What's new

Lowering accord sport

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
Ive been thinking what i can do to the accord, as you carnt really tune the engine im thinking of lowering it and putting some nice alloys on, was thinking of lowering it 20 30 mm what size alloys would i be able to fit on without any scrapping or adjusting things?? Cheers

Lower it man, you won't regret it. I think it's about the best bang for buck mod on any car really.

Set of 17" should be fine mate, what you thinking just springs?

at least 17" with nice offset to fill arches or 18" would lokk great on any accord and with lowered suspension you don't need more ;)

To be honest i haven't a clue never done anything like this before was looking for advice really, as for alloys yeah would want any bigger then 17" they start to look like tractors when the wheels are to big

The lower the offset the more the wheel fills out the wheel arch. The offset is where the bolt/stud holes in the wheels are in relation to the center of the wheel, in other words the further back they are the lower the offset. I did try to add an image but it won't let me so if you Google "wheel offset" all should be clear.

Hope this explains things OK :).

If you prefer ride and handling I would stick with 16's.

exec said:
If you prefer ride and handling I would stick with 16's.
If your going to the trouble of lowering it then a set 17's at a minimum. 16's will look odd for sure, not enough wheel for the arch. Also ride quality is already compromised with lowering the car. If you want a smooth ride then stick to stock setup

I didn't noticed much difference between oem springs and KW in ride quality, and as TypeR said if you taking so much hassle to swap the springs then 17" is the minimum

Hi Dale, its all down to what your preference is matey, here is mine lowered 30mm on Apex springs with 16" wheels. I've never been told it looks odd? with 16's in fact quite the opposite, also them not filling the arch i dont understand either as i cant even get my foot in between the wheel and the arch so i guess they fill it quite well.

I used to run 18 inch wheels with 35 profile tyres and it was an absolute nightmare on our roads in Britain so i went down the 16" route, got a cheap set 1st to test and then found a set i liked.

Like i say the other guys aren't wrong its just preference, what car modding is all about. :)

Cheers guys i dont want anything crazy just want a nice look as i think its the little sleak things what make the accord look an amazing car without going stupid with changing the total look of the car, cheers will take a look at your link fella

Tipex's car looks spot on with the 16's. IMO it suits the car.

It certainly does thats the kind of look im looking for just need to decide what kind of alloys to get and what if any colour to have my accord is honda green pearlescent i think they call it.

Hello,

Thinking of lowering my 56 plate CDTI Sport-

Can anybody please help with recommending which lowering springs to use? Also would i need to change the shockers at the same time or will original ones be fine?

Thanks

Eibachs and Apex tend to be the two preferred options around these parts. Most saloon people go with Eibachs and Tourer owners (like me) go with Apex, mainly as Eibach have discontinued the tourer springs and it's harder to get hold of any. But the Apex are cheaper and I can speak from experience that they're very good.

Been running mine for 18 months on stock springs. Thought I had an issue with the shocks as stuff was rattling, but that turned out to be a drop link not my shocks.

Thank you very much for reply, most helpful.

Where would you recommend purchasing the Apex springs from?

Thanks

Also have you heard of G Max springs? They sell these locally and would not need to order online hence would be more convenient to purchase if any good? Thanks.

Cheers mate- i have purchased Apex Springs and will have them fitted hopefully by next week, will keep posted

TIPEX9 said:
Hi Dale, its all down to what your preference is matey, here is mine lowered 30mm on Apex springs with 16" wheels. I've never been told it looks odd? with 16's in fact quite the opposite, also them not filling the arch i dont understand either as i cant even get my foot in between the wheel and the arch so i guess they fill it quite well.

I used to run 18 inch wheels with 35 profile tyres and it was an absolute nightmare on our roads in Britain so i went down the 16" route, got a cheap set 1st to test and then found a set i liked.

Like i say the other guys aren't wrong its just preference, what car modding is all about. :)

that looks smashing! what wheels are they? look like itr's?

Hey

please could somebody answer my query

I have had Apex springs put on my CDTI Sport 56 plate- looks good, but the ride is a little
bouncy and not as smooth as before- is this normal? Thanks.

Thanks for reply

Will this settle? And Any idea what else i need to do to improve the drive following
Lowering? Thanks.

alot of the time if the cars seems to feel like jelly when u lower the car it means the shocks cant handle the springs damping rate. so will need to buy sport shocks

Ok thanks

If i decide not to change shocks (they not cheap!) will this cause any long term damage i.e shorter lifespan of shocks, uneven tyre wear etc?

shocks are already worn, so there's nothing to be shorten, it may cause uneven tyre wear and because shocks are worn they may not keep your wheel on the road all the time, so on uneven road under emergency breaking you may end up on someones rear end.