What's new

High mileage 2.4 accords, worth the risk?

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi All

I am looking for a new motor and only have a small budget. I have come across an immaculate 04 2.4 Executive which has 153k FSH and all receipts. It has also only had 2 owners and has obviously been looked after. The car is up for sale for £2250.

At this mileage should I steer clear or are these engines bullet proof? I currently drive a 3.0V6 st220 mondeo which drinks quite a bit of fuel and is unreliable so I would like to sell it and get a reliable jap car with a good engine so I can still enjoy the drive but hopefully use less fuel. I've had a few Hondas in the past and they've always been great.

All opinions welcome.

Regards

Mark

knock 'em down to £2K. 150K for a Honda Petrol isn't a major problem, especially if there's a full service history. Just check for things like the feel of the clutch, knocking suspension parts and things like that.

at that milage make sure all the work has been done to the car, its highly likely a whole host of things will have needing replacement, but the engine itself is very good. I would be surprised if they cant get over 300k with regular servicing.

Hi Mark, Eric above has just sold his 2.4 Exec. to me with 123k on it and is as sweet as a nut :) .

As the one your thinking of buying has a FSH then I'm sure that if as Steve recommends you give it a good look over and it seems OK then knock em down on the price if possible and go for it B) .

Good luck.

That's expensive, 2000 max I would say with that mileage, like Steve said give it a good once over. Has the clutch been replaced and the bearing also. Another issue is the vsa, does it turn on and off ok, also these cars can suffer drive shaft issues. Does the car suffer from vibrations if it's driven at a steady 50-60 mph. Tbh they are very reliable cars with a strong engine. Good luck with the purchase.

got mine from a honda dealer. 58,000 miles FHSH immaculate condition in and out for £3000. That price is about a grand too expensive. I've seen plenty at £2000 grand on the better side of 100,000 miles.

Hi again

Thanks for all the responses. I must admit you have mostly confirmed what I was thinking with regards to the price being too high.

Shame there are not more accords around, I don't seem to have the pick of many around where I live.

Regards

Mark

I got really lucky in the one I got was a few streets away , but you may have to travel a bit to find one as they do seem a bit hard to find .

I got mine shipped from blackpool to NI! Didnt even see it.. massive gamble that really paid of. But thats the faith I have in hondas.

2.4s are not common I'm afraid.

My brothers K24 has over 180k on it and still drives like new

My wife's k20 has over 150k and still quiet and smooth like a new engine

Service history is key

I used to have a ST220 aswell, loved that motor. After 5 years of owning it the fuel bills got to me too :lol:

You'll miss the low down power of the 3.0 and the noise (I had a K&N on mine :wub: ) but the accord is a slightly better car

Hi Mark, That's looks identical to mine except for the boot spoiler, even the wheels are the same :) .

Looks very nice and if it's as good as he says make him an offer and go for it B) .

One thing id look out for after about 100k are the driveshafts. The inner CV joints tend to wear!!

I looked at ST220's before I got my type R as they are both pretty cheap these days, similar performance and big enough for the kids etc. I was eventually put off the ST by speaking with people on passionford who claim they're not the most reliable and then I checked the tax on them, ouch! Have you looked at Type R's? You'll miss that low down grunt but when you hit 5800 rpm all will be good ;)

I must admit I don't think I will miss the ST. Whilst most ford people think the engine is bullet proof I've just found it to always have some niggling fault, either not idling properly even after buying a new coil, leads and idle control valve. When it's on song it's great but all too often it isn't.

I have always had jap cars in the past and I don't think my foray into the Ford world will be repeated.

I would consider a type R although it's a shame they are quite old now and I'm not sure whether the MPG would be good enough.

im selling mine in the for sale section if you are still after one? I got a it converted to run LPG its ridiculously cheap to run.

Anyway besides plugging my car, Like others say you keep on top of the maintenance then all is good.

I must defend for on this one, my ST never missed a beat. In 4 years of owning it all that it cost me (bar fuel and tyres etc) was a broken spring

check suspension bits have been replaced on that 150k accord, if not expect to put quite alot into it over the next few years if you plan to keep it

CL9 is bulletproof in good hands and with a proper maintenance. Check for service history and try car on the road. Also it has great potential in engine tranny and suspension tuning !