What's new

Big problem

taximark

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord ctd-i 2.2
Driving my car today when I hear this 'pop' sound and after a few seconds it started to billow out smoke (whitish) and it smells of oil, I had to get it towed to my house as it seems to have lost power, what can it be any thoughts?

Its a Accord 2.2 ctdi done 136k, year - 06.

Hi Mark my advice is don't start the engine at all.
You may do more damage so you need to get any fault codes read.
My only guess is the timing or oil chain has snapped or turbo blown but hard to say without the codes.
Hopefully it's not this and something less.

brett said:
Hi Mark my advice is don't start the engine at all.
You may do more damage so you need to get any fault codes read.
My only guess is the timing or oil chain has snapped or turbo blown but hard to say without the codes.
Hopefully it's not this and something less.
Not a clue mate, can I get it read by a code reader? just driving along and boom! thick white smoke out of the back, loss of power, and heavy smell of oil.

Could it be a turbo?

I'd say Turbo has gone mate - don;t start it as depending on what oil seal has gone it may try and 'run on its own oil' (rev over limit and not able to turn it off)...

Get it towed to a garage bud

Mutley_m said:
I'd say Turbo has gone mate - don;t start it as depending on what oil seal has gone it may try and 'run on its own oil' (rev over limit and not able to turn it off)...

Get it towed to a garage bud
It did that, i turned the engine off and it ran on for a few seconds, rough idle, over revving slightly, still starts but its rough and loads of smoke with strong strong smell of oil.

Can these be repaired or reconned?

Check the pipework from turbo to intercooler, the intercooler itself, and the pipework from intercooler to engine. Something could well have become detached.

Jon_G said:
Check the pipework from turbo to intercooler, the intercooler itself, and the pipework from intercooler to engine. Something could well have become detached.
Will do, why would it pour white smoke out though?

Unburnt diesel gives white smoke... if you have lost boost pressure you will have inadequate air in the cylinders to burn all the diesel present.

Your symptoms (particularly the 'running on') does suggest a serious problem - such as a failed turbo bearing seal - but it would be best to first rule out a few simple things.

Do you have the engine management on?

Jon_G said:
Unburnt diesel gives white smoke... if you have lost boost pressure you will have inadequate air in the cylinders to burn all the diesel present.

Your symptoms (particularly the 'running on') does suggest a serious problem - such as a failed turbo bearing seal - but it would be best to first rule out a few simple things.

Do you have the engine management on?
Yeah I do but i've had that come on and off due to needing an IMRC valve, so I guess I'll need the codes reading just to see if it's Turbo related.

Could it be Head Gasket?

Just checked dip stick and there is no oil in the sump, so since this has happened I've lost all the oil somewhere as well!

As you probably realise, the loss of engine oil is a likely indication that a turbo seal has failed.

As guide, it's just over £1k on CarParts4Less.co.uk if it does turn out to be the turbo.

Jon_G said:
As you probably realise, the loss of engine oil is a likely indication that a turbo seal has failed.

As guide, it's just over £1k on CarParts4Less.co.uk if it does turn out to be the turbo.
Jesus! it's not worth doing if thats the case!

Only thing I can do is try and get the codes checked, I'll try and borrow a mates code reader when I see him, I only want the car for another year so would it not be possible to get a Turbo from a scrap yard?

Mark I would get the codes read 1st and then decide what to do.
You will probably need a honda HDS for the codes or a snap on one if your mate has one.

That was an example price for a new turbo IF that's what it turns out to be! Yes, I'm sure a scrapyard one would be fine, and that's what I'd do, but I have no idea what that might actually cost (but obviously less!).

I think you need to investigate further, as unfortunately 'diagnosis by forum' isn't guaranteed to give the right answer. All we can do is make suggestions and give pointers.

I don't think any diagnostic trouble codes would be generated by the failure of a turbo seal, but definitely worth checking the stored codes in case it turns out to be another problem. I think any relevant ones (e.g. low boost pressure, due to a burst intercooler) will be readable by a basic OBD2 reader.

If you do start the engine (after filling back up) do have a plan for stopping the engine should diesel runaway become an issue... either have someone ready to stall the engine, block the air intake or have a CO2 extinguisher ready to spray into the air intake.

Jon_G said:
That was an example price for a new turbo IF that's what it turns out to be! Yes, I'm sure a scrapyard one would be fine, and that's what I'd do, but I have no idea what that might actually cost (but obviously less!).

I think you need to investigate further, as unfortunately 'diagnosis by forum' isn't guaranteed to give the right answer. All we can do is make suggestions and give pointers.

I don't think any diagnostic trouble codes would be generated by the failure of a turbo seal, but definitely worth checking the stored codes in case it turns out to be another problem. I think any relevant ones (e.g. low boost pressure, due to a burst intercooler) will be readable by a basic OBD2 reader.

If you do start the engine (after filling back up) do have a plan for stopping the engine should diesel runaway become an issue... either have someone ready to stall the engine, block the air intake or have a CO2 extinguisher ready to spray into the air intake.
Cheers for the info, I wasn't really having any issues with the turbo to tell you the truth but I guess they can just go 'pop'.

Car is used for a taxi and it's only plated till next Jan might sack it and buy a new one, probably VW though.

All the taxis here in Eastbourne are Skoda Octavias. Part of the VW group, but I get the impression they're better value for money than a Passat.

Turbo can all of a sudden fail yes... Stalling wont stop an engine running on its own oil, I've seen a car go through a wall once when it was running on its oil the bloke had it against a wall to stall it and the wall went though :lol:

You can get a used turbo unit for £150 on the bay... Then fitting... I dont think a code reader will help, just needs a mechanic to physically check it over

DO NOT START THE ENGINE!!

Turbo's gone, and it's likely dumped all the oil out and into the intercooler and anywhere else it can find its way.

Hopefully you haven't killed your engine, but only a proper inspection will tell you that.

Everything needs to be removed and cleaned and when the turbo is replaced, ensure you have a good oil feed going to it with no leaks or blockages.

Really you need to find out why it went in the first place. Are you using fully synthetic 0w/30 oil and maintaining good oil changes?

Yeah. I've been using the right oil and change it every 8-10k, only topped it up yesterday too, was driving and it started to lose power, I have a faulty imrc valve(due to change at the end of this month) that has been causing this 'power loss' but it clears itself with a few seconds, so I kept just driving trying to clear it and then I hear a 'pop' it didn't sound like a heavy sound and then the smoke came like I've never seen before, put it this way, it was a good jo it was a windy day, I could here rattling in the engine now and then so quickly turned it off, I started it up again and it started okay, it revved upto 2.5 revs increased slightly then dropped down again, very erratic, but I turned it of in fear of further damage.

If I can get it fixed on the cheap I'll be happy I only need it to last me another 10 months then it's gone.

Turbo went on my old Accord, sounded like a police siren when mine went but no smoke, just a lack of power.
But they can go in different ways. I got a used one off Ebay for about £150 and that sorted mine out.
Hope you are as lucky.

TBH i wouldn't run it until you get a proper diagnosis. Could be a split pipe or it could be a turbo collapse so getting it checked its a must

Mark you say you topped the car up yesterday.
Just to make sure did you over fill as this can cause terrible problems.
I'm saying you didn't but need to rule out this as well.

toffee_pie said:
diesel accords..mmmm
No need Eric mate. Mark's facing a serious issue and looking for help and advice. Better to be supportive in these situations than make unnecessary comments.

brett said:
Mark you say you topped the car up yesterday.
Just to make sure did you over fill as this can cause terrible problems.
I'm saying you didn't but need to rule out this as well.
No brett, I do keep an eye on the oil level and I'm used to topping it up pal, just under full I always use, going to try and get it towed into the garage tomorrow and let them have a look, I did check last night and the dip stick was bone dry so the oil has gone somewhere, when it was billowing out smoke it smelt very strong of burning oil.

I suspect the turbo has blown but obviously it needs checking out.

toffee_pie said:
diesel accords..mmmm
To be fair, I've done over 100 miles without having a major issue until now, it can happen on any car I suppose.

That said I don't think I'll be getting another Honda if I do change because I was told the next generation have been known to be more problematic, don't know it this is true however a mate of mine had a complete engine failure on a 58 reg one three years ago, luckily it was sorted out under warranty.

There's plenty of newer accords in taxi without issue mate. Just have the DPF removed and egr switched off and you're good to go. They also don't tend to suffer with the common clutch failures that plagued the Ictdi cars.

To be very honest mate, modern diesels are all pretty much the same. We see everything in the workshop these days.

They all tend to have the same Bosch diesel setup and all have similar DPF and egr related issues.

Just pick a car you like and can live with and one where the running costs are reasonable.

One of the best cars for taxi use is the aptly named Skoda Superb.

taximark said:
No brett, I do keep an eye on the oil level and I'm used to topping it up pal, just under full I always use, going to try and get it towed into the garage tomorrow and let them have a look, I did check last night and the dip stick was bone dry so the oil has gone somewhere, when it was billowing out smoke it smelt very strong of burning oil.

I suspect the turbo has blown but obviously it needs checking out.
Its sounding more and more like the turbo has gone mate, If there's no oil don't even try to turn it over and let the garage work on it.
The fact that there is huge amounts of smoke and that you can smell unburnt oil points more to a turbo failre