 2008 with 162.000miles and 2 days ago got this new one fitted so far all good. finaly got rid of that sh"t smell. its the same manifold just little bit different.

car is amazing. Im after getting done remap and EGR trun off by Mr Fahad and did catback straight pipe 2.5" and now new manifold..... the car is rocketttt. wow man some difference. the best thing a ever done is trusting Fahad to remap her. she is beast man.

Hi Ian,
The best you can do is find such chop shop where they will take measurements from the original exhaust system (manifold, pipes, etc.) and then you should ask them according to their knowledge what would be the best way to make it sound agressive and not so loud and be effective (they MUST know if they are good). Basically the Manifold will not change it's size, except they could make it 4-2-1 or leave it as it is 4-1. They could leave the system with one resonator or you could ask them for another one and so on and so on, rear chambers, tips, etc.
If you want this custom exhaust then you would wanna drive this car for a longer time, cause it is not worth investing in cheap materials, which will not be so cheap and the result will be disappointing to you. If you could afford go for quality material and a shop that knows its job.

Hi crown_bg
Sorry but this thread is nothing to do with custom manifold or changing the rest of the exhaust system etc etc.
Just simply looking at replacing the standard manifold that has the common fault of cracking/leaking and recommendations/experiences people may have on replacement oe parts from anywhere other than Honda.(was trying to avoid honda prices)

As it turns out I ended up just going for Honda part to avoid any fitment issues etc and fitted it at the weekend.

Thanks anyway

That is fine Ian.
My idea was that you could have got a lot cheaper and better in quality Manifold custom made. You cannot get a wrong fitment becuase they will use the old one to make a sample of the connection where the manifold fits the engine.
You managed it anyway.
You could share with others the sum you paid for the genuine part so they can make the comparison to the aftermarket ones.
I guess the problem with the Diesel ones comes from the high pressure and the badly designed manigold that cannot get that pressure in the long run combined with the "****" that is gluing there from the diesel particles over the time.

Just been to Honda myself today and they confirmed the exhaust manifold is cracked and quoted £989 for parts and labour. I've had my tourer ex from new April 2008 and completed which was one of the later pre face lifts so you would have thought Honda would have fitted good manifolds by then! 96,000 miles completed and treated so well!
Thinking of using a company in selby that sells the exhaust manifold on eBay (without cracks) for £126 with a two year guarantee they also fit if you require and have quoted me £150 to fit it which sounds very reasonable the chaps name is Kamil Rominski.
I am an engineer by trade and am contemplating doing it myself but don't want to disable the car for too long!
Honda told me it's an all day job with the engine out so I'm a bit apprehensive about having a go

All day and engine out ? ! ? Wow !.
It is a bit of a pain, but nowhere near an engine out job.

Makes you wonder if my Honda garage has done this job before!
I emailed Honda uk and complained about my 2008 Accord having an exhaust manifold problem and they phoned me straight back saying they've authorised the full repair at no cost!
That's amazing on a car that's nine years old in April. The only down side is my local Honda garage phoned me up and said will I be willing to pay a couple of hours labour because Honda uk only allow them three hours to do the job so as to not upset them and get a rush job I agreed.
Can't believe my luck, a lovely early Christmas present for me

Wow thats a brilliant result, Mine is also 2008 but alas I imported it to Ireland and I guess the Irish Importer of Honda probably won't stand over the manifold repair.