What's new

Big problem

F6HAD said:
To be very honest mate, modern diesels are all pretty much the same. We see everything in the workshop these days.

They all tend to have the same Bosch diesel setup and all have similar DPF and egr related issues.

Just pick a car you like and can live with and one where the running costs are reasonable.

One of the best cars for taxi use is the aptly named Skoda Superb.
Yeah but the shape of the Superb is chuffin awful, I quite like the new Passat and Mondeo.

TypeR said:
Its sounding more and more like the turbo has gone mate, If there's no oil don't even try to turn it over and let the garage work on it.
The fact that there is huge amounts of smoke and that you can smell unburnt oil points more to a turbo failre
I think so too, is it a big job to replace a turbo?

taximark said:
Yeah but the shape of the Superb is chuffin awful, I quite like the new Passat and Mondeo.
I have had turbo failure on a company Ford Transit going along a motorway. The sound was more like a ping followed by a whistle noise rather than a pop. I drive (for a taxi company) a 9 seater second hand 2008 Ford Tourneo for Private Hire work. Great for airport runs, School contract runs, Hospital runs, works night out and Social Services day centres. If a towbar is fitted you can gat a luggage trailer and take 8 passengers to airports/cruise ships no problem.

hobnob said:
I have had turbo failure on a company Ford Transit going along a motorway. The sound was more like a ping followed by a whistle noise rather than a pop. I drive (for a taxi company) a 9 seater second hand 2008 Ford Tourneo for Private Hire work. Great for airport runs, School contract runs, Hospital runs, works night out and Social Services day centres. If a towbar is fitted you can gat a luggage trailer and take 8 passengers to airports/cruise ships no problem.
I've hear good reports about Fords hence why I was looking at a Mondeo, something like a 11/12 plate.

taximark said:
I think so too, is it a big job to replace a turbo?
Not a massive job, can be handled with engine in car. ***uming you won't be taking it on yourself right?

A good mechanic should be able to swap a turbo in a few hours i would of though

TypeR said:
Not a massive job, can be handled with engine in car. ***uming you won't be taking it on yourself right?

A good mechanic should be able to swap a turbo in a few hours i would of though
No I wouldn't, I just like the simple things, what will the Mechanic need to do to ***es that the engine isn't damaged though?

Turbo is easiest accessed from underneath with the car up on a ramp.
The car could possibly be ran with the turbo disconnected to see if the engine is still rattling, if it is then big bills might follow or a good used engine and turbo might be a better option.
If you pull the intake pipe off the turbo, grab hold of the spindle in the middle and see if it spins easily and if there is much play in it.

Honda Sheffield told me yesterday whilst on the phone that they believe with the turbo going (seemingly) and with the engine running on it's own oil for a few seconds after switching it off that it would have most likely destroyed my engine, and as another stoke of bad luck my mechanic that I always use and never has a day off went on holiday yesterday! oh and the weather is terrible up here at the moment! :lol:

Seriously you have to laugh.

Just thought I'd update this thread.

It turned out to be the Turbo as expected, I did buy a second hand Turbo from Dewsbury Auto salvage that supposed to only have done 40 odd k on the original car.

Mechanic fitted it, because all the oil went through the system it took more or less a full day to 'burn off' all the excess oil in the exhaust etc, basically there was oil everywhere and had to be cleaned or burned off.

Car seems okayish,slightly sluggish in low revs but I can live with it, my only concern is the Turbo sounds much more louder then the old one, like a 'wurring' sound, it is quite loud from cold but as the engine gets warmer it eases off, I know they do it but it's def loud from cold, so here's hoping it lasts me about 6 months because it's going then.

Glad it's fixed.. I have nothing nice to say about DAS. Wouldn't surprise me if the turbo was a bad one. They always claim their parts are only 40k milers

F6HAD said:
Glad it's fixed.. I have nothing nice to say about DAS. Wouldn't surprise me if the turbo was a bad one. They always claim their parts are only 40k milers
Unfortunately Fahad and although I've not had many issues with this car it has put me off buying another, the parts are just scarily priced should you need to go to the main dealers and lets face it Honda aren't the only reliable cars out there anymore.

Don't think I'll be looking at Skodas either, some of my mates seem to love them, I find them one of the most bland cars out there.

I guess if you're going to use it as a taxi then it needs to be a balance of style and function..

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Incidentally I had an old customer pop over tonight for me to revert his car to standard as the clutch was slipping and he was selling the car.

It's a taxi run locally.. I tuned it on around 150k miles with stage 1 egr off. The car has now covered... Wait for it....

470k miles!!

That's on its original turbo with a stage 1 remap.

In that time he's had his manifold re welded by us and two clutches and his third is on Its way out.

He's also run it on 5w30 and not 0w30 like we recommend.. The key was regular oil changes.

I've tuned plenty of taxis both Hondas and various Marques.. As long as they're maintained correctly they are fine.

Perhaps you've just been unlucky mate.

Wow! It seem I've been using mine for rest of my life if I keep good maintaining...my diesel only 105k so far.. I believe it's still on first clutch, and run on stage 2 EGR off.. The clutch still strong so far..

Wow! That's quite something Fahad.

Yeah I'm not suggesting they all go on for that mileage but we only hear about the problem cars on a forum.. Nobody comes along to say guess what my car has done half a million miles!!

He's a taxi driver and doesn't have time to post on forums but has used this place to help diagnose stuff. There was another customer of mine last year who has covered 275k on a stage 2 egr off.

Hopefully Eric and Jon see this :lol:

na, i am still anti diesel :p

but yeah, that is mad milage, just goes to show the importance of oil changes, IMO if people put (good quality) oil into their cars when they should thousands of cars would not be in garages the length and breath of the country.

Indeed conscientious and informed maintenance would in fact save so much money, stress and environmental factors. Think how many cars are run into the ground and scrapped prematurely because they've had a bad life/bad owner.

:lol: Sorry Jon

getting back to petrols, lets focus our attention on this fine specimen for the moment :blink:

91-850-26.jpg

Nobody does normally aspirated power quite like BMW!!

indeed, that lump is majestic.

I knew a very sound mechanic from cork years back when i had the misfortune of owning a 316is BMW (worst ever car i had), i was seeing him so much he told me what was wrong with it and i got my brother to fix it as he had no time to be fixing crap that constantly broke on it.

one day I saw this mad 850CSI out the front so Steve (the mechanic) tells me a Polish dude says one day can you check out my car, so he goes sure drive it in, the he hears the noise.. :wub: , got a shock when he saw the car. Told me (in discretion) he drove it along the by pass road in cork that night and said it was absolutely sensationally fast.

:ph34r:

If your thinking of Vdub's then you might as well go with a Skoda, the Octavia looks much nicer then the Passat and with Skoda i think have good deals for taxis, so they are cheaper, but I bet apart from the diesel components you will get lots of other bits going wrong that don't go wrong on a Honda.

I hear that Skoda has embraced the Minicab scene to such an extend that the Octavia is now available with 139,000 Miles already on the clock, a slightly wonky steering wheel and overwhelming smell of sick in the rear seats.

My neighbour is a retired mechanic, but he was so glad to get rip his 08 Octavia 2 months ago. Most of the mechanical parts has problem one by one, and then electrical fault (Audi DNA I guess).
He fixed them all by himself, but those parts cost him over £3000! Can you imagine how much would that cost us included the labour?