What's new

direct replacement sat-nav head unit?

Hi all

Just found this on amazon.co.uk has anyone used this or had any experience of these direct replacement units

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2003-2007-Navigation-Multimedia-Digital-Touchscreen/dp/B004HHCKDC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1309421323&sr=8-12

looks like it does everything the standard unit does and more. Quality probably a bit suspect i guess

any thoughts??

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago from the actual supplier answering lots of questions posed to him
I think Fahad may have bought one (not sure if exactly identical to your link).

Hi
Yes Fahad has a version now installed in car, he will be writing a review soon enough.
Fahad when can expect this review, i'm quite interested so see what you thought?

it dont look too bad from the Amazon description and its £350 to buy from there.

just hold on there are compatibility issue with this kit .. the lower part of the kit is flat our UK car have a v shape design and there are a few a\c issues and MICU issues too

Faddy will explain he has had some issues running it on his diesel car, these kit should work on the US TSX as they were designed on that car.
CJ has Fahad got his working ok?

nope he taken it out .. and returned it for a refund he will be in a better position to explain why .
Thats bad news, I hope he gets his money back. I'll be interested to see Faddy's review

Yep, I was hoping to do a proper review but am holding off until such time we can actually get this thing working properly in the UK Accord.

To cut a long story short, bought and installed it last week. The unit was genuinely fantastic (once calibrated with the steering controls and individual settings properly etc).

Initial issues were the fit at the bottom as you can see from the picture it is a slightly rounded straight edge wheras our UK cars have a V shape at the bottom on the standard unit... so really I would have had to cut up my factory trim to get this to fit.. and I almost did it..

Until on Sunday (mega hot day) i decided to use the AC.. a few minutes later I started to hear some popping and could smell a funny smell. I had a feeling it was my AC pressure relief valve but wasn't sure why it would be discharging gas. It was charged back in Oct by Holdcroft Honda and has been fine (although not used much).

Took it in to Hepworth Huddersfield Honda on Monday.. They discharged the old gas (only 200g came out) and then charged the new gas but after 5 minutes of running the engine to circle the gas, it started to discharge again. The tech (Steve - fantastic guy) then started to do some diagnosis and quickly noticed that the cooling fans weren't kicking in to cool the engine and AC Compressor. So he spent an hour changing known working relays, unplugging stuff etc and just couldn't get the fans to kick in.

He called me out to the car to explain and said he wasn't 100% sure but felt this unit was causing the problems as although it was starting the compressor, because it wasn't starting the cooling fans, it was causing the compressor to overheat and then discharge the gas (safety mechanism to prevent compressor damage).

He said to try the old unit back in the car and if the fans came on when you switched the AC On, then you know its this unit causing the problems. He topped the gas back up to full and I went on my way..

That evening I put the original unit back in and what do you know...everything was back to normal.

So whilst glad to have the car back to normal, I'm really disappointed that this unit didn't work as it was absolutely brilliant. I even bought a DVB tuner and rear view camera (Accord specific) which at the moment are going to waste...

Anyways, Robert (Ice Box) has been a brilliant guy to deal with. Both Robert and Bobby are a brilliant team and I have no hesitation in recommending them for all your ICE needs. Robert is checking with the supplier, and they are suggesting its a compatibility issue with the Diesel cars, hence the reason I asked if someone with a petrol could lend them their car for an hour.

I'm hoping the compatibility issue can be resolved coz I REALLY want one of these back in my car. I spent a few days faffing around getting it working just right, got the latest IGO PRIMO loaded and it was just utopia to be honest. The perfect solution and that 8" screen looked just brilliant in the centre console.

Merging this topic with the other to prevent double threads.

i really hope the guys can sort out the problem, it will be great if it was compatible with the diesels, im sure alot of memebers would love this mod,

Interesting read Faddy. I hope they sort it out!

Are there different parts numbers for oem petrol and diesel head units?

Interesting read Faddy. I hope they sort it out!

Are there different parts numbers for oem petrol and diesel head units?

I doubt there will be, I just think it will be a problem with the unit itself.

Would be interesting to know though

The Diesel car wiring harness has been designed around Bosch , petrol worldwide have the near same harness as the components are the same.

it depends how the F-CAN and B-CAN are sending their messages to the multiplexer.
ok cool, interesting how its different though. From the sounds of it this stereo may have been designed around a petrol car.

I think its just a case thats its a new model and that it just needs some design issues sorting. In time I think this will really hit off once all issues resolved. The actual interface is excellent.

Just hope Faddy gets his money back

And for the regases too?

Does sound like a software issue though, which is hopefully a simple fix.

Fahad just get a double DIN like I have mate, it may cost you a little more, but at least its Pioneer and made in Japan too... and does interfere with A/CV or anything....had it 3 years now in second car... :)

Well that's answered the cryptic text message about your air con resolution! It's a shame it's not working but hopefully they can put a bit more development into it and fox the niggles.

Oh and Steve is a top fella! He's worked on my car a fair bit and always got time for a chat.

Hmm an interesting read, maybe worth trying another unit and if its still the same then I'm sure someone will be able to sort the fan problem out. A relay taking power when the compressor kicks in and sending power to the a/c fan will be an easy way to do it as I think the fan cuts in when the compressor does but not 100% sure on that

Jav - nothing to do with cost at all bro, no offence but I just don't like that solution (it doesn't look OEM enough for me and its too low down).

Guys, I got my money back no quibbles. As I said, the lads over at ICEBOX are genuine guys and extremely helpful.

I also think it might have been a faulty unit as the other unit they installed (as per the youtube link earlier in the thread) was fitted to a diesel and that customer says he's had no issues...

fair point Fahad, each to their own I suppose ;) il be honest with you higher up in the OEM section is much better but I hate the user interface on these Chinese units... a mate of mine has an identical one fitted in an Audi A4 and the fonts, layout etc... is just too cheap and poor for my liking... again saying that I wanted one with a quality sat nav and the pioneer sat nav units are just the best money can buy...!

if I had the spare cash it would be one of these next...

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F30BT/index.html

any how good luck with it... once it's done I will be coming over to check it out ;)

:lol: nice one Ged.

Any updates on this fahad as i definately want one of these i dont want to waste money on the xcarlink

No mate I gave it back for a refund. It will probably work fine in your petrol car..

No problem fahad

Well im fitting it tomorrow so will see how it goes

Right so its fitted

A fantastic piece of kit i would recommend it to the petrol owners

Fahad everything works fine im just having a few problems getting the bluetooth to pair and steering controls calibration

The manual isnt very good in explaining exactly how to do it

Also in the youtube pic there is a gap on the top of the headunit but with this one there isnt :)

85cb6fd1.jpg

0738d6b9.jpg

Excellent news Moh.... Have they got the AC sorted? Your dials are still on the wrong side, and I think the Drivers side is supposed to use an extra sensor...

That looks really nice mate, does it all work ok then?
Rep point coming your way for fitting this, looks like a real nice fit

Or should I say, the passenger side is not controlled directly as the incar sensor is on the drivers side. Not sure how the passenger side is regulated though.