What's new

Petrol mpg

ish14

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 04
Hello,

Firstly, hello to all members here. my first post :)

I've been blessed with a new car...Honda Accord 04 Petrol 2.0...you gotta love Honda's

I have a couple of queries and thought i'd post individually.

I've had the car for about 3 months now. The car had been brought from a previous owner who did about 1000miles per year and for the last 2 years, no miles at all.

As you can imagine, there were numerous things which required changing / cleaning, windscreen washers, tyres, a service etc.

I just wanted to confrim what mpg i should be getting from the car. I have been told that i should be getting 30+mpg but i have been averaging 25mpg using premium unleaded fuel i.e. shell v power.

I have done a service myself (changing air filter, spark plugs, oil filter).

Any thoughts?

ish

I was probably getting between 30 and 35mpg out of mine. It was actually surprisingly good round town but pretty poor on a run due to the relatively high gearing.

I was probably getting between 30 and 35mpg out of mine. It was actually surprisingly good round town but pretty poor on a run due to the relatively high gearing.

Thanks Crespo...so there is hope for mine. Leads me to think that there might be an issue somewhere.

forgot to mention that i average about 35miles per day of which 15miles are on a motorway.

No the 2.4 is amazingly economical and all other Accord engine options are rubbish... there have been many, many, many posts in the last few months testifying to these facts.

Although, to be fair, they were all posted by Eric.

I'm sure there are hundreds of cars better than mine but in the accord range the 2.4 is miles better than the 2 litre. Economy as said by me and others is marginal. Its not like a few hundred quid tax is much difference.

Hi Ish, ignore Eric, he's on a 2.4 crusade :rolleyes:

How are your tyres? Tread depth and pressures? Did you replace the engine oil? I ***ume yours is Manual. If it's Auto, then mid 20s is about right.

Other thing to check for, especially as it's not been driven much in recent year is sticking brakes. The rears slightly binding is common the Accord.

Hi Ish, ignore Eric, he's on a 2.4 crusade :rolleyes:

How are your tyres? Tread depth and pressures? Did you replace the engine oil? I ***ume yours is Manual. If it's Auto, then mid 20s is about right.

Other thing to check for, especially as it's not been driven much in recent year is sticking brakes. The rears slightly binding is common the Accord.

Thanks dude.

It is indeed an auto (forgot to mention). So i guess 26/27mpg is about right.

Thanks for all your help guys

I have bought an 2007 accord executive automatic transmission couple weeks ago, and i'm doing between 35 en 30mpg ;)

I have 2.4. It costs me 30 pounds to get 240miles. Because I run it on lpg which is 68.9p a litre

I drive like an idiot

2.0i engine made a road trip to paris where i managed a 6.5l/km with 55mph road Taunton - A303 - M3 - Dover - Calais - A16 - A1- Paris and back
90L / 1373km * 100 = 6.5l/100km

I have done alot of driving the last week, Scotland to Ireland. fuel costs same as usual, 200 miles on half way marker then it drops down less linear. mixture of long distance and city driving and light came on at 330 miles, filled up to 55 litres i think today so still 10 litres reserve so probably good for another 30 miles or so until empty. If it was all log distance would knock a bit more off it.

Ive been geeky and have recorded the past 30 fill ups. Here is the figures from my 2.4 on 104k

Best MPG 36.52
Worst MPG 27.18
Average 31.18

Miles Driven 9444.6
Litres Used 1373.57

so my road to paris i made 43.1mpg; also i will make an 5000 miles record to see in all conditions the real mpg which i will expect not to be lower than 38mpg average!
i can say that i'm very happy with my 2.0i auto !

Accord 2.0 EX auto of 2006 I got
Best 9.8l / 100km = 29 mpg
Worst 12.85 = 22 mpg
Average 11.87 = 23.75 mpg
Last 3 months 11.74 = 24 mpg
mainly on city roads

Bought the car having 60k miles and now it has 90k, did 30k with it

I'll get back to you in July or August.

We do a road trip to northern Hungary every year, part of which involves seeing what kind of mpg we get on a long autobahn / autostrada / Alpine / cities / rural roads run with a boot full of camping gear and stuff for 3 weeks (so pretty well loaded).

We average somewhere between 4500 and 5500 miles, depending on whether I fancy going to Rome or somewhere equally stupidly out of the way. In 2014, the Accord is lined up for the trip.

The last couple of years were done in a superchipped MG ZT+ CDTi, giving 38 and 35mpg. Before that, a Rover 75 CDT did 38mpg, and a V6 75 estate did 32mpg.

Our Honda CR-V 2.0 petrol got 27mpg, my 1990 ST182 Celica gave 28mpg, my 1993 ST182 did the same, and my JDM ST185 Celica GT-4A got 26mpg. I didn't work it out for my old Scirocco, because I was too busy wishing it had air conditioning!

I get 40mpg cruising at 75mph on the motorway in my '07 2.0L Type S. In the city, with light traffic, I get 30, but if it's start-stop all the way, I'd be lucky to get 25. Car is regularly serviced and tyre pressures checked every weekend.

Just returned from Scotland - 422 miles at average of 33mpg. 75-80 mph so quite happy. My 2.4 Tourer was so comfortable - ate up the miles.

Today i managed to get 48mpg in my 2.0 executive AT. I'll post a picture later on :)

That is impressive for an Auto.

I've done 3 fill ups since I've had the car and I'm averaging 25mpg.

Mainly motorway driving at 70mph with the occasional blast saw 28mpg.

Mainly around town I'm getting 21/22mpg.

I still need to do an oil change (not had the weather) and I have the winter tyres on which will decrease it slightly but I'm impressed with that :)

Jon_G said:
No the 2.4 is amazingly economical and all other Accord engine options are rubbish... there have been many, many, many posts in the last few months testifying to these facts.

Although, to be fair, they were all posted by Eric.
It depends on what roads you drive the car, you can't say 2.4 is better than other engines calling them rubbish, it's many things you must consider before coming to a conclusion :D