What's new

Buying advice for a 2.2 CDTI 2004-2006 model, £2000

ChrisG said:
I would be surprised if those were the actual mpg's you would get, the Honda diesel isn't the most economical. Realistically I would say there is a 20% difference between the 2, I have owned both cars albeit in facelift spec.
I appreciate the advice, but the 2.0 is 30% less efficient. If I was to get 40 mpg from a 2.0 that would be great, but it also implies I'd get 56mpg from the diesel, which is even better.

But it is a tempting idea, especially the auto...

if you want a diesel over a petrol for the sake of 16mpg you are not really a car enthusiast tbh. The 2.4 is a i-vtec engine, and its discussed to death here as being very economical and also very much fun when you feel so inclined. for the sake of 16mpg i sure know what i would do.

toffee_pie said:
if you want a diesel over a petrol for the sake of 16mpg you are not really a car enthusiast tbh. The 2.4 is a i-vtec engine, and its discussed to death here as being very economical and also very much fun when you feel so inclined. for the sake of 16mpg i sure know what i would do.
How many miles a year do you do and what mpg do you get?
I do like the vtec engine, but I suspect you do less than 5000 miles a year, am I right?

diversion from Eric :ph34r:

0_street_views_-_leith_walk_traffic_cones_037892.jpg

toffee_pie said:
if you want a diesel over a petrol for the sake of 16mpg you are not really a car enthusiast tbh.
Jon_G said:
I'm putting some cones around Eric and erecting a sign that says "do not feed the troll".
May I volunteer the sign from my avatar?

I ***ume Eric is joking, but in case he's not, there are many different ways car enthusiasm can manifest itself. Big, small, light and stripped out, luxurious, two-stroke, V-8, V-12, whatever. You can be an enthusiast and like any of them. I've been privileged to own a variety of different cars: turbo and twin-turbo Subarus, a V-8 Audi S8, a Jensen GT, a stripped out 1960 Mini weighing only 500kg, a brace of Saabs, a Triumph, a Hillman Imp. I've driven Alfas, Fiats, Lancias, and for one fabulous weekend an XJ12. Every one has satisfied a different part of my car enthusiasm. My Accord is the first diesel I've owned and, since its remap at least, it makes me as enthuiastic about it and about cars as any other I've owned. It's not better or worse than a petrol Accord, it's just different.

Blimey! We're seriously chasing our tails here boys :rolleyes:

:wub:

sorry guys. so can we get back to the if the op actually got this car or took it for a drive. :D

toffee_pie said:
more like 7-10k.

the way people here are pussying away from the 2.4 you would think it was a dodge viper

http://www.rssportscars.com/cars/2014-dodge-srt-viper-gts

its not a whole lot more expensive to run over a diesel in a a year. and its less likely to have any trouble.
2.4 VTEC: 10000 m / 28 mpg (parkers figure) * 4.55 L * £1.35 = £2294 + £200 extra for road tax (???)
2.2 tractor: 10000 m / 48 mpg (parkers figure) * 4.55 L * £1.40 = £1327

Eric, you spend over £1000 per year extra so you can drive a car that is no quicker in real driving environments. If you are happy with that then fine. Personally I would find that quite a shock. Its a nice holiday every year, extra special xmas presents, or, over 2-3 years its an entire cars worth of money donated to those nice people at BP. I think you're mad, but if you are a petrol head and have money to burn (literally) then fair play to you, but I don't sadly. Plus, as I've said, I think the turbo torque experience is very nice, whether on petrol or a diesel (we have a ford ecoboost, which is great in this respect too).

I'm agreed to Jamie, I do love petrol, but sadly I earn very little money, therefore I chose my 2.2 EX instead of 2.4 Type S, I do missed and regretted to sell my Celica T Sport :(

This "Petrol VS Diesel" argument had settled down long ago and shouldn't be reopen. They are totally different from the use of the purpose, torque and rev range, throttle response, fuel consumption etc etc.......
We should drop this comparison, and focus on the topic to give advise of the 2.2 ctdi engine to Jamie.

End of the story

The last couple of points are spot on the money. The Diesel is cheaper to fuel and with the torque from the Turbo makes it a superb car for daily running and would probably happily hold its own in a drag against a K24. But frankly, who's ever going to the dragging their K24s against i-CDTIs?

Sadly I foresee the Petrol camp piping up with the "reliability" arguments...

Then the Diesel camp arguing that the diesel's misrepresented on here in terms of reliability as the majority of people sign up as they have a problem and there are many people out there running happy diesel Accords, and with the right research you can solve the Diesel's known issues without too much expenditure. And besides as time goes by, we're seeing the petrols have some known niggles too...

The Petrol camp will argue refinement/smooth running

The Diesel camp will argue torque

The Petrol camp will argue VTEC

The Diesel camp will argue real world driving conditions & cost of MPG

The Petrol camp will argue reliability... and so round we go

Anyone else getting a little bored?

Yep I am.
Buy what you can afford and what suits your needs and makes you happy.
The op asked about the diesel so let's stick with giving him advice on that instead of criticising his decision.

Let's consider the mighty video game console wars of the early 1990s. The SEGA Mega Drive Versus The Super Nintendo.

Basically, the SNES was slightly more powerful, the Mega Drive was a little more cost effective. SNES had Mario (, Mega Drive had Sonic. But over the months the arguments became this puerile:

Due to the higher graphical capabilities of the Super Nintendo, there are 4 elephants in the background on Dhalsim's stage in Street Fighter 2, however the Mega Drive's inferior graphical capability means there are only 2 elephants in the background of Dhalsim's stage on Street Fighter 2...

Seriously, I remember being 9 years old and believing this was a worth while argument!

---

So with that said, I'd like to echo Dave G's comments, buy what suits you, what you need and what makes you happy.

In fact, I'm going to go one step further. Jamie, buy a 2.2 Diesel with just under 100K on the clock. If it's pre-facelift, ensure it's had its manifold done. Check for VSA lights or a history of unresolved VSA issues in the paperwork. Ideally, it's had it's VSA problems and the previous owner has sorted them. Check for sluggish acceleration as this could point to the need for some cleaning round some of the intake stuff or the fuel filter not being OEM. Check for a slipping clutch, but don't be totally put off. The Clutch self regulates for wear and sometimes can go through odd phases on self regulating a little on the slow side.

Once you've bought your 2.2, take it Fahad and get a stage 1 remap with EGR delete and maybe get the DPF removed too. Then slap a **** off massive front mounted intercooler on that bad boy and throw a noisy exhaust on their too. Lower it on coil overs and get some bad boy looking rims. Tint the windows and throw some bits of front lip and side skirting on. It will look badass!

Just check out Tomas44's car or Wing's car or ukaccord's car. I've seen them in the flesh mate and they looks/sounds awesome! Stunning examples of 2.2s. And I'd be nervous about racing them in them my 2.4.

jamie000 said:
2.4 VTEC: 10000 m / 28 mpg (parkers figure) * 4.55 L * £1.35 = £2294 + £200 extra for road tax (???)
2.2 tractor: 10000 m / 48 mpg (parkers figure) * 4.55 L * £1.40 = £1327

Eric, you spend over £1000 per year extra so you can drive a car that is no quicker in real driving environments. If you are happy with that then fine. Personally I would find that quite a shock. Its a nice holiday every year, extra special xmas presents, or, over 2-3 years its an entire cars worth of money donated to those nice people at BP. I think you're mad, but if you are a petrol head and have money to burn (literally) then fair play to you, but I don't sadly. Plus, as I've said, I think the turbo torque experience is very nice, whether on petrol or a diesel (we have a ford ecoboost, which is great in this respect too).
Its not a problem to me tbh. I get what you are saying though. I don't see it as an extra grand. I see it as trouble free comfortable motoring.

Stevearcade said:
Once you've bought your 2.2, take it Fahad and get a stage 1 remap with EGR delete and maybe get the DPF removed too. Then slap a **** off massive front mounted intercooler on that bad boy and throw a noisy exhaust on their too. Lower it on coil overs and get some bad boy looking rims. Tint the windows and throw some bits of front lip and side skirting on. It will look badass!
Don't forget the Type Accord Sticker(s) to complete the look. :)

Do I need to declare a remap to insurance... is it traceable? Does this increase the premium much?

What is VSA and how do i check it?

In answer to Eric, I haven't even test drove one yet, but I know it will be fine.... if I am back here moaning about diesel reliability in a few months time please dont be too harsh :p

VSA is vehicle stability ***ist. Make sure the light doesn't come on on a test drive. Originally it was an expensive fault to fix but not so bad now so I wouldn't worry too much.

All mods should be declared. How much it affects your premium depends very much on your insurer.

In the event of a smash, should the insurers run diagnostics on the ECU, they may discover it's mapped and declare you invalid. If the smash is your fault, this could leave you in hot water! I have no idea about the likelihood of this happening however.

I insure with Chris Knott and when I get my remap in the summer, I will be declaring it. A) because it's a modification and all mods should be declared and B) even if I wanted to get away without declaring, I'd have told everyone here about it and Chris Knott are affiliates. They wouldn't have to look very hard to find out I'm running an undeclared modification :lol: .

Speak to our affiliated insurers. They're pretty good for modified cars.

Jon_G said:
...we need more cones. Maybe a cage?
You must be immune to all the diesel issues that have cropped up here by now. Serious, any number of them to fix could easily wipe that 1k 'saving' to the gutter.

Chris Knott would not insure me because I was in stirling and my coilovers not covered.. Whatever the hell that means. 10years no claims.

Either that or the guy on the phone hadn't a clue what I was saying

:lol: Jon, you're funny!

lol

if there is a quarantine section here i would be ok to be moved for a few days penance and reflection.

:p

I have had my 2005 Honda saloon sport 2.2 diesel for 5 years and it has 106,000 miles on the clock. Payed Cloverleaf Honda £2600 plus my W reg Honda Shuttle as part ex. If Honda UK hadn't helped out for the cost of repairs I would have got rid of the Accord ages ago. I have had warranty work on Timing chain and injector replacement (£2,200) VSA modulator (£1,800) manifold (£850) rear wheel caliper and new disc and pads (£400) Crankshaft pulley (£350). Another plus is whenever I have had a sevice and MOT (usually £130) I always get a free comprehensive breakdown cover. Touchwood the clutch is still ok. The most I would get for my car even with all the work that has been done is £2,500. If I was looking for a car for around £2,000 now I would get a 2004/5 Honda Stream 2.0 i-VTEC SE Sport 5dr. Stream is a great car for the money.

Having only brought a cdti last week and looking at lots of adverts, I'd say that you would be very lucky to find one for under £2500 and many of them will be very high mileage. I looked at 2 for under 3k and they were not good examples at all. That said, some people just get lucky! Good luck with your purchase.

no point talking to some people., there is no such thing as cheap... if you get a car like an accord (petrol or diesel), and it goes wrong it will cost you accordingly. This is a 20k car and just because its 'old' doesn't mean its any less 'cheap' to fix up in the event of a mishap