What's new

VSA Modulator Light

You do really need to have the codes read to know what part needs replacing... buying your own reader would probably be the best option, imo, but make sure it'll read all codes (including those connected with VSA issues),

If you need a sensor they're much cheaper if you buy from a US supplier, but you need to buy one for a Honda Acura TSX (but not the US Accord, as it's different).

EDIT: If you have a multimeter/ohmeter, then you could go around all wheel sensors and check the connectors to see if one has gone open (or short) circuit. But I can't think of how you'd check the main VSA unit

Found a reader on amazon called maxiscan ms309 ,,,, anyone confirm this will read honda codes ok ??

It won't read the codes you're interested in. To explain a little this is an EOBD-compliant reader and will therefore read codes from your car, but only those relating to powertrain faults - basically engine and gearbox. I'm not aware of any consumer-level reader that can handle the ABS or SRS(airbag) systems but perhaps someone else is.

Normally for anything other than powertrain faults you need a professional-level scanner which will be very expensive to buy. Better off finding a local garage than can read it for you.

The snap on readers will read these codes if you no someone with one.
Luckily my mate has one at his garage and what a great but if kit they are.

Yep looks like Ive just learnt that lesson !!!! ELM reader and Torque app arrived this morning, no code , just a nice display of various dials !! Pish

Newbie here.....

Have had the modulator repaired by Ecu testing after being checked by McRae and **** Honda in Inverness. However the vsa triangle is lit , although the vsa letters are no longer displayed after start up.
Is this in order? The vsa switch has no impact on the vsa triangle.

Thanks

i spent an hour reading these pages lol

has anyone actually opened a VSA module and looked at it, I am an Electronic Engineer. I would love to take a few of these bad boys to the lab at work and see whats up with them as I find it wrong that so many can be at fault. It could be a blown PIC/MPU or some damaged passive components, the prices quoted and misery brought upon people is way off.

Evening folks, been a while!

Some of you may recall I had my VSA modulator replaced by Honda a while ago.

Well, now I have a rear passenger side sensor failure. Couple of questions please...

My lights seem to go on and off, and aren't a permanent feature, is this normal?

Where is the best place to get a new sensor? Seen a few on eBay going for around £70.

Hope everyone is well.

Rob.

ECU-testing or BBA reman Has anyone any further feedback on either of these options . My car has the dreaded fault code 66 showing with Honda Holdcroft saying £2k , trying another more local dealer Honda Hughes(Newtown , Powys) they contacted Honda customer services and came back with £800+ VAT + fitting = £1225

Car 55 reg 85,000 FSH.

Hence my question about the repair/recon option .... any thoughts please

Yes these 2 company's repair these now for a few hundred quid.
I'm sure the details are in this thread with feedback

My local Honda (Bexhill) have a company they send them away to. They either refurbish or replace with a refurbished unit. With labour for removal and replacement and a courtesy car for the whole time the VSA is away, they charge something between £600-£800, I forget what the exact amount is. Maybe give them a call and enquire about the company they use, maybe you can get the VSA out and sent off yourself. Also the company does a warranty on the VSA unit too, I forget what, maybe a 1-year, maybe longer.

Good to see this place is active as ever...

Hi Rob. eBay is often the place people pick up these sensors from. They're a bit expensive to get from Honda. But before you go doing that, have a go at cleaning your brake pedal switch as these get dirty and don't always register correctly which trips out the VSA light.

ECU-testing or BBA reman Has anyone any further feedback on either of these options . My car has the dreaded fault code 66 showing with Honda Holdcroft saying £2k , trying another more local dealer Honda Hughes(Newtown , Powys) they contacted Honda customer services and came back with £800+ VAT + fitting = £1225

Car 55 reg 85,000 FSH.

Hence my question about the repair/recon option .... any thoughts please
Had a VSA fault repaired by ECU - see my posts from Jan 2012 - and unit gave no issues at all.
Dave

Hi Rob. eBay is often the place people pick up these sensors from. They're a bit expensive to get from Honda. But before you go doing that, have a go at cleaning your brake pedal switch as these get dirty and don't always register correctly which trips out the VSA light.

Hi, thanks for the info, will check that. Sorry, I'd given up hope getting a reply do hadn't checked back until today.

Just read your guide Steve. I'm convinced mine is the sensor, as the diagnostic speed near side sensor as being too blame. I also have both vsa and abs lights on.

I've noticed that euro car parts sell one for 140.

Newbie here so go easy...cleaning the switch didn't solve it :(

Had a diagnostic at Honda Slough (£45!) and its 66-1 fault with replacement at £2089.53 + vat !!! :huh:

Asked if it falls under the TSB replacement policy as its over the 6 years but under the 62500 miles but told I was outside that as its whatever comes first...

I asked if they could call HUK to find out but they said it was up to me to do...ok fair enough so I went home

By the time I got home, had a call from the dealer saying as a good will gesture, they had a quick chat with HUK and managed to get it to £959 all in...(£650+vat for part then labour on top) take it or leave it...

So...decisions to be made as its still a fair whack...a couple hundred less and it would have been a no-brainer I think...

How does this sound to the esteemed panel?

Newbie here so go easy...cleaning the switch didn't solve it :(

Had a diagnostic at Honda Slough (£45!) and its 66-1 fault with replacement at £2089.53 + vat !!! :huh:

Asked if it falls under the TSB replacement policy as its over the 6 years but under the 62500 miles but told I was outside that as its whatever comes first...

I asked if they could call HUK to find out but they said it was up to me to do...ok fair enough so I went home

By the time I got home, had a call from the dealer saying as a good will gesture, they had a quick chat with HUK and managed to get it to £959 all in...(£650+vat for part then labour on top) take it or leave it...

So...decisions to be made as its still a fair whack...a couple hundred less and it would have been a no-brainer I think...

How does this sound to the esteemed panel?
Well, its half the usual price and you need it done to keep the car on the road regards next MOT. You also have winter coming up and I find VSA very handy in ice/snow.

sending it away is a gamble I took, and lost - you're looking at time off the road, costs of removing and replacing unit etc.

Personally, I'd take their offer, you're covered by their warranty after as well.

i spent an hour reading these pages lol

has anyone actually opened a VSA module and looked at it, I am an Electronic Engineer. I would love to take a few of these bad boys to the lab at work and see whats up with them as I find it wrong that so many can be at fault. It could be a blown PIC/MPU or some damaged passive components, the prices quoted and misery brought upon people is way off.

Hi Eric, Just wondering if you are still interested...Or anyone else really? Was going through the garage and found my old unit...I had mine replaced by Honda a while back. Now its collecting dust, I asked for it back because it was so expensive to replace I didnt want them to make more money from me by referbing it!

Been told that Mazda 6s give the same trouble and you can buy a new module for about £250, rather than the whole ***embly.

Hi, I've just been driving to work, my vsa came on, the dash lights flickered on and off, the needles did like a calibration thing then the abs light came in aswell, then went off, but the vsa stayed on until I stopped and restarted the car, any ideas? I have a warrenty still on the car.

Very weird - sounds like an electrical glitch, maybe battery or alternator related. Would need a diagnostic scan to establish cause really though. Just check for obvious things like a loose battery terminal..

Ok will do, the engine etc still ran no problem
Etc just the dash lights and climate
Control etc all flickered off at the same time as
The clocks did that flickering vsa, calibration etc too. Is that something you Can look at when I get the re-map done as part of a health check? Cheers

i was wondering when i would see my lights appear as i seem to have had all the other common issues happen on my ctdi. this month i got the 3 lights ABS,VSA and the warning triangle come on then they went off, then came back on. after turning off the car they stayed off for a few days then came back on again. turned the car off started it up after a minute and they were gone... you get the picture here! then they stayed on for about 3 days then decided to not come on for a few days. as it was intermittent i guessed/hoped that it was a sensor so i took it to a mate who has a reader and this is what we got -

the battery voltage high error code im guessing was from last year when i had to replace my unit as it was pumping too much voltage through the car causing all sorts of lights to come on including the VSA,ABS etc etc etc. the other codes confirm that its the o/s rear wheel sensor thats playing up, i was expecting it to be the n/s as this seems to be what others have had fail on theirs but not this time... i got him to delete the codes to see how it goes and the lights so far have stayed off..... he quoted me £47 for a Bosch sensor if it does need replacing which is much much cheaper than the £191 from Honda!!!!!

F6HAD said:
Not a bad result
i had all sorts of bad things going through my head at one time thinking that it could potentially right my car off with a huge bill. i am aware that there are companies that recon the units but i couldnt be without a car for any length of time due to work etc..... if the light comes back on then ill get the sensor replaced and at £47 its not a bad fix i guess....

They are back on so I guess I'll be ordering the sensor..

With the lights on does the ABS and VSA still work?

I'm pretty sure the systems will be disabled with the light on because it has detected the fault

Yes if the VSA light is on, it means the system has been disabled.