What's new

Littlebo/UKCL9 CL9/CM2 - K24 Reflash/Remap Test ECU

Hi, I haven't gone through the whole thread but I'm seeing the reflash getting high praise.

I'm looking at becoming a Accord owner again and looking at the 2.4, I've always said when driving the family 2.0 it needs another 50BHP. (When I say family I mean my old man's car, I drive a Z4)

Since it'll be a daily commuter, spending most of its time in stop start traffic, i'll most likely go for the auto, how reliable is the auto box with the reflash? Any issue raised?

Also out of curiosity, any thing developed for the 2.0 Petrol cars?

Sorry if it the question sounds dumb, but I've always wanted a "Type R" Accord but can't justify the cost of an Euro R, might as well buy a DC5 at that money.

2.4 auto is very sluggish mate! I think even stock 2.0 manual give you more fun when worked hard.

krisdee said:
2.4 auto is very sluggish mate! I think even stock 2.0 manual give you more fun when worked hard.
I find the auto in our 2.0 to be quite good considering its age, it changes smooth and quick for a 13 y/o box, I certainly wouldn't say no to a manual, I prefer a manual transmission in a car, my Z4 is a manual and it would be silly to have an auto in a sports car, but the purpose of the Accord for me is a motorway muncher and to make life easier in traffic.

But i'd probably would end up getting the manual anyway xD

Cheers for the info.

Hi Uncle_Gravy ! AT on cl9 are bulletproof, holds 350 boosted hp for years. Just dont overheat it and flush the oil in time. MT ftw though ))
I have some fun for 2.0 vegetable too but i strongly recommend to go with 2.4, youll not regret.

2.0 Vegetable xD Thanks for the info littlebo

Anyone posted up an acceleration vid with the reflash?

Uncle_Gravy said:
6.4s 0-60 in an Accord :blink: I'm sold, Just need to find a decent Type S now.
Real gps speed 0-60mph is 6.7-6.8s
0-100kmh is exactly 7.0s
Reflash, homemade CAI and heavy 18' fn2 wheels.

That k24 is the best engine they made. Still dont understand why the heck they made oil squrters for pistons for civil sedan engine and badly detuned it at the same time.

If you throw away hella heavy stock rims and get something to weigh 7-7.5 kg you can make 6.7 0-100.

Did i reqd somewhere that a flash on a EuroR cl7 is possible?

Does it work on the face lift models?

Did i read somewhere that a flash on a EuroR cl7 is possible?

Does it work on the face lift models?

Honda Accord Executive CL9 (2003) Test ECU review

Firstly i have to say a big thanks to UKCL9 for what can only be described as a blisteringly fast turn around on sending out test ECU, Flashing and sending mine back, top bloke, proper car guy and just does exactly what he says hes gonna do with no nonsense. Secondly credit has to be given to Littlebo for the work that he has put into this, coming from a control automation background myself i know what its like to have to reverse engineer someone elses work and make it better, so credit where credit is due.

Ok so this review may be slightly different as its coming from the perspective of one of older members on here, but as a bit of background ive been driving old school Vtec Hondas since before some of you were born im sure lol. The accord i picked up 2.5 years ago, FSH, 69k miles, great condition with just a few age related marks. So ive decided that now that ive had my moneys worth out of the car id give this reflash a try as ive been following the thread on and off.

Fitting

Fitting is extremely simple, 3x philips head screws to remove trim, unclip 4 multiplugs from UCU and 2x 10mm bolts to release ECU. Its quite tight for space so i also removed 2 heater ducting 90 degree bends and 1 multiplug bracket for easier access. Time to do this 1 coffee, if you've done it before youl have it done before kettle is boiled.

First Impressions

After checking all warning lights go out and no faults on ECU i took it a quick run round the village and everything is still lovely and sedate and doing what it always did. I doubt whether my GF would even notice ive been in there with my evil little spanners when she drives it, shes just relieved i got my ECU 'Fixed' :unsure:

Town driving

Fast forward now to about a tank of petrol later, one of the bugbears i had with the car pre remap was that at very low speeds in traffic (low speed, low rpm) was that when changing gear 1-2, 2-3 the car would feel jerky (not always but alot) no matter how gentle you were with the clutch. This has been vastly improved with the new map IMO and its a more relaxed place to be when your stuck in traffic. Its not completely gone but noticeably better (75% if i had to put a figure on it). You do notice the sharper throttle response on pick up, its nice, just makes the car feel a touch lighter and more nimble at slow speeds

Cruising (to work)

I mention cruising mainly because this is what my car was purchased for, 32 mile round trip to work and back on a very quiet B-road at 65-70 on cruise control. Again, no shocks here everything still works and does what it should. If i have to overtake anyone without dropping gears then its totally fine, maybe a tad more responsive than before but still very quiet and refined. With regards to fuel economy i dont have any figures yet but pre-ECU upgrade, i always got 400-415 miles on a tank without fail doing the above journey so it will be interesting if nothing else to see what post-ECU upgrade brings so i will post results in a month or so after a few tanks.

Late for work (sorry vtec)

Ok pre-ECU swap this was the other bugbear that annoyed me with this car coming from old school vtecs, CL9 vtec is so high up the rev range its practically useless IMO. Anyway with the new map for sure the car is certainly transformed, Plant your foot on the throttle in second and tone of the engine changed to a more serious note, i cant honestly say that there is any noticeable vtec engagement it feels seamless to me. Someone else commented that it almost feels electric and i can see what they mean, the revs just keep rising at a steady rate up to the red line, Certainly less manic than my DC2 or my old CRX's, This isn't a criticism, quite the opposite as you soon find out when you look at your speedo ! Anyhoo i wont elaborate as alot of this has been said before in previous posts, it transforms the car, it pulls hard in every gear with no flat spots or tail off as you red line it.

Conclusion

For anyone worried about doing this mod to your car, don't be. I still have my old car that will cruise serenely to work every day in quiet comfort, or the extra grunt is sitting there if you feel the need. My car is otherwise completely stock and combine that with being dirty with wheels that need a refurb or replaced its a bit of a sleeper.

For the old guys like me- remap, keep it stock

For mild tuners- remap, intake, coilovers, maybe exhaust

More advanced - Shorter gears, header plus above makes it worthy of the red badge it never got in my book

Now to the crucial Q is it worth it? As i don't want to start an argument i will say this, 20 years ago i was running about in CRX's and had friends who had paid the same money for superchips remap that gave them well, the same power they had before ! I'm kind of kicking myself i didn't do it 2.5 years ago.

If ive missed anything feel free to ask,

Regards,
Bob

bob_t said:
shes just relieved i got my ECU 'Fixed' :unsure:

Great write up, very well explained.

Cool write up Bob ! Knowing how lazy ppl are nowadays we must did really well and you must be really excited with the brew to gave us so many emotions. Thanks man ! So happy we have real Honda guys with gas in venes, vtecking hard and farking the fuel economy ) Ehm.. something told me .. cough .. i suspected me and Frazer are cool blokes but after er feedback im absolutely rock solid bout it lol :D :D :D

Hi Sergey,
not a problem it's just my honest opinion based on about 5 days driving. I have no hidden agenda as i don't know any of you personally.

For me its a no brainier for anyone already modding or thinking about modding their pre facelift 2.4, you won't get more bang for your buck with any other mod. Add the fact it takes 10 mins to fit, what's not to like?

Hi All,

Just an update and a big thanks to littlebo and ukcl9 for all their help and guidance since September 2016 when after reading about the reflash i decided to upgrade my 2003 Accord Exec AT rather than sell it and look for something new.

For anyone thinking of getting the reflash, Bob's description above says it all, i can only say that you wont regret it and that littlebo (sergey) and ukcl9 (frazer) are both friendly, helpful and 100% knowledgeable on the Accord and its capabilities.

Having previously modified a Subaru Forester S-Turbo, I have owned the car since 2006 and it has been stock since then. In the last 6 months I have upgraded the following based on the advice of sergey and frazer:-

K24 Reflash
littlebo header, decat pipe (No emissions testing on Isle of Man) and J35 Throttle Body
Injen CAI
Fujitsubo legalis cat back system
Koni Yellow Sports kit plus H&R springs
Progress rear ARB
Hardrace front upper and lower arms, droplinks, tierods and balljoints
Japspeed Rear Camber Arms
Blueprint front wheel bearings
Brock Avalon 18 inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres 235/40

Still To do/fit
Hunter Wheel alignment
Front Brakes - Spoon or Acura RL/TSX conversion
Gates Belt and Ralco RZ Alloy crank kit

The car is now very fast & enjoyable to drive, it always was a great motorway cruiser but it now stretches its legs on the twists and turns of the IOM TT course, looking forward to the beginning of June when 9 miles of the mountain circuit is one way traffic only for 2 weeks ..

gezhow said:
littlebo header, decat pipe (No emissions testing on Isle of Man) and J35 Throttle Body
Injen CAI
Fujitsubo legalis cat back system
Koni Yellow Sports kit plus H&R springs
Progress rear ARB
Hardrace front upper and lower arms, droplinks, tierods and balljoints
Japspeed Rear Camber Arms
Blueprint front wheel bearings
Brock Avalon 18 inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres 235/40
Hi,

What do you mean by Littlebo header ? You speak about his exhaust manifold, because I don't know if he build inlet manifold.
Is J35 throttle body efficient ? I plan to mount an RSP header & throttle body, still in my garage, I'm waiting about my injector"s washers.
Fujitsubo legalis cat back system is my dream, nice sound & not too loud. But my priority now are the brakes...

Purely out of interest cause I asked before if it can be done on the 2L engine, but never got told what changes are made with the tune.

Everyday I keep considering shopping my 3.0i Z4 in for a CL9 but a low mileage manual Type S are getting harder and harder to find.

It must be nearly a year now since I had the re-flash...so far no problems engine, clutch or transmission wise, and I do like to use it hard fairly often.
I do regular oil and filter changes and check the levels often though as these engines do like to drink the oil.
Performance wise ive been very pleased, ive had a play with quite a few different performance cars on the open roads and im not exagerating when I say it will keep up and slightly pull away from a focus ST (second gear roll off a roundabout) and behind a EP3 type R I had to back off the throttle slightly under hard accelleration, he was surprised and gave me the thumbs up after.
This being with the home made CAI too plus light weight wheels which im not sure how much difference they make but ive heard they do help.
Its definitly more of an R than an S with these changes.

I'm starting to look into the reflash thing but I'm still so unsure as to what the changes are is there a difference as to when the vtec kicks in and ends and is there a difference in throttle response? .. sorry for maybe asking something that maybe already answered but there seems to be so many different opinions and threads and I just seem to of got lost in jt all and need some convincing details... sorry again if this upsets anyone..

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk