What's new

VSA Modulator Light

Ugh, been on the hunt for several days now, feels like my head going to explode soon;/ I contacted BBA Reman company regarding refurbishment, they say thay can do it for £99+VAT and delivery after testing my unit faulty. Pretty good I think but after reading some reviews I got concerned a bit. I am afraid it may be the case of "yes, your unit is faulty but we cant repair it, please pay the test+delivery fee and we will return it to you or you can purchase one of the units we got in stock for £259". Will get in touch with Ecu Testing, seems like they do the same thing for £169+VAT but can't find my pump on their website. Luckily for me I am not in rush, got some time to think this over, search ebay and what not. Fingers crossed.

hello guys. for a while i have problem with vsa light... 66-1 fault found on HDS so there is no problem with sensors... can you tell me where exactly problem is ? is it PUMP or Modulator ? coz i'm confused... i would read this topic as i'm sure there is answer for this question already but i'm going to Poland tonight and i would like to order parts needed... so sorry about that and thanks for any help

This is the saga of my VSA repair which took over a month to complete.

On Monday 20th Oct 14 I took my Accord to my local garage for an MOT (which would run out 17th Nov) and to repair the faulty VSA unit, which I ***umed would be an MOT failure. Using the paperclip method to short out pins 5 & 9 on the diagnostic socket I had previously determined that it was a code 66 failure. Although I do most of my own servicing and repairs, it wasn’t practical to bleed both sides of the car as my drive isn’t wide enough.

Surprisingly, it passed the MOT with the VSA light just an advisory. The mechanic said that the ABS light would be a failure as would an ESC light but an ordinary garage wouldn’t know that VSA is Honda’s version of ESC. Anyway the VSA unit was removed and passed to me to organise the repair.

Two companies repair these units, both with lifetime warranties.
BBA Reman charge £129.60 for repair and posting back. Incidentally, they track their work by return postcode.
ECU Testing charge about £100 more than BBA.
So I posted my unit to BBA via My Hermes which cost £5.28.

It got there on Thursday 23rd and when I rang later that day, I was told that the unit would be repaired on Monday 27th. When I rang on the Monday, the repair was confirmed. I paid my £129.60 and it was to arrive back at the garage on Wed 29th.

I checked on progress with the garage on Friday 31st only to discover that it had not arrived. I rang BBA and was told that they had forgotten to post it and, as the garage was not open on Saturdays, it would arrive on Monday 3rd (Nov) which it did. Unfortunately when the garage fitted it, the code 66 could not be cleared.

I contacted Fahad for his advice and he thought the 66 could be a recalibration problem as he’d seen this before. So I drove over to Halifax and he used his Honda diagnostic system to confirm that there was still a 66 code failure. There are actually 4 possible causes of a 66 displayed on his laptop, 3 electrical problems and the usual sensor failure.
Code66-01_zps4eb6ad55.png

His garage investigated possible contact problems. The 37 pin connector to the VSA unit was very stiff and when removed, one of the 3 rows of contacts looked a little wonky and were straightened. The connector was lubricated to make it easier to fit but the VSA light was still on. Back with Fahad the VSA fuse was swapped with an adjacent identical fuse but to no avail. The conclusion was that the unit was still faulty.

I rang BBA on Monday 10th and raised a warranty claim. I was told that the unit would be collected the following day from the garage and when I queried if it needed a label, I was told the van would package it up and label it. However when the UPS van arrived on Tue 11th, they wouldn't take it as it wasn't boxed. They collected it the next day and it arrived back at BBA on Thursday 13th. On Friday I was told it was being worked on and later that it had been fixed but needed to remain stationary for 12 hours for adhesive to set and that it would be dispatched on Monday 17th.

It arrived at the garage on Tuesday 18th and was successfully installed.
The VSA light went out straight away but the 84 calibration code and the yellow exclamation light stayed on and were cleared with their Snapon system. (You can alternatively use a sequence of ingnition on/off and VSA OFF switch pushing).

The total cost was £135 for the BBA repair (the warranty claim was free), £168 garage charge for the first removal and refitting and £100 for the second, £403 in total. Still a considerable saving on the £2200 Honda charge (it’s 7 year old with 115k on the clock).

I tried to reclaim the £100 additional cost from BBA but it was rejected quoting their Terms & Conditions. I asked why it had failed when they test units before dispatch and they replied -

It appears there were two faults within the pump, one of the faults appeared to be intermittent and managed to pass the initial final testing. This was then spotted on the second time around and rectified. The other fault was surrounding the ‘driver’ chip on the PCB within the ECU controller. I cannot go into greater detail for obvious reasons but these chips are within all ABS pumps across the board and are prone to failure on all makes and models (not just Honda).

Fortunately I don’t use the car much as most journeys less than about 25 miles are cycled.

Thanks for sharing Jim, glad it's finally sorted!

Well at least you got it sorted Jim, good job. I am still not sure what to do with mine, I read so many bad storied about BBA and Ecu testing, I contacted both companies as well. I followed BBA facebook page but they had so much bad feedback there they hid their profile...right. Ecu testing werent completely clear about my part number, hence I am still hesitating. I will probably buy used part in the end and pray it doesn't fail.
I was also thinking about buying one from newer car (different part no) and coding it to my car, would that work?

Also Faddy, you are a star mate. I hope I can buy you a non-alcoholic drink some day. Shame I live quite far away;/ Once day though!

I'm sure we will meet one day ;)

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Guys. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After three successful years of trouble free motoring! Many thanks to this forum. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I bought this car 2.2 diesel sport (54 reg) @ 91,000, currently 146,000 and followed up with expert advise i.e. correct oil change, correct parts etc, touch wood no problems until last week when I experienced three lights on ( ABS+WARNING LIGHT+VOSA ).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After reading all the current threads of Honda Accord owners having same problem I manage to sort out my car fault and cost me £60 in all to fix it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Below I have step by step guide to how I managed to solve this problem.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1) My local garage who used code reader and it showed up rear right abs lead faulty.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2) I spoke to Honda and they charge approx £175 +vat , so I took the part number from them 2003-2008 57470SEA013.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3) I checked out eBay and a seller is selling these abs leads with same part number 57470SEA013 for 21.95 including 1 year guaranteed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4) I ordered the part and had independent garage mechanic to replace the old lead with new one for £40.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5) Once car fixed I drive it for about half a mile and all three lights CLEARED!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Great result for £60!! as supposed to ecu unit £300-£400 or £200 part from Honda plus fix.....[/SIZE]

Asif A. said:

[SIZE=12pt]After three successful years of trouble free motoring! Many thanks to this forum. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I bought this car 2.2 diesel sport (54 reg) @ 91,000, currently 146,000 and followed up with expert advise i.e. correct oil change, correct parts etc, touch wood no problems until last week when I experienced three lights on ( ABS+WARNING LIGHT+VOSA ).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After reading all the current threads of Honda Accord owners having same problem I manage to sort out my car fault and cost me £60 in all to fix it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Below I have step by step guide to how I managed to solve this problem.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1) My local garage who used code reader and it showed up rear right abs lead faulty.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2) I spoke to Honda and they charge approx £175 +vat , so I took the part number from them 2003-2008 57470SEA013.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3) I checked out eBay and a seller is selling these abs leads with same part number 57470SEA013 for 21.95 including 1 year guaranteed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4) I ordered the part and had independent garage mechanic to replace the old lead with new one for £40.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5) Once car fixed I drive it for about half a mile and all three lights CLEARED!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Great result for £60!! as supposed to ecu unit £300-£400 or £200 part from Honda plus fix.....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ebay seller is honda-77 [/SIZE]

Jon_G said:
Great news Asif.

If you are happy to recommend this eBay seller, then could you post a link please?
Yes sure Jon, sorry i forgot to ealrier, EBAY SELLER: honda-77

Asif A. said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhonda+part+&_nkw=honda+part+57470SEA013&_sacat=0

Great result thanks for sharing

Nice result mate, you were pretty lucky it wasn't the ABS pump itself:)
By the part you listed I understand your car is sedan? I had few of these sensors in my watched list but it turns out Tourers use different rear ABS sensors. Ones that are impossible to get cheap replacement for :(
Thanks for sharing!

Checked resistance for both rear Abs sensors, same value of 17.5MOhm. Found another problem as well but that is for another post:) The search continues! :)

I really hope they are not, both show the same resistance which admittedly is very high. Should probably measure voltage on each of them with ignition on to be sure.

I have a similar problem

VSA and ABS lights are on
Diesel Accord 2.2L

Covered 60,800 Miles but it's an 07 plate so I guess out of warranty?
Maybe worrying is the VSA light came on a couple of years ago. Honda repaired under warranty saying they replaced the VSA module, now it seems to be happening all over again.

Looking at the flashing ABS light when shorting out OBDII port I'm getting a mixed bag of codes:
and

86, not 66.

Can anyone decode these failure codes, it seems the 1X codes are related to all 4 wheel sensors, unlikely all 4 sensors would fail so I guess another issue is the cause of the problem.

Fault always clears when pulling away, only to come on 10 seconds or sometimes not at all on a 30 min drive. But has become more frequent. Most of the time its now on in 20 seconds and won't reset until re-starting the car.

Any ideas on the 86 code?

11, 13, 15, 17 & 12, 14, 16, 18 relate to the sensors and are DTCs common to both ABS and VSA

66 relates to the VSA pressure sensor, 86 indicates an F-CAN comms problem.

Some of these DTCs could be old, you should clear them all, and then re-check

Try deleting the errors and read them again. I used this info to clear mine:

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Update, On the VSA/ABS diesel problem

Thanks for the advice guys, really, really helpful!!

Diagnosis of the code 86 is really useful as I was struggling to find a clear answer on the net, as you said the codes are historical as I read the same usual codes out at lunch time when the car made it to work without any fault lights showing up, shame the computer does not flash them out in order of occurrence.

I've cleared the fault logs out today (Monday), as per your advice. Took me a couple of goes but easy when someone lets you know how to do it :)

Success, the fault codes are now erased.

On Sunday, before knowing how to erase codes or what 86 meant, I did charge up the battery for 4 hours as a last ditch attempt to do the simple stuff it took around 4 amps for the first half an hour, running voltage seemed ok before charging, around 13.3V. I'm not holding out much hope that it will be the answer but worth a try. The green battery indicator was showing before and after charge but the battery is around 4 years old now. No headlight diming when turning on other power hungry devices and turn over seems okay but maybe I'm used to it being slower than it should.

Drove to work today 22 miles, no fault, drove home after doing the ABS code clear down, as of tonight's drive home, I don't have any new fault entries but when I do hopefully it will be just a single code.

Haha, my brother just sent me a message regarding issue he was having with his Volvo S80 (limp mode on and off). He just had a scan, guess what part failed. Yep, blooming ABS pump;/ I laughed my *** off. Bosch as well.

A little update. Spent yesterday fixing rear suspension (hopefully did it right) and today I had a go at ABS pump. In the end I used second hand one which I got from Mikey80 (cheers mate!). Took me something shy of 5 hours, worst part was undoing the brake lines and wriggling the damn thing out. I took few photos and will probably do quick DIY on the subject. The result? Success, yay! I haven't driven the car yet but left it running for good half hour. No "!" or VSA light present. Pressing VSA button make "!" display on dashboard, pressing it again makes it go away. Will test drive tomorrow as going to garage to replace Front Upper Arm (can't do it myself, no tools;/) and to do wheels alignment.

Now the important thing is I decided to use any cheap modulator I could find. This resulted in different part no and different soft version (my part was 57110-SEG-E541 which was replaced with 57110-SEF-E551, I got a strong suspicion that SEG are installed in Tourers and SEF in Saloons and are basically just an indication. Might be wrong:) ).

Will report back in few days, Dan

Hi netto did you get aftermarket sensor or genuine as the genuine have brown marking one side if not they could be incorrectly fitted also did you re calibrate vsa after fitting sensors ¿

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Hi netto did you get aftermarket sensor or genuine as the genuine have brown marking one side if not they could be incorrectly fitted also did you re calibrate vsa after fitting sensors ¿

Hi,
i dont know much about origin of these sensors, but both of them works just fine, on the rear left side, Thats why i think i should look for another reason.
Please, how do i calibrate VSA ? I hear this for first time.... probably i can find it somewhere here i suppose :unsure:

Edit: those 3 warning signs - VSA, Exclamation mark, and Brake signs appear everytime i reach speed cca 30km/h and faster, and they stay there for all the time, after another start they are gone.

Calibration is done using Honda hds diagnostics