What's new

Facelift ECU in pre-facelift?

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Ok, so finance wise, this is a fair way off. But I've been thinking about remapping potentials since reading Oz's posts about his TSX ECU (as cool as the Flashpro and TSX ECU is, I doubt I could ever justify this money on non-essential car work).

So we know F6had and other companies can remap the facelift K24, but the pre-facelift is pretty much un-mappable. I'm wondering if I could get a facelift ECU from a scrapyard, get it coded to my VIN number, pop it in and get it mapped? Or is this more convoluted than this? I mean are there potential conflicts of interest in terms of the car's electrical innards etc?

Anyone got any knowledge, thoughts or concerns on the matter? Any input appreciated.

Very interesting question Steve.
I'm sure you will need a new key as well and also have issues withs things like VSA unit because it has its own ECU that is set up with the one you have installed.
I'm no expert so see what other members say.

i thought the hondata remaps only work on the prefacelift

2 places in the uk do it both in sourth east you could ring them & ask

i thought the hondata remaps only work on the prefacelift

2 places in the uk do it both in sourth east you could ring them & ask

Care to point me in the right direction? Only I've been googling this for a little while now and keep drawing blanks on getting the early 2.4s tuned. I was under the impression only the later models with the different ECU was mappable. I'd be well keen to speak to anyone local to me who reckons they can map an early K24A3 :D .

He does, but again, I think it's late 05 models onwards. I'm an 03 :unsure: .

Sorry, yeah I mis-read you original post :blush:

I've never bothered to ask or read up, here goes: when exacly was the fac-lift introduced, and is it by reg plate or by VIN ??

Hondata Flashpro can't tune the pre 05 ECU's, it's the same issue we had - no rewritable EPROM. Somebody posted a while back suggesting that XO Power could do it and he'd booked in, but he never came back to update us so i'm still ***uming he couldn't/didn't do it.

Steve - whether the 2005 onwards ECU is retro fittable to the pre 05 is a question I still don't know the answer to and wanted to find out on my brother 2003 Type S, but we never bothered pursuing it.

I believe the plugs are the same, just the internals are different but Dave at Elite was a little sceptical and suggested that it might not be doable. He would need to see the schematics of both to understand if it would work.. or you could just try it and see what happens I guess.

http://www.abbeymotorsport.co.uk/

http://www.cplracing.co.uk/
I could be wrong, but I don't think that CPL have ever remapped the K24 engine that Steve is talking about. And that probably applies to any other ECU remappers.

I think I am in the same boat as Steve. I rang CPL about a year ago and they said that for the K24 engines, Hondata kits require extensive wiring harness and piggy-backing. They said that if I brought my car to them, they would swap the ECU for a remapped ECU but didn't go into details, and the CPL articles in issues 2 and 3 (June-July 2011) of Total Honda magazine do not appear to apply to K24 engines.

So as Steve says, it seems that the K24 ECU in 7th-gen pre-facelift cannot be (or has never been) modified.

What noticeable markings are on the VIN, or on the engine plate, to know the difference ??

EDIT: just seen Faddy's reply, crossed while I was typing

The pre-facelift can be remapped, no question about it. I spoke to Gunther at XO Power about my 2003 Type S and he said it can be done and he has done it.

As I am in Northern Ireland I checked around the tuners here and found one that can to it - Auto Tune in Ballymena. They took out the ECU and emailed Piasini Engineering the serial code form the chip and they confirmed it could me mapped. As I understand Auto Tune use a tuning system developed by Piasini in Italy - check out their website and you can see their figures for the Accord Type S: www.piasiniengineering.com/

I intend to book my car in for the remap in mid-November and i'm getting a K&N typhoon intake installed at the same time. Getting pre- and post- dyno runs to see how much more power / torque the engine makes and will post the results for anyone who is interested.

If you want to see a typical post- map dyno graph check out the Hondata website: http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx.html It is for the Acura TSX (American equivalent of our Accord) but it is essentially the same engine. Some interesting info on tuning the 2.4 here also: http://www.hondata.com/tuning_the_tsx.html

Hope that helps.

I intend to book my car in for the remap in mid-November and i'm getting a K&N typhoon intake installed at the same time. Getting pre- and post- dyno runs to see how much more power / torque the engine makes and will post the results for anyone who is interested.

I'd be interested - let us know how you get on!

Very useful post Gain, I was sure I'd seen other threads on this forum saying similar, can't remember where, but this thread is worth remembering .

Gunther did come back onto another accord forum and confirm that he can both all CL9's including the prefacelifts buddy, so you've got a sure fire option there. In other news, my 07-08 tsx ecu has cleared customs and should be with me next week!

Awesome. I did email Gunther an eternity ago and said it could be done and quoted a price (I forget what but I think it was around the £400 mark). But since then I read all the stuff about the problems with the pre facelift re-mapping and I (wrongly) ***umed perhaps Gunther didn't know/realise the earlier models were different. I guess that will be my option, although like I said before, it's a way off. Gotta clear a little debt and save some first :rolleyes: . Bring on a lottery win...

Nobody is saying pre facelift cannot be done, I am saying that pre 2005 cannot be done.

It is actually Christian Piasini who has confirmed this. That's who Gunther uses and we (Elite Remaps) are also connected to him. It's possible the serial number you sent him is from an 05 ECU.

Nobody is saying pre facelift cannot be done, I am saying that pre 2005 cannot be done.

It is actually Christian Piasini who has confirmed this. That's who Gunther uses and we (Elite Remaps) are also connected to him. It's possible the serial number you sent him is from an 05 ECU.
Is that definitely by reg plate, or by VIN ?

For example, the first 11 characters of my VIN are: JHMCM27803C, which breaks down into
JHM - passenger car manufactured in Japan by Honda
CM2 - type number
780 - 5 door wagon EX trim
3 - made in 2003
C - Saitama or Sayama plant

Whilst my car was made in 2003, it's reg plate is 54.

So, do you mean that one should go by the 10th character in the VIN i.e. 10th character = 4 or less means cannot be done ??

Or is the engine type K24A3 no joy, whilst the K24A8 would be ok, and is the K24A8 found in cars with VIN 10th character = 5 and above ??

Right, this is what I thought you see. The 2003 2.4 7th Gen (for europe and JDM - K24A3) simply is a different type of ECU which isn't map-able. So, back to my original question then :lol: .

Is it simply or complicated to swap out a pre for post facelift ECU?

Auto Tune took the ECU out of my 2003 Accord Type S and emailed the serial number on the chip to Piasini. They confirmed that it could be remapped. That's all I know. I can't see how it would be a 2005 ECU as the car is completely standard and this hasn't been replaced to my knowledge.

I did specifically ask Gunther about a 2003 car and he told me that the only difference between the 2003 and 2005 ECUs was that the chips were manufactured by different companies.

Once Auto Tune actually try to map it I will let you all know if it works.

I know I keep banging on about it, but are all you guys talking year by your car reg plate, or year by the 10th character on your VIN ?????

(they may not be the same, they're not the same on my Accord)

Gunther knows about the 2 different ecu's in both facelift and prefacelift CL9's. He confirmed that he can do both.

Right... and round we go again :blink: :lol:

Hondata Flashpro can't tune the pre 05 ECU's, it's the same issue we had - no rewritable EPROM. Somebody posted a while back suggesting that XO Power could do it and he'd booked in, but he never came back to update us so i'm still ***uming he couldn't/didn't do it.

Steve - whether the 2005 onwards ECU is retro fittable to the pre 05 is a question I still don't know the answer to and wanted to find out on my brother 2003 Type S, but we never bothered pursuing it.

I believe the plugs are the same, just the internals are different but Dave at Elite was a little sceptical and suggested that it might not be doable. He would need to see the schematics of both to understand if it would work.. or you could just try it and see what happens I guess.

The pre-facelift can be remapped, no question about it. I spoke to Gunther at XO Power about my 2003 Type S and he said it can be done and he has done it.

As I am in Northern Ireland I checked around the tuners here and found one that can to it - Auto Tune in Ballymena. They took out the ECU and emailed Piasini Engineering the serial code form the chip and they confirmed it could me mapped. As I understand Auto Tune use a tuning system developed by Piasini in Italy - check out their website and you can see their figures for the Accord Type S: www.piasiniengineering.com/

If you want to see a typical post- map dyno graph check out the Hondata website: http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx.html It is for the Acura TSX (American equivalent of our Accord) but it is essentially the same engine. Some interesting info on tuning the 2.4 here also: http://www.hondata.com/tuning_the_tsx.html

Hope that helps.

Gunther did come back onto another accord forum and confirm that he can both all CL9's including the prefacelifts buddy, so you've got a sure fire option there. In other news, my 07-08 tsx ecu has cleared customs and should be with me next week!

Auto Tune took the ECU out of my 2003 Accord Type S and emailed the serial number on the chip to Piasini. They confirmed that it could be remapped. That's all I know. I can't see how it would be a 2005 ECU as the car is completely standard and this hasn't been replaced to my knowledge.

I did specifically ask Gunther about a 2003 car and he told me that the only difference between the 2003 and 2005 ECUs was that the chips were manufactured by different companies.

Once Auto Tune actually try to map it I will let you all know if it works.

Gunther knows about the 2 different ecu's in both facelift and prefacelift CL9's. He confirmed that he can do both.

Right... and round we go again :blink: :lol:

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
Then mend it, dear Henry, dear Henry, mend it.

With what shall I mend it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, with straw.

The straw is too long, dear Liza, dear Liza,
Then cut it, dear Henry, dear Henry, cut it.

With what shall I cut it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With a knife, dear Henry, dear Henry, with a knife.

The knife is too dull, dear Liza, dear Liza,
Then sharpen it, dear Henry, dear Henry, sharpen it.

On what shall I sharpen it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
On a stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, a stone.

The stone is too dry, dear Liza, dear Liza,
Well wet it, dear Henry, dear Henry, wet it.

With what shall I wet it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
try water, dear Henry, dear Henry, water.

In what shall I fetch it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
In a bucket, dear Henry, dear Henry, a bucket.

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

^^^^haha. Epic response!!! Exactly what I was thinking.

IMHO if you are considering mapping a post facelift then talk to Faddy. He's a top bloke and really knows his stuff. Could not recommend anyone more than I would Fahad.

If you're mapping anything else, get an aftermarket ecu, custom map, and a full harness.

:lol: This is actually becoming quite a funny thread.

Not my work ......

imagesCANUXR22.jpg

I actually would loved to be proven wrong as my brother is hassling me about tuning his K24 for him.

The proof is in the pudding, if someone has an early K24 and has the stock ECU tuned, please let us know :)

Just to remind you, here is the ECU from my brother's 2003 Accord:

07012012102.jpg

And here is the one (picture provided by Piasini himself) that is known as tunable:

Keihin.png

Ok, so I kind of expected F6had to be right. We are talking about a proper early 7th gen here.

So back to my question. Is swapping ECUs straight forward or are there other complications to take into account?

I reckon that proves that the hole in Henry's bucket cannot be fixed.

As I am in the same boat as Steve, that leaves 2 questions:

1 .... When did Honda "change" the ECU in the K24, and is the change traceable by serial number of the ECU, or serial number of the engine plate, or year/factory/serial number of the VIN ??

2. .... As Steve asked in the beginning (and I've modified his question), would an ECU from say a slightly later "scrapper" K24 Accord, be a straight swap ??

EDIT: sorry Steve, my post crossed, I think I've been more exact too (?)

^ What he said...