What's new

8th Gen Tourer Spare Wheel

apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
There seems to have been quite a bit of discussion as to what spare / spacesaver will fit in what car (see link list). Whilst I've not much to say about the saloon, I thought I'd clear up once and for all the full size wheel in a tourer issue:

LINK 1 LINK 2 LINK 3 LINK 4 LINK 5 LINK 6 LINK 7

Remove (or in my case break :blush: ) the four fir tree clips and remove the boot tray.

FirTreeClips_zpszo6mczvz.jpg

Next lift out the polystyrene moulding holding the bottle of goop, jack and other bits and pieces.

PolystyreneTray_zpsh8vubjnh.jpg

You're left with a cavernous space, which takes the wheel nicely.

BootSpace_zpsqkwnnmdx.jpg

The bumps in the floor pan are arranged so the wheel is supported on the tyre rather than the rim, so no additional padding is required.

WheelInPlace_zpsptfcp73c.jpg

You will need an M8 x 80mm bolt and a block of wood, piece of aluminium or similar to secure the wheel in place. A fella at work turned up a nice plastic boss for the middle of mine. If you have access to a welder a tee-bar on the top of the bolt makes for easy removal.

Boss_zpsq05dnk7y.jpg

There is room to stow the jack by the side of the wheel, and I've filled the wheel dish with a few tools, the compressor etc wrapped in an old bath towel.

In summary: A 17x7.5J55 rim fitted with a 225/50R17 tyre will fit completely under the flap of a tourer boot.

Good write up Matt.

Yes this is what I've done on my tourer, except I have a 16" steel wheel and 205/50/16 tyre off an ES model Accord. Its the same diameter as the 17" wheel and tyre so is safe for spare use.

Incidentally the bolt fixing and cup are about £7 from Honda, but fair play nice bit of fabricating there.

Shame the saloon doesnt have this type of space, It'll only take a space saver.

from http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/22728-full-size-spare-wheel-22550-17-idtec-tourer-how-to/

Matt said:
I can't say in terms of cubic inches, but having had both the 8th Gen definitely isn't as practical.

I'm confused why the tray needs to be cut and re-fitted? The spare is hidden by the hinged boot floor. If I ever trade my car in and get rubbish money my undamaged tray and tub of goop are going back in the boot and my full size spare is going on eBay...

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19647-8th-gen-tourer-spare-wheel/

ah now I see, looks slightly different in the pics in this thread and it's not as big as the 7th gen Tourer