What's new

Crunching Gear

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Hello all, hope everyone had a great Christmas and going to have a great new year :)!

2 things I need help on please.

1) I did a car meet at the ace cafe last year in January and was a great turnout and got to put faces to names etc, was wondering if the interest would be decent again? I will create a new thread like last year but gauging some interest for now.

2) Very recently I am having a slight problem with my gearbox. I go out for drives with mates on Sundays (weather dependent) and when driving enthusiastically changing from 2nd to 3rd crunches. If I am in second and lower than 4k rpm changing to third is no problem. But when I start to push on at like 5/6k rpm it crunches.

Second issue is with reverse. When trying to engage reverse it will not go in until I lift my foot off the clutch and press again and go into reverse. This does not happen too often like the crunching just sometimes.

Car is a 2007 petrol accord type s manual with 82k mileage.

Anyone can help me sort this with minimal cost (new car arriving soon) will get a drink on me or a teddy bear or crayons :) lol, thank you

As it's only above 5000rpm I would not worry about it as most people don't rip the ***ts out a car on a test drive , i do not know why, I always do , but most seem to be quite gentle .
There .. fixed it for free .. What do I win ?

Hi Hamid how you doing mate and yes I would be yo for another aces meet.
As for you crunching it might be time for a new clutch.But it might be worth changing your transmission fluid and see if this helps.
This should be done on a 75 k service or 7 years if it haven't been done :)

Toothless drunk I forgot to say no smart comments lol but if you come to the meet I will buy you a kebab!

Brett, thank you, I will create a thread tonight for the meet! And maybe be able to show you then in person too.

What do you think would be best to do now? I'm not taking it to honda as they just replace everything. Should I take it to my local mechanic and see what they see? I'm sure the clutch was changed about 20/30k miles ago but clearly it's a naff cheap one -.-

Toothless drunk I forgot to say no smart comments lol but if you come to the meet I will buy you a kebab!

Brett, thank you, I will create a thread tonight for the meet! And maybe be able to show you then in person too.

What do you think would be best to do now? I'm not taking it to honda as they just replace everything. Should I take it to my local mechanic and see what they see? I'm sure the clutch was changed about 20/30k miles ago but clearly it's a naff cheap one -.-
Cheap option Hamid is change the fluid I'm sure and will cost about £12 from HH
If you replace yourself there are a few DIY on this in 7th gen

I'm not fussed about like £50/£100/£150 etc but when it's like £700/£800 with a new car coming I don't want to spend it

Food from the ACE is not an acceptable currency ,purity is compromised the rat content is to high :wacko:

I thought their food looked pretty awesome! I'd be up for another meet definitely.

Hamid mate, Honda charge a packet for the 2.4 clutch, I imagine the 2.0 would probably be a similar state of affairs sadly. But see how much HH will do you one for and get a trust worthy indi to do it. Apparently the K series clutch is straight forward so they should be able to do it for not too much, if it is indeed your clutch, although it sounds like it could be given your mileage.

The food was good 10 years ago , it has been on the slide of quality and the ladder of cost . The last time I ate there was about a year ago at the euro bikes day ,sick as the preverbial I was ,since that day I have been taking my own food .

Hamid change the fluid as the first measure, then have the clutch fluid changed also. It does sound like the clutch or even worse the synchro has had it. The reverse is normal mate. I've had loads of hondas and they all did the same. Key is not to force the gear as thats how the synchro goes.

I think the harsh changing has caught up a bit. TBH second hand boxes on these are not that expensive so not too bad and this is the first 7th gen i've heard of this problem so rare.

Type r, thanks for your input mate. When you say the synchro has had it then what does that mean? What needs to be changed and rough cost please?

I guess I'm just unlucky and/or my driving style. I do drive very fast at times in a safe way obviously and when I have enough space but I wouldn't say I have 'ragged' it.

So transmission fluid followed by clutch fluid followed by new box?

I have a 6th gen and have the same issue you have with engaging reverse, except I have it on first as well, the rest are fine. It used to be a regular thing having to double declutch to go into 1st or reverse and was more evident when stone cold (which is natural) but it still used to do it intermittently when hot, however when I drained the gearbox oil and put some fresh oil in, the problem went away massively, and the gearbox as a whole was so much smoother. I still get the issue every now and again, but I think at times its because I'm trying to do everything so quick (usually when trying to park!) I don't fully depress the clutch in, so try and take my time, not easy when you have 10 cars waiting behind you to finish parking in a tight space. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a knackered pressure plate, fairly common now on the K series petrol engines. If it's not slipping it won't give up on you but worth budgeting for a clutch at some point.

Try changing for fresh MTF3, you will need just under 2 litres and its a DIY job.

Also change the clutch fluid..

Otherwise it's the clutch.

Believe it or not best price for a clutch is from Honda itself. Holdcroft did me a genuine clutch kit with release bearing for around £180 recently.

Both k20 and k24 have the same clutch setup..

Sounds like a knackered pressure plate, fairly common now on the K series petrol engines. If it's not slipping it won't give up on you but worth budgeting for a clutch at some point.

Try changing for fresh MTF3, you will need just under 2 litres and its a DIY job.

Also change the clutch fluid..

Otherwise it's the clutch.

Believe it or not best price for a clutch is from Honda itself. Holdcroft did me a genuine clutch kit with release bearing for around £180 recently.

Both k20 and k24 have the same clutch setup..

Thanks Fahad.

It is not slipping at all just crunching. So you think I should change the Trans and Clutch fluid?

What should I do with the pressure plate? Im a complete noob when it comes to gearboxes. Change pressure plate or clutch or both? Thanks mate, which fluid would be best for clutch?

MTF3 = Motul Transmission Fluid 3?

Type r, thanks for your input mate. When you say the synchro has had it then what does that mean? What needs to be changed and rough cost please?

I guess I'm just unlucky and/or my driving style. I do drive very fast at times in a safe way obviously and when I have enough space but I wouldn't say I have 'ragged' it.

So transmission fluid followed by clutch fluid followed by new box?

Try the fluids and go from there, maybe your shifting too quick and it is the pressure plate not able to keep up. TBH not heard of any 7th gen with Synchro problems. Also use genuine fluid in the gearbox.

I would think a fluid change will make a big difference, if it still persists then maybe think about the clutch

I will call HH tomorrow if they are open and get some clutch fluid and transmission fluid from them. Get that done and see what happens? How many litres of each?

Thing is when going for hugely spirited drives, every gear is fine above 5k even to red line but just going from 2nd to 3rd at high RPM's only its crunching, not low.

Worst case is a synchro but I would do fluids and then look at clutch if necessary

Bleed the clutch fluid at the slave cylinder on the gearbox. Only takes a few minutes and can make all the difference.
If the slave cylinder isn't operating full stroke then you will get crunching gear changes, and the reverse selection problem that you describe.

As I said Hamid change those fluids mate and it should make a huge difference

Bleed the clutch fluid at the slave cylinder on the gearbox. Only takes a few minutes and can make all the difference.
If the slave cylinder isn't operating full stroke then you will get crunching gear changes, and the reverse selection problem that you describe.
+1
Definitely try this first.

Thanks for the reply all, will keep everyone posted!

Little update, a mate of mine said to try seeing if it crunches when it's cold. If it does not crunch then it's most likely the clutch.

So this morning I went out and drove to warm a little but not as usual (I'm OCD about warming the car up before I rev it but for test purposes) and I went to about 5/6k rpm and nothing, no crunch no noise even reverse was perfect in the morning backing out my driveway. Car started to warm up and crunch slowly came back. Does that make it clearer as to what it could be or rule something out?

Oh and Brett your attention to the meets section please :) and divert people that way, it's for all years and types so post it everywhere lol

Edit : scratch that mate I see you've made your way already!

But still do post it everywhere! :)

I'd say syncro has gone, used to be a big problem on the b16a crx, exact same symptoms.

The problem selecting reverse, and the crunching into 3rd sounds like a possible failure of the clutch to fully disengage. It might be that the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th synchros are just stronger than the 3rd gear one, and so the problem is showing up there first.

I would change the gearbox oil, bleed the clutch and see how it goes.

If it's not that then it's either a new clutch, or 3rd gear synchro.

^ This does make sense, but I don't think I've heard of a 7th gen manual gearbox having an issue, ever (yet :unsure: ). So fingers crossed it's not the gearbox.

^ This does make sense, but I don't think I've heard of a 7th gen manual gearbox having an issue, ever (yet :unsure: ). So fingers crossed it's not the gearbox.

Ohhh, the 6MTs do give issues, I'm afraid. Primarily around the 2nd gear synchros :mad:

You'll see it over time in the 6MT where 2nd intermittently hard to shift into - it'll get worse with mileage. Why? The ratio between the 1st --> 2nd is quite high and the synchro has a good bit of work to do to match the speed. When the box is new the points of the collar are very pointed and generally catch quickly and you won't notice. However on higher mileage 6MTs these will have worn the points away and you'll start to get the odd crunch, then you'll get more frequent crunches and alas 2nd gear will give up (or be almost impossible to shift)

Changing the MTF helps as the friction modifiers and other gunks is swapped out, but from what I've seen, you're only delaying the inevitable.

So this morning I went out and drove to warm a little but not as usual (I'm OCD about warming the car up before I rev it but for test purposes) and I went to about 5/6k rpm and nothing, no crunch no noise even reverse was perfect in the morning backing out my driveway. Car started to warm up and crunch slowly came back. Does that make it clearer as to what it could be or rule something out?

Is the box overfilled with MTF? The MTF expands on heating and distributes the oil via the splashing of the gears. If you've overfilled, you'll get foaming and other such problems.

To check the MTF get the car up to temperature and then check the inspection hole (remove bolt and let it trickle out)

Wow! Useful info there Jason, thanks man. Something to watch out for.