What's new

25 yrs of Type R

Type Rs have been around somewhat longer than 25 years.

http://www.motorcyclerestorationcompany.com/hondacb1100r/

1+honda+cb1100r.jpg

Slight tangent to the thread, somewhere or other I got the impression that "Type-S" means "stiffer suspension", and "Type-R" means "racing suspension and engine", or is there more to it than that ?

Thought it was Sport and Race?

freddofrog said:
Slight tangent to the thread, somewhere or other I got the impression that "Type-S" means "stiffer suspension", and "Type-R" means "racing suspension and engine", or is there more to it than that ?
Type V, for those vertically challenged.? :blink:

Normally V is for victory with the Japs, and has revisions for Racing ****logation.

In the case of a 6th gen it may be VIP, because the interiors of those were lovely.

Wow, that link posted has to be the most "I can't be bothered" write up of the Type-R tribute I have seen, appalling....

Have a look at the Auto car magazine feature and the video of the reviews, and there are better resourceful websites than the one posted above.

freddofrog said:
The 'R' designation was given to certain models released to the public in order that ****logation regulations could be met. You are correct that performance upgrades to the engine and suspension would be included in the road going versions though there would also be unique pieces of technology added to the mix when it came to bodywork (carbon fibre in the case of the VF1000R fairing) and the paintwork, which would often reflect the HRC colour scheme of that year, with an option of one of the major sponsors, Rothmans in the case of the NS400R in the mid 80's.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Normally V is for victory with the Japs, and has revisions for Racing ****logation.

In the case of a 6th gen it may be VIP, because the interiors of those were lovely.
they were tasty for the age alright.

Definitely. My grandfather bought himself a new one when I was borrowing his 4th gen for a fortnight.

Far nicer inside, and felt more special than my similarly specced 7th gen EX.

It's thanks to him that I keep buying Hondas - He loves an Accord. Great cars.

Thanks, interior looks similar to the 1990 Legend I took for a spin last year. Was very tempted owing to the price, but I couldn't work out where to put the ladders.

I only watched the ATR bit and I had a gentlemans twitch when he hit VTEC. I remember them golden days before I-VTEC.......

Pottermus said:
I only watched the ATR bit and I had a gentlemans twitch when he hit VTEC. I remember them golden days before I-VTEC.......
H22 on full chat is amazing too ;)

I think I'll have to have another proper VTEC engined play car within the next couple of years. I doubt I'd have another ATR but either a Prelude or DC2 would be cool.

Shuthan said:
How come?
If it's going to be a another toy, I don't need the 4 seats and big boot like I did when I had one as a daily drive.

Pottermus said:
If it's going to be a another toy, I don't need the 4 seats and big boot like I did when I had one as a daily drive.
Nothing wrong with having extra seats and a big boot as a toy, it matters about the drive and the ATR is amazing at it.

I'd have another dc2 but my god the prices for clean ones is eye watering, if you can handle a bit of rwd and don't mind the image the s2000 vtec crossover is pretty ballistic too.

I've driven quite a few S2Ks and because of my height/size I only feel comfortable in one with the roof down. They are a car that you really have to respect and aren't all that forgiving. Particularly in the wet! I have a RWD car as well already and I'm a bit weird and actually prefer a well set up FWD.

I prefer FWD too, I think you can just drive them on the limit more in a forgiving way, a FWD with LSD is just as much fun as a driving experience.

Agreed, as would anyone who's driven even a stock dc2 on track or a good B road - the most fun I've ever had on four wheels