What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

I just watched the highlights, man England got the spanking of a lifetime but Ireland played their hearts out. Last world cup, Ireland caused the death (inadvertently of course) of Bob Wilmer. I hope all is well in the England camp tonight!

I hope Pakistan take stock of England's thrashing tonight and aren't complacent against Canada tomorrow..

Dude I will support England too, it doesn't have to split loyalties all the time - it's just a game!!

Just to provide further clarification on this matter - if you have a 7th gen Accord i-CTDI, pre facelift or facelift and are experiencing fumes in the cabin then have this checked at your nearest Honda dealership asap.

You can possibly diagnose yourself too if you lift the bonnet, start the engine and smell for fumes at the back of the engine toward the bulkhead (near the brake fluid reservoir). Your engine may also sound leaky/tappety if the crack is bad.

If it is cracked, and it complies with Honda's 7 year or less than 125k mile warranty conditions - they will replace it Free Of Charge, even without service history.

The replacement part is supposedly a revised design. The old manifold is a two part cast which is welded in the middle - and it's the welds that crack. The revised design is a single cast design.

Hope that helps - this is a very common issue.

can i get my manifold cahnged under warranty fahad? it is a 2005 model with under 125k? the manifold is cracked and i am experiancing smoke and fumes?

Yeah you shouldn't have a problem Boday - I just got mine replaced FOC, warranty due to expire 09/11 and my motor has 113k on it!

Yes mate, should be clear cut with those details.

Took my car into Swansway Honda Manchester yesterday, regarding the cracked manifold on my car. They had a look at it and confirmed that the manifold was cracked, however they said that they would make a claim to Honda UK regarding the fitting of the manifold at their expense. I received a phone call a couple of hours later from the garage regarding the service history on my car, it was serviced at Honda about 5-6 times, but after that its been done privately.
I got a phone call from the Swansway Honda guy today saying that the work cannot be done at Honda's expense as it hasn't been serviced at the main dealers all its life. I explained that my car met the criteria of being under 7 years old and that its only covered 102k miles, but it seems that Honda are playing hardball. I'm very frustrated about this. I was advised by the guy to contact Honda customer care regarding this issue.

Has anyone been through this regarding their cracked manifold? If I can't get it done by them, then I ***ume that is a dealer only part or could I source an aftermarket manifold? I was wondering why I was getting headaches recently and I'm pretty sure that this has been the cause.

Honda's are not made like they used to be anymore thats for sure, and I'm seriously considering getting rid of this car!

this would certainly cause headaches. if is CO poisening.

as far as i was aware it didn't matter about service history.

Servicing or not servicing the car can have no real bearing on the exhaust manifold cracking. I would have thought at the very least this a health and safety issue.
They're just using the service history as an excuse. If it was the timing chain, the service history would have a bearing on it, but not the exhaust manifold.

Wow that's the first time I've heard of Honda rejecting a claim for cracked manifold!

They never even asked for my SH and I believe lots of members from various parts of the country have had this done now without the need for a SH check.

It's absolutely a design flaw and a manufacturing problem so SH should not come into it. I would urge that you contact Honda directly and raise your concerns. This is a H&S issue afterall.

I got in touch with Honda customer care in the afternoon and had a long conversation regarding my problem, I raised the issue regarding Health and Safety. The man on the phone took down all my details and said that someone will be contacting me on Monday about it. I'm hoping I hear some good news from them.

stick to your guns find and read all the various threads...knowledge is power.

**edit** :p

update lads!

having took your advice and chased up the manifold issue!!! as mine was severly leaking fumes and smoke out of it! lol... down in power etc etc. i rang honda uk, they told me to contact my nearest dealer, i did, told them the issue, they said this was an ongoing issue with the 7th gen accords, they put the claim in for the warranty work, as my car quailfies for the 7 year warranty upto 125k so they got back to me after two weeks, they booked me in today and fitted a new revsion manifold, gasket and heat shield, completely free!!!!!!!! no questions asked!! only the registration and year of the car and the mliles, but they did querie the fault, they had it a day and i have it back, still slight smoke out the rear exhaust but not the engine bay, the car cabin is far fresher an they say the smoke out of the exhaust will clear, hopefully it will or i will be back to them, butall in all! great information lads and a great job! and it worked a treat........... :rolleyes: :) :) :)

i just have to get a pollen filter? does it matter if i by a geniune honda one?

Bodey

I can't understand why Gul had his claim rejected then. I thought it might have been a recent change in policy, but obviously not after reading Kevy's post...

The bleeding idiots over at Honda got back to me today, they aint gonna sort me out with a new manifold, tried everything with them.

Does anyone know the best thing to do? I'm not willing to fork out £300 on a new manifold, just thinking if there are any places where I can get hold of an aftermarket one? Or could I get it welded? But that would probably mean having to replace the gaskets and seals etc (which i don't mind doing). Please advise.

If i cant get this sorted, then I'll probably sell the car.

They must have given you a reason by now!?

Gul, what is the reason?

In 3 years of running with the Accord scene, genuinely, you are the first person I've seen to be rejected for a manifold claim. There must be a reason?

You could have it welded up again. Another member did this himself recently (Tony).

It has to be serviced all its life at honda apparently........I explained to the women over the phone that others didnt need it so why me? Its maybe because they are trying to keep there costs down, plus because my car is a taxi.

I know it's hassle mate, but you should formally write to them and express your concern. A cracked manifold has no bearing on the cars service history. It's a design fault, plain and simple. Having it re-welded is not a massive job to be honest. Take it to any reputable local garage and ask them to remove it and re-weld it properly.

I did explain to them the fact of it having no bearing on the cracked manifold, but the prat was having none of it. Are there any other manufacturers of the manifold out there? or how much would a stainless one cost, would it be cheaper?

It has to be serviced all its life at honda apparently.......

No vehicle has to be serviced at a main dealer, within a warranty period, the EU made this law a few years ago, but you have to use OE parts or OE spec parts.

Can't you try taking it to another dealer?

his ref will be registered with huk now so it won't matter which dealer you use.

i am stunned that you are being rejected.

keep at them i would!

a salutory lesson about regular servicing though.

I think it would be worth while putting it all in writing to Honda, and ask them to reconsider It is totally unreasonable to involve servicing on nonserviceable part.

Makes no sense to me... I took my '55 plate to Avonvale Honda for a routine service and they changed the manifold for free - I didn't even realise there was a problem!

Previous owner had been servicing it at Jaguar so can't be a case of full Honda history required...

Also although the dealerships don't get full whack for warranty work it's still money so why would they not do it??

I to am mythed as to why they aren't sorting you out. Took mine in with no service history since 2007 and I didn't notice the smell either but they changed it free of charge.

Is there another Honda Garage that you can take it to?

his reg will be registered with huk now so it won't matter which dealer you use.

This is madness its plan as paper if there is 7 years or 125k warranty because of a manufacturing fault this shouldn't be a problem.Or like Fahad said have Honda changed this CJ we need your input lol

I had my manifold done a couple of years ago now at my local dealer, now 20k miles later the car smells quite fumey again. I had a sniff under the bonnet and it is smelly near the battery. Any ideas what it could be? I noticed it a few months ago but ***umed it was the gas heater thingy but in this warm weather that gas heater wont be coming on so it must be exhaust fumes. I was of the understanding that the new part would work fine and had rectified the cause of the original crack, anyone else had any issues after having the replacement? Surely it cant have cracked again?
Thanks,
Simon

Interestingly when I changed my oil the other night I noticed that there is a bit of metal that seems to cover the manifold, one of the bolts securing this had fallen off so it was rattling. I don’t suppose this could have anything to do with the fumey smell. Has anyone got one of those exploded parts diagram for the area? Perhaps the manifold relies on the bolt being in the hole to seal properly?

I have stuck another bolt in the hole and am hoping it wont work its way lose like the old one must have.