What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Ian, you should be able to see it in he last picture...

Hi All, just confirmed on another post that SPUTNIK has got a mk-1 verson manifold which is fubar'd.

Just got a branny mk-ii version off ebay for £225 shipped, so now can't wait to unleash the true power and ecomony out of my car. I was seriously thinking of scrapping it due to poor ecomony, but if this breaths new life into it, then I'll keep on running it to see if I can achieve 300k miles :)

I've got a stock 140bhp 2.0 TCDI Ford S-Max and always felt the S-Max had bags more snap/punch than SPUTNIK. Since the S-Max is ~250KG heavier.. it makes more sense that something has been sick for a while with Spud.

I will speak to my garage as its going in dock next week anyway for some TLC.

..will update in a few weeks when its been serviced/new front tyres/suspension fixed and sporting a new manifold :)

EDIT: Quote from Dan "The instructions say to remove the TC - it is quite an involved process"
Dan...are the full instructions available so I can discuss with my garage. I don't want to fix one prob and create another by busting the turbo and melting doen the engine :-0

Hi All, just confirmed on another post that SPUTNIK has got a mk-1 verson manifold which is fubar'd.

Just got a branny mk-ii version off ebay for £225 shipped, so now can't wait to unleash the true power and ecomony out of my car. I was seriously thinking of scrapping it due to poor ecomony, but if this breaths new life into it, then I'll keep on running it to see if I can achieve 300k miles :)

Sounds like you got a bargain regards the mk-II version. I hope it helps your fuel economy, we thought it would help ours but we've been using slightly more fuel since the manifold was fitted. OK, might not have anything to do with the manifold but the increase in fuel useage started right after I collected the car..............strange I know!!

Wow, I'd just like to say thank you for this thread and the rewelded manifold repair thread on this forum. I don't have an Accord but the Civic 2.2 and that has a cracked manifold. Honda are aware of problems on these too. They're sorting it, no questions asked. My car has lost power and started using more fuel too. I noticed it the last time I filled up.

Just dropped mine off at Hepworth Honda Huddersfield. Only phoned thm at 1 today and they're doing it tomorrow and given my a courtesy car.

Just dropped mine off at Hepworth Honda Huddersfield. Only phoned thm at 1 today and they're doing it tomorrow and given my a courtesy car.
Good result Paul ;)

Sputnik handed over to garage this eve for its manifold replacement job ( non-warranty ) . I have real high hopes it will come back like a new car.

Did you phone to Honda to see if they would cover it :lol:?

Did you phone to Honda to see if they would cover it :lol:?

No ....but its an interesting issue. I often wonder whether Honda PR people are interested in cars that have done a quarter of a million and not leaking a drop of oil. You'd think after reaching a certain mileage you'd qualify for a Honda state pension and free car healthcare LOL :wub:

:lol: Certainly some recognition from them would be nice.

Hi all,

Had my manifold replaced today by Barnsley Honda and it went without a hitch.

I've been smelling fumes for ages and like many people thought it was just passing traffic but after reading this I realised it was actually a problem with my car! I called Barnsley Honda (closest dealer to me, although I'd not used them before) and they fitted me in straight away. They knew about the extended warranty when I mentioned it but I was worried there might be trouble when they asked if I had a full Honda history. I have a full history but not always with Honda so the lady said they'd contact the garages that had done the services and confirm that only Honda parts had been used. I spoke to my mechanic on Monday and he said they hadn't contacted him so I'm not sure if the receptionist was just confused or not.

I took the car in last Monday and only had half a coffee before they came back to confirm that the manifold was cracked. They took a copy of my service history and said they'd put the claim in to HUK. I had a call on Thursday to say that the manifold had arrived and when could I come in to get it fitted. I thought it might be a bit of a problem as I work 7-5 most days so would struggle to get in for a few weeks. No problem, she said, they'd collect from my work (20 miles from the dealership).

It was booked in for today and the driver arrived bang on 9.30, as arranged. He took the car off and said it would be back before I finished. I got a call at around 3.30 to say it was all sorted and the car was on its way back. A copy of the invoice to HUK would be posted to me for my records. They had wanted to send it with the driver but there had been an accident on the motorway. They decided to send the car back asap while they finished the paperwork so I wouldn't be waiting around for it at the end of my shift.

The driver arrived back about 4.30. I gave him extra points for parking it how it was when he'd found it (last space in the row, over to the side to avoid getting hit by other car doors, mirrors folded in). He'd retuned to radio 2 and left the seat about a mile away from the pedals but I'll let that slide.

All in all a good, hassle-free experience and a fresh cabin. Sounds quieter too.Thanks as always to TA for all the info!

Excellent news Matt.... Perhaps a comment on the dealer thread = credit has to be given to dealers that deserve - just as ridicule should be levied to the rubbish ones.

Good news I have nothing but praise for Barnsley Honda always a good service, they did my a/c service cheap too and the collection/delivery service is spot on as well.

Bummer... out of warranty for the cracked manifold so about to pick the car up and the estimate of how much it will cost. What kind of number should I expect and is this something that can be done DIY by someone who is patient and has done a bit of engine maintenance before?

Not changed one myself on the accord but have had manifolds off on petrol cars before including turbo charged ones. Its just nuts and bolts and the turbo pipes at the end of the day. It depends how confident you feel about doing it, also when refitting the turbo you pour some oil into it before you fit the oil supply pipe as it will have no oil in it.

There is a manifold kit on ebay being sold by a honda dealer.

Yes it is just over 600 to do the work. 300ish for the part and 3 hours labour which is 89 plus vat at my local dealer. Think I might beer doing it myself now. If anyone has a link to the Ebay part it would be much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure mine's gone, my car has 113k miles, and was first reg's 7 year and 9 days ago - anyone fancy my chances of a warranty repair?

If you have a FHSH then you might get lucky and have a gesture offered - get it to a dealer tomorrow... I think there is a good one bear you - but you might have to cross the river into civilization first :p ;).

I came across this forum after buying my Honda. I do smell Diesel in cabin, especially when high revs are used. I am not sure how to check what is wrong?

My car has done 98000 miles, it is a 2007 reg. I guess that would be out of standard warranty?

/Rizwan

Have a good read if this thread mate...everything has covered already.

Its well within warranty, take it to Hona if you can smell fumes from the rear of the engine with the bonnet up.

Reading the thread now, very informative. I called Honda today and they said the car is not under warranty because 3 years since purchase are over. Same answer by GH (honda dealer). So bit confused by whole warranty thing.

If you've read the thread, then you'll see that there is an extended warranty for 7 years or 125k miles. No confusion at all mate.

ive just sat here and read this entire thread...on a friday night!
anyway ill definitely be checking the exhaust manifold when i go look at the diesel tomorrow :)

Hi I've got a 2006 accord with really bad fumes in the cabin, went and had it checked at a friends garage and was told the manifold had a large crack in it, went on to say that will cost a fortune to fix and Honda only parts, so I started looking on the www for a manifold and came across this site, what an eye opener, read through the whole lot about this problem, phoned Honda uk straight away, was told to take it to my nearest Honda dealer ASAP, I'm mk so just down the road from me, they took it in straight away 30mins later told me that it was covered by Hondas extended warranty as its a bad design fault , it's booked in for this Wednesday so will keep you informed, was told I won't have to pay anything, let's see if that's true.

Norman, you won't have to pay anything ;) and welcome to Type Accord.