What's new

P2004 - IMRC Intake Manifold Runner Control problems

Thanks fahad hopefully this will cure a lot of the problems we all experienced o btw this valve works in conjunction with the egr valve hence the hesitation etc

I'm puzzled.
I had the same DTC code, but never noticed the hesitation. Still, I bought a new valve and the code didn't disappeared straight away. Only about a week after changing it.
ph34r.gif

Well done Waj and everyone else who contributed to this. Am i right in thinking this can cause the hesitation that people been talking about without throwing up the code?

Nice one Waj. Me thinks there will be a rush on Honda dealers for new solenoid valves. Better get in quick.

Just a thought. Beefy from Holdcroft earlier on in the thread stated "the manufacturing process was changed to rectify the problem, as it is intermitant the fault may clear and not return for some time. replacing the valve should cure the fault." Seeing as so many of us are having these hesitancy problems potentially caused by this FSV is it reasonable to ask Honda to replace this part or at least to contribute towards the cost.

Yeah I can see it now major shortage of frequency valves across honda dealerships lol and I don't think honda will really contribute towards the cost although people power may change their minds hint hint

Just to add well done Waj, sometimes it just takes a bit of perseverance and time to troubleshoot. Well chuffed for you, you've got your motor back. Nice one!

Well I disconnected the plug earlier as you have to remove the plastic engine cover I couldnt do it at work, so did it when I got home. Well I thought it was jerking at first but not sure now.

Will leave it disconnected for the run to work tomorrow and see how it is. If its OK it seems like I will have to splash out.

I know waj paid £116, just out of interest how much can we get these from HH for? Just interested if there is much difference.

Saying that my laptop packed up tonight :) so thats another few hundred quid that needs spending ;)

But if it sorts it, then I am not too bothered, just be nice to be fixed and fingers crossed it may alleviate my smokiness

I strongly suggest members that if you want to pursue any sort of compensation or costs from Honda ..Then do that on your own accord, please at NO time will you be allowed use TA as a leverage to get any sort influence. If I find out anyone has then please consider yourself .. banned on the spot.

Ask yourselves one question will Honda pay anything to you when your car engine is no longer stock.. you will look foolish ..enough said.

Thanks for the er advice CJ. It was just a question, I have no intention of bringing the good name of TA into disrepute.

Right then, Just a quick update (Waj you maybe able to ***ist more than some) I drove my car to work this morning and it didnt seem to jerk, apart from once but not as harsh. Did you experience any jerking Waj when you disconnected the wire? I had the trouble that mine does seem a bit intermittent for the jerkiness, but it is usually there most days.

I will leave it disconnected for the run home and then make my mind up. I am guessing that the number on the box is the part number I will need to order if I go for one?

One final question Waj, did yours smoke alot? cant remember now and if so, has this helped?

Cheers Nick

Nick my car was jerking before I took the sensor off and it was really bogged down power wise even with the remap. After I disconnected it there was no jerking it was smooth.my car smoked when I put my foot down but after I got the new part power is back smoke is minimal its made a huge difference all round.i have a pre facelift so the part no. could be different to yours I have an idea b4 u splash the cash at the HH meet get someone with same car as yours to swap their valve just to test it it takes 2 minutes to swap and then you will definitely know what to do.sorry for the long post mods.

When you look at the pictures of the new solenoid, notice something different -- the filter is now an integral part instead of a pipe that you would connect the filter to, do you think this is the area of concern. At least now I know not to order the filter also !

Yeah I saw that and was surprised but I think the new design is a step in the right direction

Nick my car was jerking before I took the sensor off and it was really bogged down power wise even with the remap. After I disconnected it there was no jerking it was smooth.my car smoked when I put my foot down but after I got the new part power is back smoke is minimal its made a huge difference all round.i have a pre facelift so the part no. could be different to yours I have an idea b4 u splash the cash at the HH meet get someone with same car as yours to swap their valve just to test it it takes 2 minutes to swap and then you will definitely know what to do.sorry for the long post mods.

Ah ! just missed your post, that will possibly explain the difference, on the facelift the little black round plastic thing (filter) is separate to the solenoid and connected by another vac pipe, hence why I was wondering whether that was the modification, but it could of course be different on the pre-facelift. Will need to compare with a new facelift component.

Right then, Just a quick update (Waj you maybe able to ***ist more than some) I drove my car to work this morning and it didnt seem to jerk, apart from once but not as harsh. Did you experience any jerking Waj when you disconnected the wire? I had the trouble that mine does seem a bit intermittent for the jerkiness, but it is usually there most days.

I will leave it disconnected for the run home and then make my mind up. I am guessing that the number on the box is the part number I will need to order if I go for one?

One final question Waj, did yours smoke alot? cant remember now and if so, has this helped?

Cheers Nick

Nick

I think if you feel a slight inclination of a judder it is possibly because the swirl valve is no longer being controlled as finely, I would say if you feel a 99% improvement then the part is really suspect. Also I noticed a lot more smoke when accelerating with a little bit more weight but again ***ume because it is effectively disabling part of the emissions system etc then this would be a by product.

One other thing I have noticed is the engine is running a lot quieter since unplugged and I used to get a little (diesel) rattle especially when cold but again that has gone.

I am going to plug mine back in this evening as I have now had two days on the trot without issue, so I am expecting it to play up once re-connected, however as the problem is described as intermittent, it will of course probably not return for a little while.

Cjm you going to the HH Meet? Is your car a facelift?

Yes got my name down, so fingers crossed, touching wood and all that I'll be there,

The car is a face-lift, now with 42k on the clock. there are some pictures of it on the gtechniq review in the detailing section.

I suspect this part has been like this for a while, thinking on what other people have said on here and the Civic forum, it was just highlighted by the Map, I think I was just lucky at first and was in one of those "working" parts of the intermittent fault, as it did not show itself until a little while after the Map, it is only in the last week when it started to get annoying!!

Some of the guys have had this for ages, so if it turns out to solve what is probably the most annoying problem reported then I'm sure the HH meet will be even happier.

It's interesting that this part has been identified before, but just sort of slipped the radar in respect of this issue, it is with hindsight great luck on your part to get the MIL light and code (already rep pointed you for this anyhow and others ) glad the thread has been pinned B)

Carl if the new part has a filter, perhaps thats the only bit that needs changing?

I'm ***uming our meeting is no longer needed now too ? B)

Carl if the new part has a filter, perhaps thats the only bit that needs changing?

I'm ***uming our meeting is no longer needed now too ? B)

Fahad,

You ***ume right :lol: not of course that i am happy not to meet up, it is that I'm happy I don't have to go back to stock ;) :D :D :D

Thanks for all the help.

I was wondering whether it was just the filter,as this would save members a lot of money, although I would have thought Beefy-634 would have mentioned it. It shows it as a separate part on lings and I was going to replace it as a matter of course, I'll enquire when I go in to order it

Well perhaps that's why the revised the design and made the filter as a seperate servicable item... Just ***uming anyway.

Anyone got the link to the facelift part on lings? I might order the filter at the weekend, try this and see what happens. If its no better, then I will probably just order the unit itself!

Carl: mine is also a facelift, now done 64K but had done 56k when I got it and it has had the issue all along, although obviously slightly exagerated by the map.

Also just had contact from Gary Marshall - he took his car to Honda for the same problem recently.. and guess what part they changed to fix it B)

His thread his here but needs updating with his comments about the fix as he's not checked back with us.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/464-jerking/

Nick.. I'm pretty sure this part is the cause of your problems mate.

Anyone got the link to the facelift part on lings? I might order the filter at the weekend, try this and see what happens. If its no better, then I will probably just order the unit itself!

Carl: mine is also a facelift, now done 64K but had done 56k when I got it and it has had the issue all along, although obviously slightly exagerated by the map.

Nick

Link to Lings for the facelift

Lings

it is part No. 17 VALVE ***Y., FREQUENCY SOLENOID £108.91

The filter (don't know whether it needs replacing) is part no. 8 FILTER ***Y., SOLENOID VALVE

Also just to confirm according to Lings part nos and diagrams the part is different to the pre-facelift and it does show the filter as separate.

Maybe some cash splashed at the weekend then! If it don't fix it I blame you Faddy :D

Oh and cheers again Carl

Hope it works nick I've also noticed that my mpg has also improved just to think such a small part causes so many problems

Last night re-connected (suspect solenoid) and at first it all went well but it wasn't long until the issue was back, not as severe, I was going to leave it connected for a complete cold start in the morning, but just decided I couldn't cope with the jerking etc so dis-connected and ordered the part today, together with the filter (face-lift model so filter is separate) Total cost £135.94.

The solenoid should arrive tomorrow and the filter not until Tuesday. I think I may just fit the filter first and see if that changes anything, then change the solenoid valve.

Hmmm. should I wait now.... might await your thoughts Carl and order my parts on Monday.

Yup might just be a filter issue on the facelift cars..

Doubt it Fahad if what Adam says is right the I ***ume it is the control valve itself. Will wait to see the results of Carls then order mine, although I had some jerking today on mine in 3rd gear when going round a roundabout with the valve disconnected. Hmmm could just be more money wasted for me!

I wonder why they made it a seperate part then for the filter.. I'd still look at that first especially if it's only £20 or so.