What's new

VSA Modulator Light

ok cheers guys. its not come on again today so lets hope that if i need to stop quickly between now and getting the sensor replaced that its a time when the light is off.....!!!

My VSA light has been on for 5 years. No problem with the car, but now it's an MOT fail. Got it diagnosed by Honda, Liverpool who confirmed 66-1 fault ABS modulator. £ 2138 to fix! Honda will not help in my case whatsoever as I haven't had my car serviced by Honda dealer! Going to get a recon part then get a different car probably not a Honda. No loyalty to me so why should I show loyalty to them! They knew this part failed years ago but kept it quiet!

Not sure this has been mentioned but I was told by a Honda engineer that the VSA modulator fault was due to Bosch supplying the units with insufficient gold protection at the terminals leading to premature corrosion. I'm amazed the cars affected weren't recalled but Honda told me it was up to VOSA to instigate a recall and they decided it wasn't a safety issue (even though the problem has been a cause of MOT failure since January 2012). You could weep sometimes especially as it's a very expensive replacement.

Not sure on that theory but I've been lead to believe its down to internal pressure sensor failures

Probably mentioned before in this thread, but for 66-1 faults BBA Reman can replace the internal sensor for about a tenth of the cost of a Honda replacement.

As Jon said this is your cheapest option if your out if the warranty bracket

just had car jacked up for check pre mot tomorrow, lowered down and took out for quick spin and wow abs warning light,vsa and another yellow light came on.have I disturbed anything or are these sensors so vulnerable.any ideas?

I've lost count of the number of times I've jacked my Accord up to replace pads, disks, droplinks, upper control arms, change oil, swop wheels, etc... and not once has the ABS/VSA light come on, so it isn't all that vulnerable!

Try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins and see if that clears the fault condition. Otherwise you'll need to go somewhere where they can read the VSA/ABS fault codes to pinpoint the problem.

cheers jon, car went to ford for mot and they plugged it into diagnostic machine( ihave only owned the car for three months so not sure of history) the reader identified over 300 historic faults abs being one of the last. He cleared codes and updated software apparently this turned off lights and car passed mot,on the way home about 5 miles they popped up again, is this going to be a costly fix and will this be a recurring fault, I love the car but not if its a money pit!!!

Well at least the code that's stored now should pinpoint the current problem. This would have once been potentially expensive, but - depending what the problem is - there are now cheaper alternatives to expensive OEM parts.

hi jon
got a diagnostic reader and came up with codes- p1065, p1384, p16A1, all of which are manufacturer specific codes. any ideas im at a loss?

Barry - P1065 = fuel pressure low (often caused by wrong/old fuel filter)
P1384 = glowplug circuit problems (possibly the relay or a cracked glow plug?)
P16a4 = ECU temporary error (often caused by a flat battery).
If you had all the codes cleared and these came back, then they are real issues!

Mark - VSA sensors needs to be 'balanced'... you need to find someone who has a Honda diagnostic system to do this for you,

I had a back street garage 'fix' the ABS/VSA fault, and are struggling with the little warning triangle. Muppets?

Maybe. Or maybe your fault is intermittent? Make sure the next person you take the car to does really have an HDS. Odd that the sensors need balancing/neutralising without one of them having been replaced recently.

84-1 can only be solved with a Honda system. I can do this.

About a month ago I got the dreaded lights of doom and a confirmed 66-1 Fault code (56 plate tourer with 88k).

Managed to take out the module myself and sent it off to ECUtesting.com but have just been told the unit is beyond repair. They are however going to give me a full refund minus return postage.

Good job really as I have just paid £200 for one from a breakers yard with 3 months warranty. Just hope it arrives soon and is functioning as promised as not sure the Wife can cope too much longer without the car.

These cars are fantastic, loads of space, comfy and full of toys. Just a shame they have such a massive achilles heel!!

Keep us posted and if you are doing a DIY please post some pics to help other members

Jon_G said:
Don't BBA Reman fix faulty modulator units (by replacing the internal sensor) for around £100?
As a back-up I sent my faulty unit off to BBA-Reman (just incase the breakers yard part either didn't show up or was duff). They confirmed the sensor is beyond repair (was originally quoted £99 to replace it) however they can replace the whole ABS block for £295 so I took the hit and said to exchange it. BBA Reman told me it's been despatched and should be here tomorrow. Figners crossed the car will be back on the road for the weekend fault free!

Rang the breakers up to see if they'd dispatched the part ordered from them and unfortunately they have. Just hoping they will give me a refund if I send it back to them.

All sorted!! No more lights and the car MOT'd for another 12 months.

Ended up fitting my repaired unit as the one from the scrapyard took an age to get here. Took about an hour and a half to refit it, spent most of that time tightening the brake unions as I was very paranoid about cross threading them!

BBA-Reman get some fairly bad reviews however I rang them up late Monday, ABS unit was picked up on the Tuesday and was back with me by Friday morning so all in all a good service and the unit comes with a lifetime warranty.

Thats the exhaust manifold and the ABS/VSA module fixed.... whats next? lol

Got a spare ABS module now. Will put it in the for sale section when I get 5 minutes.

Ehh it's been ages since I logged in. Hope all is well with my fellow accorders (I still own the same one!)
My car was parked on the street for about a week. When I started it up two days ago I noticed the ABS and VSA lights stay on, oh dear. I dreaded this moment :) Anyway, I went on and purchased OBD cable extension, shorted the 4 and 9 pins and this is what I got: 6 long and 6 short flashes, 9 long and 1 short. I did watch the loop going on for a while so I am certain these are correct. Just need a confirmation now, is it the VSA module giving up all of the sudden? Any help appreciated, Dan

Hi Dan, drop me an email I have something special for you. Not related to the vsa problem.

Message sent to your email address mate :)

VSA related - from crawling the internet it seems like 9-1 fault is related to SRS, which usually is the faulty unit. 6-6 it seems like faulty ABS sensor or the pump itself. Anyone can confirm this for me? Thanks, Dan

EDIT: found this page: http://www.diycardoctor.com/Downloads/SRS%20Airbag%20Trouble%20Codes/Honda%20Acura%20SRS%20Airbag%20Codes.txt

It actually seems like 6-6 and 9-1 are both related to faulty SRS unit. If so that would be much much cheaper to repair:) I think I won't go far without a visit in my local garage (other one than the one I did MOT at, £65 for adjusting hand brake and lights) Fingers crossed.

Bit of update. I managed to delete ABS fault by reseting the error code and it didn't come up again (yet). Vsa and ! are still on but self diagnostic shows 66 only now. I found used ABS modulator part on ebay for £125 I think it will be my only option. Also is it possible to fit the same modulator with slightly different part number?

It should be possible but you will need it calibrating. I'm normally in newbury most weeks if you need it doing

Thanks mate:) Will let you know for sure if I need your service:) I am considering sending mine for refurbishment, looking around atm.