What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

First tank 46.3mpg. Much better then my last Accord
Paul is that Calculated or on the computer? my computer is saying around 46 over the last couple of tanks, but I have calculated it to about 43mpg, not too bad accuracy wise. Although I am sure my car has some sort of underlying issue with fuelling (well documented on the forum before people ask)

I'm on my currently on my first tank of fuel, with just under a quater left and I'm getting 45mpg
Thanks including 4pm work commutes and I've hardly been on motorways

Owned a '03 BMW 318 Ci SE previously, that got 31-32 on average

Paul is that Calculated or on the computer? my computer is saying around 46 over the last couple of tanks, but I have calculated it to about 43mpg, not too bad accuracy wise. Although I am sure my car has some sort of underlying issue with fuelling (well documented on the forum before people ask)

That was with fuel put in and calculated manually. I record all my fuel and put it into a nifty iPhone app. From memory the computer was showing very similar but mine resets when you refuel. I'll turn that off via the settings as I prefer to do it myself.

My first tankful gave me 45 MPG (mainly round town stuff) and the second one was a mixture of town commuting and a 250 mile round trip to Cardiff at the weekend (cruise on at a steady 70mph) and returned 48.4.

M

That was with fuel put in and calculated manually. I record all my fuel and put it into a nifty iPhone app. From memory the computer was showing very similar but mine resets when you refuel. I'll turn that off via the settings as I prefer to do it myself.

Cheers Paul, I do the same, use teh Iphone app. But interestingly I dont think mine resets manually when I refule as I always do it as I drive off the forecourt and its still reading the same as when I stopped on the mpg counter. I know that there is trip A and trip B, I always leave A and reset B unless these two trips work differently.

I was reading the manual (yes I'm sad) and it explains in there how to customise a few bits in that.

Trip A and Trip B work seperately for MPG & Distance so if you reset Trip B and then go through the computer you'll get mileage and mpg for Trip B, if you select Trip A and then go through the computer you get mileage and MPG from when you last reset trip A. Hope that makes sense.

I have mine set to reset Trip A on the adding of fuel and I just leave Trip B, which I believe on the mileage counter goes back to 0 when it gets to 999 miles however the mpg doesnt reset.

I was reading the manual (yes I'm sad) and it explains in there how to customise a few bits in that.

I accidently set the speed alarm one day and had to read the manual on how to set that up properly now she bings at 75 and 80mph mainly for when the missus has the car as she's got a rather heavy right foot! lol

Hi, I've just done a full tank's worth - well my wife's done most of the miles. Mostly around town but some motorway miles. The spedo says 47mpg but the maths says 39mpg. A huge difference! I've just filled up at Shell, reset and then going to see how it goes. This is on a Stage 1 remap by Fahad. Mind you this was half way through the tank.

Have a Civic - Stage 2 remap. Trip computer says 45mpg but the maths says 40.4mpg! what is up with these Honda computers?

It looks like the remaps throw them out quite a bit bud.

Just to update, my remapped van is returning 30 - 32 mpg. Not bad for a 3 tonne box!

Can all the tourer i-ctdi drivers post their mpg and fuel range here please... I'm wondering if this just what the tourer does compared to the saloon. If so, I never personally realised there was so much difference.

I've been disappointed with my mpg (05 2.2 ctdi tourer). Mixed driving and get 34-35 if I don't think about it; if I really concentrate and make an effort to drive carefully, I can get it up to 38-39. Never seen 40.

Hiya,
My '56 plate 2.2cdti tourer gets between 23mpg (I tow...) and I have seen 60 on a trip over 80 or so miles from full, albeit on the clock.
Didn't last long.
Since reading this, I've started calculating actual mpg and I agree that it seems to average 2-3 mpg higher on the dash than actual. I think this is probably down to the over reading speedo (1-2mph at 30mph, and 2-3 at 50 mph), but I haven't worked that bit out on paper, yet. If it thinks you're going faster, it thinks you're going further!

Bottom line is 37ish on a 'busy' week, 44mpg on a negligent week, and quite easily better than 50mpg if I watch the ticker on the clock! If I get to 55 (rarely to be honest), I feel guilty and generally give it a good head of steam to clean out the exhaust!
I do approx 250 - 300miles a week, >20k a year.

I'm happy!

I used to get about the same on a similar sized Laguna (1.9dCi), just hoping the turbo gets past 80k on this 'un...?

It looks like the remaps throw them out quite a bit bud.

Just to update, my remapped van is returning 30 - 32 mpg. Not bad for a 3 tonne box!
So, are you saying that the remap has an inpact on the computer? Do you think it's a tinker by the remap people to make you 'think' you've got a good deal?

I am not claiming anyrhing particularly it seems, and i might be wrong that a map changes duel pressures amongst other things. I know my obc Is not right; in both my Honda, and with my realtime readings of my tranny's fuel flow through obd.

For example. My tranny over a long motorway run reads a realtime flow avg of 25 mpg. Calculated from fuel in fuel out I am actually getting 30

So, are you saying that the remap has an inpact on the computer? Do you think it's a tinker by the remap people to make you 'think' you've got a good deal?

Shanks - not as far as I'm aware. I don't have a trip computer in my prefacelift so its hard to comment but I think this is an issue unique to Honda ICTDI's if it is happening - it must be due to the way the trip computer is calculating its figures, and one of those variables (possibly airflow) are being adjusted and therefore knocking out the trip computer readings.. Only a theory but I've read something similar on the Civic forums from another companies remap and similar issue.

This is why I say don't trust the computers, just calculate real mileage (for me that's the only option anyway).

Done about 1000 miles in my 2005 diesel Tourer Sport (5sp), calculating manually I'm averaging 48.5 MPG in mixed motorway, rural and town driving, with a few blasts and spells in stationary traffic.

Given my 87 BHP Astra G 1.6 8V petrol managed 39 MPG on a good day when I was driving like a little old lady, I am not unadjacent to chuffed with this figure! B)

work journeys:

IMAG0291.jpg

social journeys it's more like 40 on the screen as i usually have at least two downhill bikes on the roof!!

brilliant compared to the type r i had before!!

mat.

When you get stuck in a queue of traffic behind some moron doing 35 - 50 on long straight country roads, about 45mpg. People who cant hold a constant pace should be shot. All this needless braking and accelerating!

At one point on a mile long straight, we came on to the straight doing about 40, sped up to 55 then were back down to 40 by halfway along the straight. Absolutely no need for the constant change of speed. It drives me mad, especially when there are limited overtaking opportunities, even if I could pass there was about 6 cars in front of me (behind the culprit) so I'd have to do them all to get out of the madness and there just never a chance on that road to take 7 at once.

They turned off before I got a chance to see who was driving, so speculation that it was some old biddy will have do.

calculated mpg 62.2

car computer 68.7

number of miles covered 775 on one tank :D

:eek: You must be hitching a ride like KnightRider or something, that mileage is insane! :D

Or have you had the spare replaced with a secondary tank??

I've been keeping my Mph down to and from work and tend to get about 49-54 to the gallon, but yesterday I drove to Scotland and decided to hypermile it...

463.9 miles using 31.59 litres of fuel = 66.8 mpg! Trip computer was reading 70.4 mpg when I filled up, which seems to be about the usual error margin it gives.

The highest mpg I saw on the drive was 70.5, but I'll see if I can beat that on the way back. Predicted range was 820 ish miles. I took a picture when I filled up, but it wasn't saved. I did get one just as I was coming into my destination, which survived.

Pretty happy with that! :D

Finally got some MPGs to report:

Before engine died approx 40mpg

First long journey, mix of 80mph on motorways with the occasional boost to 90 and village creeping 390 / 8.14 = 47.79 mpg :D

:eek: You must be hitching a ride like KnightRider or something, that mileage is insane! :D

Or have you had the spare replaced with a secondary tank??

I was very pleased with it - mixture of motorway with cruise set at 65mph and A roads through the Scottish Borders so I have a feeling there may be more! :)

It could have been very boring but there were a few blasts although on the whole I didn't need to touch the brakes as I kept a good distance from those in front.

What a car :)

I was very pleased with it - mixture of motorway with cruise set at 65mph and A roads through the Scottish Borders so I have a feeling there may be more! :)

It could have been very boring but there were a few blasts although on the whole I didn't need to touch the brakes as I kept a good distance from those in front.

What a car :)

Fair play to you sir if you can cruise at 65 - hopefully I will be able to manage it too someday but for now I am happy with 47mpg at my speeds. ;)

I've been keeping my Mph down to and from work and tend to get about 49-54 to the gallon, but yesterday I drove to Scotland and decided to hypermile it...

463.9 miles using 31.59 litres of fuel = 66.8 mpg! Trip computer was reading 70.4 mpg when I filled up, which seems to be about the usual error margin it gives.

The highest mpg I saw on the drive was 70.5, but I'll see if I can beat that on the way back. Predicted range was 820 ish miles. I took a picture when I filled up, but it wasn't saved. I did get one just as I was coming into my destination, which survived.

Pretty happy with that! :D

Cool! Is it the saloon you have?

Hypermile = constant speed and non use of brakes except where essential?

Cool! Is it the saloon you have?

Hypermile = constant speed and non use of brakes except where essential?

Hypermiling - I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.

I have the tourer!

I removed my remap for the time being as the summer camping season is here and I find towing produces a lot of smoke. I think my fuel economy has actually gone up. This might be because when remapped I have better power and upt my foot down more :)

Still lucky to get 500 out of a tank though...