What's new

VSA Modulator Light

Apparently someone on the old THAOC forum had the same problem with their VSA after they had their manifold replaced: "I got my car back today after getting the manifold changed under warranty but the VSA Warning light is now permanently on!" - this is the bit of blurb from Google, but obviously THAOC is not around any more so cannot read the full thread.

Was that anyone here who had the problem? And if so, what was the final outcome?

Nick, as stated in previous posts, it's nothing to do with replacing the manifold itself but the fact someone has been under your bonnet and has most likely accidentally struck the VSA modulator and caused internal damage..

I would speak to the Service Manager at the dealership and if he/she is unwilling to help then go to Honda GB and explain the problem and suggest they check here to see how common this issue is becoming. It cannot be right that on every ocassion where the VSA modulator has failed, it's shortly after someone has been under the bonnet to do some work.

thats good news thanks CJ

so if i'm reading that right that 6 years from manufacture yes? 3 years on top of the standard 3

62,000 miles.... thats a bit of a random mileage! Mine has just clocked over that, so fingers crossed mine wont ever go, but good news for anyone who has the issue and within those time frames :lol:

Definitely excellent news CJ, and thanks for putting this out there.. I'm sure a lot of people Googling the issue will stumble across here and no doubt armed with this info, will save some pretty pennies!!

Let's hope they don't do anything careless when my manifold is changed. I think I'll make a point of mentioning the known problem when it is booked in, so if there is a problem I MIGHT have a little protection as I am way past that mileage :rolleyes:

So the next question is, have they fixed the fault for any new VSA replacements?

Wherabouts is the VSA module, may have to replace mine if it isn't a wheel sensor!

It a well documented statistic.. once there has been major work under the bonnet this wonderful contraption made by the uber reliable German manufacturer fails..:(

I wish it was well documented with Honda, because they are still taking absolutely no liability for the problem with my VSA which came on minutes after collecting my car from having the manifold and timing chain replaced. According to the dealer who is using Honda UK as their backing, there is no correlation whatsoever between the work carried out and the faulty module! End of story as far as they're concerned.

As a "goodwill" gesture, they have offered to do the work for just shy of £1600!!

If you can point me in the direction of further evidence that there is a direct link between work being done and he failing VSA modules, then I would very much appreciate it.

buy a second hand VSA unit, £150 it cost me DIY and thats it lights out :(

i was gonna say screw vsa get lsd but then realised this was the diesel thread.......

gits!

lol very funny ani , but seriously guys...its good honda have extended the warranty on the vsa, but only with cars with such low millages as 62000, ;) that is low, i think your right cj it is a cost thing for honda to look at, regarding honda uk guys, they can be very helpfull especially if the dealer is also arguing your case for you, in my case honda hendon(london) done a brilliant job!!so to kinda sway the minds of honda uk make sure you go to a helpfull dealer.

62,000 miles.... thats a bit of a random mileage! Mine has just clocked over that, so fingers crossed mine wont ever go, but good news for anyone who has the issue and within those time frames ;)

As you know, 62,000 miles is about equivalent to 100,000 kilometres ... the extended warranty is probably specified in KMs from Honda

Zika, one of our members succesfully fitted a second hand unit from a breakers. Total cost I think around £200 all in..

Hi guys!

I havent gone yet to the Malta Honda. However, i would like to know how to get the part number of the VSA. I heard that there is this good site, 1stchoice.co.uk which checks hundreds of yards and come back to you with options. Anyone can tell me if it is easy to find the part number?

rdgs

Matthew

So I have finally checked with Honda Malta about whether they can change my VSA modulator and guess what? They did't hear of such a recall and they are not ready to change it for me for free!! Lovely - Just as I thought. I have also sent an email to Honda UK complaining that in Malta they are not being helpful and I got the following:

""""Dear Mr Sciberras,

Thank you for contacting Honda (UK),

I am very sorry to learn that you are having difficulty in having your Honda Accord repaired under the extended warranty that you mention but I am afraid that there is not a lot I can arrange for you.

Each European country's respective Honda branch operates semi-independently from the others, with only administrative links through Honda Motor Europe up to Honda Japan. This allows for individual countries to set their own policies regarding pricing, marketing and, importantly, offers a degree of autonomy with regards to warranty, especially extended warranties.

Honda (UK) have distributed bulletins to our dealer network regarding the VSA issue that you mention, but we would be unable to advise whether Honda in Malta would have done the same, so while we would encourage you to contact the head office for Malta to see if it is possible to have the work carried out in that country, the only way we could be sure your car would be looked at with a view to repairing it under this particular warranty would be to have it returned here to the UK. Before these diagnostics, however, we could not guarantee that the extended warranty would be applicable to your fault. """""

I need to try and find the new part number of the VSA. I would like to purchase one second hand and get it fitted. Any ideas what this part number might be?

Matt

You have a PM the part number for your chassis is 57110SEFE56 cost £1,323.84

Many thanks mate. I posted the part number on 1stchoice.co.uk - hopefully ill find a decent one from some yard. Is it difficult to change? Can I trust ppl to do the job for me?

Thanks

Matthew

That would be so awesome dude!! thanks for your help.. would be awesome to find one for that price!

Zika, thanks mate.

Yes we are already aware of the warranty extension, which whilst not brilliant, is still a step in the right direction for Honda.

Good info there regarding Honda's goodwill for a car just outside the warranty and yes of course VAT increase will mean you pay more.

Keep us posted on your progress with Honda.

Honda's goodwill band would appear to be less than 12.5k miles.

I've just had my dealer's initial request for ***istance turned down by HUK outright because my car is at 74k miles. Not even a snifter of any help.

Needless to say I'm pressing HUK on the issue and we shall see where we get :lol:

Please be polite and respectful when dealing with HUK.

I doubt Clarkson would be particularly interested :unsure:

Heh... Clarkson interested in a diesel? I think you're speaking to the wrong presenter... aim for the Panda driver... offer him a low milage Dacia Sandero probably cheaper than the VSA unit off the shelf :p

Sorry I haven't replied to this since my initial refusal from the dealership, I've been working like mad (kinda trying to get finances back on track)

62500 is the magic number, if you're over that, HUK's default answer (through your dealer) will be no additional support. - but then, we knew that already.

However, if you're polite and ask HUK directly and nicely to review the case, offer them your background, and why you're seeking some ***istance then you should (as I did) get a positive answer and some offer of goodwill.

Having compared the amount I was offered, and a couple offers from the motoring website "honest John" I think HUK are working on about 5p per mile after 62500.

Needless to say £881.89 for a non moving part is still a very irritating pain in the :unsure: :lol:

Glad you got some joy mate... Could have been worse I suppose.

Glad you got some joy mate... Could have been worse I suppose.

My thoughts exactly... nearly £1k instead of £2k? doesn't take the brains of a mathematician or rocket scientist to see it as an offer to be taken up on....

shame it kicks my modifying budget into touch :(

guys i think my vsa is shot
last night i was over taken a car and the light flicked twice and the power dropped i thought it was ice.
I got in the car this morning and the vsa light is on.